Sailing with long term illness

OSSD

Visit site
Fellow seafarers, I would appreciate your thoughts on the following….

I, along with millions of others around the world, suffer with a hidden, lifelong and debilitating illness which ultimately ended my maritime career and my dream of retiring to sail the world. The medications used for this illness have side effects that one could argue are only marginally better than just sticking with the illness itself (notwithstanding they are probably keeping you alive!).

However….

During a night of insomnia (side effects!) I thought to myself why not get a boat and use it to sail around the world to:

A) Raise awareness of the condition,

B) Raise funds for organisations that support research and organisations that provide direct support for patients*,

C) Inspire those living with chronic illnesses that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

There is, I believe, a synergy between long distance sailing and living with chronic illness: unpredictability, endurance, perseverance, and isolation to name a few.

* To be clear I am not talking about setting up a charity. I have no interest in dealing with the money side of things when there are organisations that can deal with that headache themselves!

Of course, in this day and age, the project would be documented on social media.

Thanks if you managed to get this far! So my questions are:
  1. Has this sort of thing been ‘beaten to death’ already? Short of sailing to mars is a boring circumnavigation (realistically this would start as a round the UK job) likely to garner any attention as all?
  2. Has anyone here thought about, done, or been involved in this sort of thing before?
  3. Has anyone who has Starlink used it to stream video while offshore? Does it have low latency and able to maintain a quality audio / video stream?
  4. Would anyone, with a boat, be interested in going for a day sail (ideally in the south west of UK, willing to be on video and possibly one day on the internet) with an old salty sea dog (qualified to expired OOW) that hasn't been on a proper boat (one with the white flappy things) since switching to a life on stinkpots many moons ago? This would to be to establish the reality of the proposition.
Many thanks for your time reading and I look forward to you offering any suggestions or opinions you have on the topic.

Daydream believer

Visit site
To be honest there are loads of videos of those doing all sorts of challenges. (The most successful, probably involve big breasts with nipples that point up rather than down). After a while they get boring. Take the Sailing Brothers. Started out really good, but just the same thing week after week, with bits of drama thrown in to try & raise awareness.
With all due respect, I would suggest that no one really wants to watch a sicko sailing, when can watch enlightening ones, like Ryan & Sophie. It would be like watching an episode of Eastenders. You also need to be really good at videos. The point & shoot amateur home stuff no longer cuts the mustard. Can you spend 2 days a week editing your videos?
But by all means go sailing & enjoy it. Wish you luck, whatever you do.

KevinV

Visit site
First off, I think that before thinking anything big it makes sense to see if you can actually still sail - it's entirely possible that your sealegs (and stomach) are awol with the meds. Any member at any sailing club would be delighted to have you as crew for a try-out, I'm sure.

Secondly, I can't see you raising much awareness/money if you can't bring yourself to name the condition.

Wansworth

Visit site
There’s a Dutchman called Martin who lives in the Italian Alps doing up a stone house and generally getting on with life.I have to admit his YouTube videos are so much better than these endless sailing vids,his videos create a feeling of peace and tranquility that might be more useful to someone with a chronic illness….

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I sympathize, in that many of us here are having to deal with the terminal illness called getting old! And our bodies don't do the things they used to take in their stride.

But to be successful in the video/fundraising world, you need an attractive Unique Selling Point. As pointed out above, younger people can make use of a selling point that is hardly unique but which appeals to many!

So, before looking at sponsorship, fundraising or whatever, you need to consider "What can I offer that is different and interesting/attractive?"

Others have pointed it out, but it's also well worth repeating that the skills to provide a marketable product are NOT simple and ARE time-consuming. Also, you need to provide content on a predictable basis, come hell or high water! That means snatching every opportunity for filming, and being prepared to spend time working on the final product - and that will be days per week, not hours. You also need editing software and hardware that are not trivial purchases, though no longer out of reach as they once were. You will need a reliable data connection from anywhere - and that is definitely not cheap; StarLink and Iridium are probably the only real choices, and uploading video via either during ocean passages is going to be costly. V-Sat requires too big an installation, and the transmission power is not acceptable on a yacht.

I will say that I wouldn't take it on and I have professional experience of producing graphic products (maps and charts) to publication standards; I could probably master the software and quality aspects, but getting a good storyline and assembling video footage to tell the story is a different skill.

OSSD

Visit site
To be honest there are loads of videos of those doing all sorts of challenges. (The most successful, probably involve big breasts with nipples that point up rather than down). After a while they get boring. Take the Sailing Brothers. Started out really good, but just the same thing week after week, with bits of drama thrown in to try & raise awareness.
With all due respect, I would suggest that no one really wants to watch a sicko sailing, when can watch enlightening ones, like Ryan & Sophie. It would be like watching an episode of Eastenders. You also need to be really good at videos. The point & shoot amateur home stuff no longer cuts the mustard. Can you spend 2 days a week editing your videos?
But by all means go sailing & enjoy it. Wish you luck, whatever you do.
Indeed DB there are. The problem is, since the dawn of the attention economy, there is not much you can do anymore that is new or unique. And as I certainly lack the attributes that would be required to look good skimpily clad I am already at a disadvantage.

There are a lot of sailing channels but my target audience would not be those wishing to live vicariously through others on youtube. And whilst it would be nice to reach the masses (if i could make it as popular as Eastenders I would be happy!) it would be more about reaching the right people: those that are affected, friends and relatives of those affected, local media and potentially policy makers.

It would have to be more than just sailing. Being on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic is, at times, the most amazing place in the world. But it can sure be boring!

Video production is not a problem. I have got that covered. Social media not so good as I don’t have much time for it!

Thanks for your thoughts and I will certainly add you to the end credits of the Netflix documentary ‘Sicko Sailing’!

OSSD

Visit site
First off, I think that before thinking anything big it makes sense to see if you can actually still sail - it's entirely possible that your sealegs (and stomach) are awol with the meds. Any member at any sailing club would be delighted to have you as crew for a try-out, I'm sure.

Secondly, I can't see you raising much awareness/money if you can't bring yourself to name the condition.
Both good points KevinV.

I defiantly need to reconnect with sailing before spending £££,£££ on a floating money vacuum that is costing £,£££ to park a year.

And yes I am not even really sure I want to vocalise this to the world just yet. This only came to me 2 days ago.

OSSD

Visit site
There’s a Dutchman called Martin who lives in the Italian Alps doing up a stone house and generally getting on with life.I have to admit his YouTube videos are so much better than these endless sailing vids,his videos create a feeling of peace and tranquility that might be more useful to someone with a chronic illness….
Indeed there are certainly other things I could do. Driving around the world would probably bring more attention. There are more car drivers than sailors! But I like boats and dreamed of sailing the world since being a youngster (under my own steam rather than commercially). Thanks I will check out the Dutchman!

Wansworth

Visit site
Both good points KevinV.

I defiantly need to reconnect with sailing before spending £££,£££ on a floating money vacuum that is costing £,£££ to park a year.

And yes I am not even really sure I want to vocalise this to the world just yet. This only came to me 2 days ago.
Come back after mulling it over personally not convinced sailing about is the way to go

OSSD

Visit site
I sympathize, in that many of us here are having to deal with the terminal illness called getting old! And our bodies don't do the things they used to take in their stride.

But to be successful in the video/fundraising world, you need an attractive Unique Selling Point. As pointed out above, younger people can make use of a selling point that is hardly unique but which appeals to many!

So, before looking at sponsorship, fundraising or whatever, you need to consider "What can I offer that is different and interesting/attractive?"

Others have pointed it out, but it's also well worth repeating that the skills to provide a marketable product are NOT simple and ARE time-consuming. Also, you need to provide content on a predictable basis, come hell or high water! That means snatching every opportunity for filming, and being prepared to spend time working on the final product - and that will be days per week, not hours. You also need editing software and hardware that are not trivial purchases, though no longer out of reach as they once were. You will need a reliable data connection from anywhere - and that is definitely not cheap; StarLink and Iridium are probably the only real choices, and uploading video via either during ocean passages is going to be costly. V-Sat requires too big an installation, and the transmission power is not acceptable on a yacht.

I will say that I wouldn't take it on and I have professional experience of producing graphic products (maps and charts) to publication standards; I could probably master the software and quality aspects, but getting a good storyline and assembling video footage to tell the story is a different skill.
Agreed the USP is definitely key to such a project. I will have to think about that. But I am also not expecting the world to stop whenever I release a new video. I have to set my expectations not to be changing the world here!

The video production is not a problem I have been involved in that sort of thing for a while. I have all the software and hardware for that. Agreed, VSAT is out without a 30 metre and 10’s of thousands a month for a good uplink! I am not sure Iridium could handle it either. I have never used StarLink, which claims to have low latency. I would be interested to know if you could live stream mid-pacific!

As you say production time is always going to be a problem. Whilst I can sometimes knock up the motion graphics and edit a video in a hour. Sometimes it takes a week to produce 7 minutes of video.

Thanks for your thoughts

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Agreed the USP is definitely key to such a project. I will have to think about that. But I am also not expecting the world to stop whenever I release a new video. I have to set my expectations not to be changing the world here!

The video production is not a problem I have been involved in that sort of thing for a while. I have all the software and hardware for that. Agreed, VSAT is out without a 30 metre and 10’s of thousands a month for a good uplink! I am not sure Iridium could handle it either. I have never used StarLink, which claims to have low latency. I would be interested to know if you could live stream mid-pacific!

As you say production time is always going to be a problem. Whilst I can sometimes knock up the motion graphics and edit a video in a hour. Sometimes it takes a week to produce 7 minutes of video.

Thanks for your thoughts
I think live-streaming is a) probably technically problematic and b) undesirable anyway, because you really need to be sending a polished, finished product out. Even in a well-rehearsed and predictable setting such as a church service, getting everything to work right is difficult - it took our church many iterations to get it working! Uploading a finished video file is less troubled by issues such as an intermittent connection.

I should say that one thing I find difficult with video productions is unclear narration. Regional accents aren't a problem as long as the pronunciation is clear. Precise diction and good sound, ideally with some sort of background noise reduction, are prerequisites.

Wansworth

Visit site
I think live-streaming is a) probably technically problematic and b) undesirable anyway, because you really need to be sending a polished, finished product out. Even in a well-rehearsed and predictable setting such as a church service, getting everything to work right is difficult - it took our church many iterations to get it working! Uploading a finished video file is less troubled by issues such as an intermittent connection.

I should say that one thing I find difficult with video productions is unclear narration. Regional accents aren't a problem as long as the pronunciation is clear. Precise diction and good sound, ideally with some sort of background noise reduction, are prerequisites.
My Dutchman up in the mountains hardly says a word

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
For what it's worth, I find live-streamed content frustrating to watch - often it's just plain boring. Unlike watching the ocean & sky (yes, I am one of those sailors who finds [found] the empty ocean constantly fascinating). I could never understand those who say that they're bored on passage. But, we're all different and each to their own.

To the OP.
Good luck with your venture. More importantly, good luck to you.

bikedaft

Visit site
Plenty useful advice above.

Another way to look it is to feck it and go sailing anyway. The alternative is sitting on the couch, waiting for the inevitable. But we don't know what you are dealing with.

Just do it (if you can) :)

William_H

Visit site
You must do what you must do for your own sanity. Forget about setting up and relying on fame and fortune from around the world voyage. It has been done so many times already. Plus the stress to you of making deadlines and commitments will be a night mare. Read "the strange voyage of Donald Crowhurst" to get my drift. I reckon you just might find happiness in inshore sailing with a small keel boat. No stress no promises. ol'will

38mess

Visit site
Go for it would be my advice for what it's worth.
If you can earn a crust doing it good luck to you. I watch loads of sailing videos on YouTube, but they are getting a bit desperate for view's I think, it's all drama (made up?) or bikinis which do tend to get a bit tiresome ( never thought I would say that)
I like the single handed guys like Sam Holmes and Rovers Adventures on YouTube, also some genuine boat building channels, there is a market for what you intend to do I believe.
Good luck whatever you decide

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
You must do what you must do for your own sanity. Forget about setting up and relying on fame and fortune from around the world voyage. It has been done so many times already. Plus the stress to you of making deadlines and commitments will be a night mare. Read "the strange voyage of Donald Crowhurst" to get my drift. I reckon you just might find happiness in inshore sailing with a small keel boat. No stress no promises. ol'will
I agree, and Donald Crowhurst is a good example of what can go wrong if you're loaded up with expectations and unattainable goals.

The books make sad reading as the deterioration in his mental state is tracked. And I recommend reading them - film can't give you the same window into his mental state that books that quote his journals can. They're very strange - lucid exposition of ideas that are off-scale weird!

wonkywinch

Visit site
I watch loads of sailing videos on YouTube, but they are getting a bit desperate for view's I think, it's all drama (made up?) or bikinis which do tend to get a bit tiresome ( never thought I would say that)
As I mentioned in another thread, the popular channels all see to be drama/bikini and you forgot to mention "cry face". Rotate splash screen accordingly and use yellow CAPITAL TEXT for headlines :LOL:

OSSD

Visit site
Go for it would be my advice for what it's worth.
If you can earn a crust doing it good luck to you. I watch loads of sailing videos on YouTube, but they are getting a bit desperate for view's I think, it's all drama (made up?) or bikinis which do tend to get a bit tiresome ( never thought I would say that)
I like the single handed guys like Sam Holmes and Rovers Adventures on YouTube, also some genuine boat building channels, there is a market for what you intend to do I believe.
Good luck whatever you decide
Many thanks for your positive buoyancy 38mess! I tend to agree. Just go for it! I am not expecting to become famous or rich out of it. The journey is the exciting thing, anything else is a bonus.

Sadly, I think, social media is awash with made up material. Nothing new tho I suppose. I expect they made stuff up in the 80’s as well!

Wansworth

Visit site
Many thanks for your positive buoyancy 38mess! I tend to agree. Just go for it! I am not expecting to become famous or rich out of it. The journey is the exciting thing, anything else is a bonus.

Sadly, I think, social media is awash with made up material. Nothing new tho I suppose. I expect they made stuff up in the 80’s as well!
Hiscock wrote books…..I guess he would have been ayoutuber 🤔🙂