Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

dunedin

Visit site
Must be nice to have people to do these things! I'm surprised you have that level of trust.

Realised a long time ago that with marina lift fees, paying somebody to do the antifoul overnight was cheaper than doing it myself.

And checking underwater integrity and replacing anodes definitely qualifies as essential maintenance in my book.

Biggest struggle was the traffic jams on the M8 and onwards - very busy.

dunedin

Visit site
I think the big issue with that is still the variation. Much of Scotland is doing well (7-day averages cases: 24 in Dumfries and Galloway, 7 in Argyll and Bute, 21 in Highland, 36 in Inverclyde) but the situation is still dire across the west Central Belt (107 in Glasgow, 132 in North Lanarkshire, 201 in West Lothian).

Edinburgh isn't too bad, but I really don't think it's time yet for unrestricted travel.

But that is absolutely nothing to do with the bizarre post code lottery on travel to meet families or exercise outdoors - neither of which are likely causes off ANY significant transmission. And clearly the unique Scottish Local Authority rule is not helping as Scotland still has higher rates than elsewhere.
The official medical officer said a chunk was due to schools restarting, not just kids but parents meeting at the gates. None of that reduced by the travel restriction. Also HUGE numbers of people travelling for work, squeezed 2-3 up in the cabs of white vans and trucks. As they are probably younger than most, that is probably also contributing to rates in areas with higher proportion of manual workers.
Surely we should ban alchohol in Scotland as probably more deaths from that than Covid now? Oh and now it will be fine for politicians to go canvassing door to door, as super spreaders, because that suits their agenda.

awol

Visit site
But that is absolutely nothing to do with the bizarre post code lottery on travel to meet families or exercise outdoors - neither of which are likely causes off ANY significant transmission. And clearly the unique Scottish Local Authority rule is not helping as Scotland still has higher rates than elsewhere.
The official medical officer said a chunk was due to schools restarting, not just kids but parents meeting at the gates. None of that reduced by the travel restriction. Also HUGE numbers of people travelling for work, squeezed 2-3 up in the cabs of white vans and trucks. As they are probably younger than most, that is probably also contributing to rates in areas with higher proportion of manual workers.
Surely we should ban alchohol in Scotland as probably more deaths from that than Covid now? Oh and now it will be fine for politicians to go canvassing door to door, as super spreaders, because that suits their agenda.
You seem to have correlation and causation confused. Fomenting sedition seems unworthy when release is not far and if/when I am called as a witness I would find it difficult to condone replacing anodes on a vessel ashore as "essential maintenance" justifying 140 miles of driving through the worst Covid affected areas - I suppose you were just testing your eyes!

dunedin

Visit site
You seem to have correlation and causation confused. Fomenting sedition seems unworthy when release is not far and if/when I am called as a witness I would find it difficult to condone replacing anodes on a vessel ashore as "essential maintenance" justifying 140 miles of driving through the worst Covid affected areas - I suppose you were just testing your eyes!

Zero Covid risk driving to boat and back, not stopping and not associating with any people at all. And you can apply your own judgement to your own essential maintenance.

But we are in a sad state of affairs when Covid is worse managed here than by Hancock and Co. — vaccination in a Scotland over a week behind England, and Lothian been the worst in Scotland for over 2 months with no remedial action. Fixing that some weeks ago might have reduced the hotspots more than bizarre rules which are not related to transmission factors.
And a land with the most safe open spaces, there are huge packed in crowds most days in the local hill car parks, as nobody is allowed to safely spread out to reduce contact.

awol

Visit site
Zero Covid risk driving to boat and back, not stopping and not associating with any people at all. And you can apply your own judgement to your own essential maintenance.

But we are in a sad state of affairs when Covid is worse managed here than by Hancock and Co. — vaccination in a Scotland over a week behind England, and Lothian been the worst in Scotland for over 2 months with no remedial action. Fixing that some weeks ago might have reduced the hotspots more than bizarre rules which are not related to transmission factors.
And a land with the most safe open spaces, there are huge packed in crowds most days in the local hill car parks, as nobody is allowed to safely spread out to reduce contact.
An opportunity has opened for you to make your feelings count. I believe the Alba party is looking for candidates with populist views.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
vaccination in a Scotland over a week behind England ...
The most recent figures for first dose are 44.31% in England, 42.52% in Scotland (and 42.55% in Wales, 37.58% in NI) on Friday. England passed through 42.52% on Tuesday, so in fact we are only three days behind and almost exactly level-pegging with Wales.

Furthermore, we're well ahead of England in second doses - 4% there, 5.1% here, and both waaaaay behind Wales' 12.4%.

Overall I don't see to much to worry about. All bits of the UK seems to be doing pretty well at vaccination.

All figures from Travelling Tabby.

JonWA

Visit site
I honestly beleive that most of the population is all ready going about their business. The roads seem practically back to normal now, just without the queues around shopping centres.
People are avoiding public transport, not surprising roads are busy. Infection rates in scotland are the highest in UK. Believe what you wish, but the facts are unavoidable.

wully1

Visit site
For all the selfish twats whining about not getting to play with your toys before you are allowed but going to come anyway there are signs going up in shops saying if you are not local stay out until restrictions lift..

Of course that won’t apply to anyone on here.

D

Deleted member 36384

People are avoiding public transport, not surprising roads are busy. Infection rates in scotland are the highest in UK. Believe what you wish, but the facts are unavoidable.

The roads are actually very quiet. I am just back from a work related job at Felixstow and all the roads were quiet both ways, Thursday and Saturday: M74, M6, A66, A1(M) and all the A class roads leading to Felixstow. I have been to Argyle and Bute twice now, both times looking at Property, a permitted reason to travel, the roads are dead as of two weeks ago. From where I live, the bus to Edinburgh has people on it, I see them queuing at the bus stop almost every day.

If you have a permitted reason to travel, take your own food and drink. Public toilets in Inveraray are open, as are the petrol Station loos where I stopped. Fish and chip shop at Inverarary still sells to the public with a door side service desk and the garage outside Lochgilphead is still selling breakfast rolls, bacon butties etc to anyone who wants to pay. The Rest and Be Thankfull fast food van is contracted to the workers shoring up the valley sides, and will not sell to the public. Your money is good for business, some business's still want it.

As a by the the way. One of the properties I looked at, had an over the top offer put in on the day I looked at it, on condition the property be removed from the market and no other offers received. I didn't even get a chance to put an offer in. No idea if that is representative of the market for holiday homes or was a one off. It was in a desirable location.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
For all the selfish twats whining about not getting to play with your toys before you are allowed but going to come anyway there are signs going up in shops saying if you are not local stay out until restrictions lift..

No but tell us which ones don't want us at the moment and we will remember that later when they are begging for customers or more bail out money.

D

Deleted member 36384

No but tell us which ones don't want us at the moment and we will remember that later when they are begging for customers or more bail out money.

Why should he? How a business wants to manage it's business and serve its customer base is up to them.

wully1

Visit site

Sorry to have to tell you that they don’t need you to survive as there is enough local trade to keep them going so don’t expect slavish thanks when you next pop in for a loaf of bread.

JonWA

Visit site

Right there with you, the whining is nauseating. Try listening to an ICU nurse.

"An uphill struggle" – the past year from the perspective of an ICU nurse

It’s easy to get fed up with restrictions, I personally can’t wait to get back afloat, but I will, in the scheme of things its not much to ask.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site

You are entitled to your opinion, and others to theirs (including with many family members on the NHS front line).

Perhaps the Scottish Government should have been more focussed on Covid than on battles with Salmond and IndyRef - hardly looking good that Boris / Hancock seem to be doing better on all current measures.

But if you can explain why travel to exercise outdoors is perfectly safe covering 150 miles each way (Wick to Fort William) but suddenly not 15 miles, just because there is a local authority line on the map, please do so? And why some families can meet outdoors up but others not been able to do so since November due to a bizarre post code lottery.