Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

Skylark

Visit site
Yesterday there was hardly anyone at JWD, today lots more. Bit of a nuisance that only the disabled toilet is open. Loch Seaforth was being parked by tugs as I left and the Glen Sannox looks even further away from completion.
How do you think it will evolve over the next couple of weeks? Did you speak to Dom or Graeme about launching? Is there much of a queue, do you know?

Assuming the green light for w/c 26th, I'm hoping to be there for a couple of days mid-week to get the boat ready and launch by the end of the week.

awol

Visit site
How do you think it will evolve over the next couple of weeks? Did you speak to Dom or Graeme about launching? Is there much of a queue, do you know?

Assuming the green light for w/c 26th, I'm hoping to be there for a couple of days mid-week to get the boat ready and launch by the end of the week.
Graeme was noticable by his absence, Dom was his usual non-committal self. Pauline told me that Dom has a list of 30-odd boats to be sorted into dates that my boat is on. I reckon he can dunk about 8 boats a day except for those like me that need their mast stepped and I have a wheen of Etchells 'tween me and the door. As always they will do their best and with humour.

CapPugwash

Visit site
I got in on Tuesday..... But now stuck waiting for my fuel filter housing to be replaced. :rolleyes:

Hoping to go round the Mull early May, as soon as the tide works.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Yesterday there was hardly anyone at JWD, today lots more. Bit of a nuisance that only the disabled toilet is open. Loch Seaforth was being parked by tugs as I left and the Glen Sannox looks even further away from completion.
If they had any sense it would be bean tins by now and a replacement built to the right spec(i.e. not gas) by a yard that know what they're doing.

Simon__

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a cheap, secure pontoon for either 6 month or annual basis please? Contract is up with Kip next week and hoping to cut costs slightly - lovely place and staff but the benefits aren’t being realised at the frequency I am visiting (once last year :( )

Had hoped for Portavadie but they’re all booked up, any similar suggestions? Not concerned if remote so long as it doesn’t involve a ferry ride. Not considering a swinging mooring as I can’t guarantee I will be able to visit regularly enough. As a frame of reference I am considering Inverness..

penfold

Visit site
Have you tried the canal? Bellanoch is very sheltered. Sandbank in the Holyloch is worth a try too, as is Tarbert, Loch Fyne. I'd suggest Campbeltown but they eat their young down there. :ROFLMAO:

ianj99

Visit site
The weather is looking good, if not a heatwave, for the weekend and into next week. Hopefully it will last long enough for me to paint the chain plates, fit a new stripe and do few more outdoor jobs before she goes back in, mid May.
Doing without the masts this year as I am hemmed in and will only have a few weekends to visit my floating static caravan.

Railbob

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a cheap, secure pontoon for either 6 month or annual basis please? Contract is up with Kip next week and hoping to cut costs slightly - lovely place and staff but the benefits aren’t being realised at the frequency I am visiting (once last year :( )

Had hoped for Portavadie but they’re all booked up, any similar suggestions? Not concerned if remote so long as it doesn’t involve a ferry ride. Not considering a swinging mooring as I can’t guarantee I will be able to visit regularly enough. As a frame of reference I am considering Inverness..
The last time I spoke to Craig at Portavadie ,they were considering adding another leg possibly two. If this is still the case there might be room later in the year , I'll be seeing Craig on Tuesday and I'll ask if it's going forward.

Simon__

Visit site
The last time I spoke to Craig at Portavadie ,they were considering adding another leg possibly two. If this is still the case there might be room later in the year , I'll be seeing Craig on Tuesday and I'll ask if it's going forward.
Good to know, but looks like I’ll miss out this year as he mentioned there’s a waiting list for the smaller pontoons. There are still some 10m pontoons available which would be very good value for bigger yachts but not for us unfortunately.
Have you tried the canal? Bellanoch is very sheltered. Sandbank in the Holyloch is worth a try too, as is Tarbert, Loch Fyne. I'd suggest Campbeltown but they eat their young down there. :ROFLMAO:
Good shout, I hadn’t consider Tarbert. I’ve secured a berth / time ashore at the Holy Loch for May and may look to spend June on a 30 day pass in the canals.

Campbeltown treated us well when we visited, though the ferry wasn’t impressed when we were sat in their berth while the harbour master made space for us.. Didn’t find a great choice of takeaways though!

D

Deleted member 36384

Found that earlier this week unfortunately. Dunstaffnage is similar, though they may have some tidally restricted berths I believe.

Popular year it seems!

There was a glut of berths a few years ago but I believe there has been a steady increase in demand since then.

Quandary

Visit site
The Crinan Canal is not restricted to Bellanoch but if you do not use your boat much you should feel at home there, however only Bellanoch and the two basins have long term berths with shorepower, if the location suits call Helen to see what she still has, number is on the Crinan Calal opening thread. I know there is still one berth available where I moor at Crinan Rings but no shorepower or services on that pontoon. The benefits of the Canal are rain, midges, mildew, tea coloured water, all incuded in the price, however while there is limited security outside Bellanoch, crime and vandalism has never been a problem in the 17 years I have been here. Access hours and days are now very limiting but the deal usually gives you free access to the other Scottish Canals, including the Cally.

ctva

Visit site
One day, Mr Q will post something positive about the Crinan and Bellanoch in particular. Not sure why??? :rolleyes:

or maybe not...

However, if you are looking for good value, the canals are right up there With the best.
Ok, restricted to 8.30am to 5/7pm (ish) depending on season but how often do you leave or return after that? And you need a BSS cert which costs around £250 for 4 years.
As to non moving boats at Bellanoch, it is probably a higher use percentage than most marinas.
Advantages, fresh water, very sheltered, even in winter and ice is not the problem people think it is in hard winters.
Antifoul not needed, we lift out ever 4 years, Hydraulic manned locks so no effort at the west end, safe, good boating community, (mostly) friendly staff and locals, quiet.

So all in all Scottish Canals is a good place, not perfect, but nowhere is. Worth looking.

Quandary

Visit site
Aaaaw Chris! You always look on the bright side of life, good for you.
My main gripe is about the restricted hours, I took part in the consultation exercise about charging a few years ago, the consultants report said that the berthing charges were fair, taking account of the restricted access hours at the time compared to a marina. Since then they have ceased evening opening at the sealocks at weekends, which helped enormously at Crinan where the tides on the approaches are strong, last year they stopped opening Tuesdays and Wednesday, as well as Saturday and Sunday every fourth week when the canal is only accessible 16% of the time, this has now become permanent, probably not a problem for those who rarely go out but I regard that as a significant reduction in the service offered, surprised that you are so happy about it.

wully1

Visit site
Advantages, fresh water, very sheltered, even in winter and ice is not the problem people think it is in hard winters.
Antifoul not needed, we lift out ever 4 years, Hydraulic manned locks so no effort at the west end, safe, good boating community,

Ice...I kept a boat at Bellanoch one winter - a cold one it was to. I could walk round my boat for about a week the ice was that thick. There was a tiny gap of free water all the way round the waterline along with a nice wear ring in the antifouling.
I seem to remember 2 boats almost sank when the thaw came as they’d left sea Cocks open and the ice had split the hoses at the through hull tails.

fifer

Visit site

I seem to remember that youhad moved to the east end of the Clyde. Did that not work out?

If you're thinking of going further afield you might want to take a look at the Ardfern marina moorings. They offer a bring alongside service (extra cost) if you request it, although your boat would live on the mooring itself. If you only use it a few times a year the cost could be competitive with a pontoon berth. Plus you have world class sailing on the doorstep.

Last edited:

ianj99

Visit site
I seem to remember that youhad moved to the east end of the Clyde. Did that not work out?

If you're thinking of going further afield you might want to take a look at the Ardfern marina moorings. They offer a bring alongside service (extra cost) if you request it, although your boat would live on the mooring itself. If you only use it a few times a year the cost could be competitive with a pontoon berth. Plus you have world class sailing on the doorstep.
Mooring holders also get occasional ovenight pontoon berth and 50% off additional days. (6month min term)

Ardfern Yacht Centre, by Lochgilphead, Scotland