Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

Simon__

Visit site
I seem to remember that youhad moved to the east end of the Clyde. Did that not work out?

If you're thinking of going further afield you might want to take a look at the Ardfern marina moorings. They offer a bring alongside service (extra cost) if you request it, although your boat would live on the mooring itself. If you only use it a few times a year the cost could be competitive with a pontoon berth. Plus you have world class sailing on the doorstep.

We’re in a slight purgatory as my partner and I both work in Glasgow city centre but we’ve been working remotely since last March and haven’t yet moved up as we started at the beginning of / during lockdown. It’s just meant the boat has been sat in Inverkip (which is a lovely place) unused. We’re looking to hedge our bets and move somewhere slightly cheaper, even if more inconvenient (Portavadie would have been ideal) so it doesn’t sting quite as much if we didn’t get any use out of the boat. Our Companies are also not expected to bring us back into the office until at least October, so when our house sells we will move into a relatives holiday home in the highlands while we looked for somewhere permanent around Glasgow and that gives us an opportunity to berth somewhere much further North over the summer.. interesting times! Expect we will be back in the Clyde / Kip come October. ?
Edit: Just looking into Ardfern now and could be ideal, another cold call to make tomorrow!

However, if you are looking for good value, the canals are right up there With the best.
Ok, restricted to 8.30am to 5/7pm (ish) depending on season but how often do you leave or return after that? And you need a BSS cert which costs around £250 for 4 years.
As to non moving boats at Bellanoch, it is probably a higher use percentage than most marinas.
Advantages, fresh water, very sheltered, even in winter and ice is not the problem people think it is in hard winters.
Antifoul not needed, we lift out ever 4 years, Hydraulic manned locks so no effort at the west end, safe, good boating community, (mostly) friendly staff and locals, quiet.

So all in all Scottish Canals is a good place, not perfect, but nowhere is. Worth looking.
The certificate is the main part that puts me off if I’m honest and as this will hopefully only be for this summer I’m not sure it would be worthwhile. I didn’t expand on that point in my original post though, so thank you for the suggestion!
I am hoping for 30 days or so between the canals this year though so look forward to realising the benefits of fresh water locks!

Railbob

Visit site
We’re in a slight purgatory as my partner and I both work in Glasgow city centre but we’ve been working remotely since last March and haven’t yet moved up as we started at the beginning of / during lockdown. It’s just meant the boat has been sat in Inverkip (which is a lovely place) unused. We’re looking to hedge our bets and move somewhere slightly cheaper, even if more inconvenient (Portavadie would have been ideal) so it doesn’t sting quite as much if we didn’t get any use out of the boat. Our Companies are also not expected to bring us back into the office until at least October, so when our house sells we will move into a relatives holiday home in the highlands while we looked for somewhere permanent around Glasgow and that gives us an opportunity to berth somewhere much further North over the summer.. interesting times! Expect we will be back in the Clyde / Kip come October. ?
Edit: Just looking into Ardfern now and could be ideal, another cold call to make tomorrow!

The certificate is the main part that puts me off if I’m honest and as this will hopefully only be for this summer I’m not sure it would be worthwhile. I didn’t expand on that point in my original post though, so thank you for the suggestion!
I am hoping for 30 days or so between the canals this year though so look forward to realising the benefits of fresh water locks!
As
Hi Simon, I have spoken to Craig at Portavadie and due to the current situation they will not be adding the extra legs at this time.

Railbob

Visit site
We launched at today at Portavadie, a bit quicker than I expected but everything worked out well and we managed to get the important stuff done before launch. A big thank you to everyone at Portavadie even when I stuffed up getting the engine running ? I hadn’t seen Sea Holly in 6 months and she wasn’t as bad as I thought, yes she was manky and I now have to get new lazy jacks but overall not bad.?