Salcombe Harbour - ownership

billy2s

Visit site
Browsing through the threads I have come across two recent threads re Salcombe Harbour relating to charges, ownership etc...

Salcombe Harbour is part of the Duchy of Cornwall and leased to Salcombe Harbour Authority...

Duchy of Cornwall??? Main money grabbing department for supply of silk knickers to the late Princess of Wales... and source of income for the heir to the throne...

The BBC have a programme coming up in week 7-13 Jan, and part of the preamble for the programme is:

[ QUOTE ]
Dan (Snow, presenter) dicovers that Prince Charles earns £36k per day from his Duchy of Cornwall land holdings and property portfolio - mooring revenue from the ownership of the seabed of Salcombe Harbour is particularly lucrative....

[/ QUOTE ]

Full article - see Page 3

So if you visit Salcombe, you are funding the annual trip to Klosters, the loss making farming enterprises etc etc.... in common with anyone going to a Test Match at the Oval... another part of the same capitalist leviathan.

Blueboatman

Visit site
or you are at the very same time supporting organic farming,stability in the region,upholding a status quo ,denying any regional initiative to cover Salcombe with marinas,etc etc.

ashanta

Visit site
If he wasn't somebody else would. I'ts business. At least he care about his responsibilties and the environment.

Visit site
I, also, care about my responsibilities and the environment. It's about being able to hold 'em to account for waste, 'feathering of nests', and oppression of the ( odd ) individual - and we can't!

"When Adam delved and Eve span, who then was the gentleman...?" /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

maxi

Visit site
Re: Salcombe Harbour v Crown Estates

So Salcombe has the Duchy, everywhere else has the Commissioners for The Crown Estates - now there's a really predatory selective tax extortionist.
Question is, how do we get out of their clutches?

m1taylor

Visit site
To defend Salcombe Harbour. The Authority are very fair to local council tax payers in the South Hams. Yes, there's a waiting list, and considering that they could exploit people. But certainly for residents they don't - its still under £200 for a drying mooring. So let's be fair - they do a good job, and if some of the money goes to the Duchy - so what!

summerwind

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...... if some of the money goes to the Duchy - so what!

[/ QUOTE ]

The What is that, as far as I'm aware, Wingnut does absolutely nothing in return!!!

It would be very interesting to know what proportion of the money extracted from boat owners goes towards the Duchy. Does anyone know?

reginaldon

Visit site
No doubt Diana sampled some of his care for his responsibilities - the super rich getting richer and doing ---- all for it

duncan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So if you visit Salcombe, you are funding the annual trip to Klosters, the loss making farming enterprises etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have access to accounts that I don't - could you point them out please?

like the national trust (but openly rofit making rather than capital accrueing for their next aquisition) the Duchy will have ellements contributing more, and some less and possibly actually being contributed too, from time to time.

My personal assesment is that the Duchy is in it for the longer term than you might reasonably exect from a pure commercial operator, as well as actively considering the wider issues.

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Sorry guys, but it really doesn't matter whether you are buying something from MDL, The Duchy of Cornwall, or Joe the Plumber. You are going to pay pretty much whatever the market will support. Something to do with free market economics, I'm afraid. So until the revolution there's not a lot can be done, other than sell the boats, or stay away. Trouble is I suspect that come the revolution us bourgeois boat owners my find ourselves taking a turn at the wall.

Evadne

Visit site
How do we get out of their cluthces?

People have been asking that since the days of Wat Tyler. Call me a cynic but the aristocracy, or whatever you call them these days, are an inevitable burden on the (British) working man, and always will be.

To paraphrase a cartoon I saw recently: If it hadn't been for Nelson we'd all be speaking French, drinking cheap wine, working a 38 hour week with a 3-hour lunchbreak and we'd have beheaded the nobility centuries ago. Damn Nelson!!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

duncan

Visit site
well aware of that - and would quote from that link to highlight the points being made above

[ QUOTE ]
The Prince said: “Across all of our estates, and in all of our business operations, I will continue to try to ensure that the Duchy makes a real and lasting contribution to the communities in which we live and work.

[/ QUOTE ]

find me either a reference in their accounts which contradicts this or an equivelent statement in the R&A from a plc (MDL for example but not picking on them) that even suggests to shareholders (owners) they might be taking such a line.

whisper

Visit site
Yes, as a resident I tend to agree with you.
The Harbour Authority have tried to make improvements and some have been of considerable benefit and others will be put in place next year. The unfortunate thing is the lack of showers at Whitestrand - again these were planned but fell through because of a problem with land ownership/access, or so I believe.

Tisme

Visit site
I think we can be pretty confident that he will have the relevant deeds for all his bits of property and that they will be tucked away somewhere safe.

I'm not sure why people have a problem with the Duchy. It owns the land and rents it out. If people don't want to pay the rent they can go elsewhere. If they pay the rent they get to use the land and/or property. What else do you expect to get for your rent?

billy2s

Visit site
Interesting to see posts in a similar vein from others with direct experience of the Duchy... and similar experiences!

The Duchy staff is mainly the nessletripes of the aristocracy (ie younger brothers of the Earls, barons and dukes) who seem to have large chips on their shoulders either having watched their elder siblings take over the title and country seat, or knowing that will happen in due course.
It makes practical working relationship and business negotiation almost impossible: They seem dedicated to this secret service like machine aimed at maintaining the public persona of HRH and they will go to considerable lengths, and stoop to considerable depths to ensure that nothing damages one's perception as a prophet of England's green and pleasant land.