Long term mooring ropes

johnalison

Visit site
To be pendantic for mo. Cow hitches? I much prefer Larks Head..some what prettier, he said.
That’s new to me I confess. However, the hitch itself is so unaesthetic that I think I’ll stick to cows unless I’m trying to impress with my new term.

Refueler

Visit site
taking a line through a ring / cleat and then back to boat is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided .. the rope will chafe and you end up with zero mooring line at that point. Either make the line fast fully to the ring - or use shackles ...

rotrax

Visit site
taking a line through a ring / cleat and then back to boat is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided .. the rope will chafe and you end up with zero mooring line at that point. Either make the line fast fully to the ring - or use shackles ...
From direct experience over five winter seasons afloat in a fast flowing tidal river estuary - Littlehampton - at Dukes Wharf, that is not so. My 18mm Octoplait winter warps have 25mm plastic pipe where they go through the cleats. The HM would not like his nice cleats worn by shackles, so plastic pipe does the job. They will be fitted soon and new plastic pipe used where required. Simples.

Refueler

Visit site
From direct experience over five winter seasons afloat in a fast flowing tidal river estuary - Littlehampton - at Dukes Wharf, that is not so. My 18mm Octoplait winter warps have 25mm plastic pipe where they go through the cleats. The HM would not like his nice cleats worn by shackles, so plastic pipe does the job. They will be fitted soon and new plastic pipe used where required. Simples.

Of course if you use any form of chafe relief - such as plastic pipe - then its fine ...

Try to read posts correctly ... my post was regarding plain rope passed through and back ... without chafe relief.