sailing to france question

Stork_III

Visit site
I have already explained why I misunderstood the comment/statement/question. Not a "pompous dig" - just difficult to understand (or easy to misunderstand) a string of unconnected, unpunctuated badly spelt words (one of which as spelt has an entirely different meaning than intended, which only adds to the confusion). For my inability to decipher the meaning I apologise.

ps "grammer" is "grammar"
Stop digging.

macd

Visit site
I have already explained why I misunderstood the comment/statement/question. Not a "pompous dig" - just difficult to understand (or easy to misunderstand) a string of unconnected, unpunctuated badly spelt words (one of which as spelt has an entirely different meaning than intended, which only adds to the confusion). For my inability to decipher the meaning I apologise.

Just which part of this is unconnected or unpunctuated (apart from the absence of a full stop (such a grave error)?:

"that would depend on Ones view as to weather One is required to have an icc
for Offshore sailing in Northern Europe"

Yes, "weather" should be whether", and the capitalization's a bit wonky, but so what? The meaning is abundantly clear. There's no ambiguity that I can see in the observation, although there's a deliberately implied nod to ambiguity in the interpretation of the regulations under debate.

You made a simple, harmless error. Why not just own up?

prv

Visit site
Just which part of this is unconnected or unpunctuated (apart from the absence of a full stop (such a grave error)?:

"that would depend on Ones view as to weather One is required to have an icc for Offshore sailing in Northern Europe"

I assume he misread it as:

"That would depend on one's view as to weather.
One is required to have an ICC for offshore sailing in Northern Europe."

...and took exception to the second line.

Personally I read the intended meaning first time round, but it's not hard to see how it could be misunderstood.

Pete

Tranona

Visit site
I assume he misread it as:

"That would depend on one's view as to weather.
One is required to have an ICC for offshore sailing in Northern Europe."

...and took exception to the second line.

Personally I read the intended meaning first time round, but it's not hard to see how it could be misunderstood.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. That is exactly how I (mis)read it.

If one does not write using the conventions of our language then one stands the chance of being misunderstood as happened in this case.

Nothing to "own up" to. I have apologised for my failure to interpret the string of words in the way they were intended.

So, to avoid misunderstandings in the future it would be helpful if people expressed themselves clearly and unambiguously.

TSB240

Visit site
Mine is 24 foot

Going to Brittany with ours on a trailer this Summer. SWMBO enjoys sailing but not the last few channel crossings on bigger boats.

Will have:

SSR cert.

Radio and operator certs.

Car, boat and breakdown, holiday and health Insurance and Passports.

SSR number clearly marked on superstructure

Red ensign and courtesy flags for France and Brittany.

No ICC required or obtained by self.

ICC and Cevni endorsement not required for some inland locked waters in France. Eg Vannes or above Arzal barrage and below Redon.

Hope this cuts through the other dreary predictable repeated dross taking up space on your reader to reader thread :D

Some of these posts should surely be on Scuttle Seau?

al.carpenter

Visit site
hello

It would be interesting to know where from and to and boat type, then loads more of the safety conscious contributors could have scope to advise :D

Regarding ICC - it is NOT required, it is another bit of 'officialdom' that you can flash around if you feel the need.

Docs that ARE required are:
  • Passport
  • SSR (think of it as a boat passport)
  • If you have a VHF
  • Ships Radio Licence
  • Radio Operators Certificate (endorsed with DSC use if VHF has DSC)

It is moderately interesting to note that you don't actually NEED boat insurance, but if you go into a marina they will probably insist that your boat is insured and, lets face it, you would be silly not to have boat insurance.

Which leaves the nice (but not essential) to haves:
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) (used to be E111)
  • Private medical insurance
  • 1001 receipts for proof of tax free diesel usage
  • Bill of sale for boat showing that VAT has been paid
  • House insurance details (in case your house burns down / floods in your absence)
  • Certificate of indemnity from all crew members, absolving you from liability if they injure themselves or fall overboard.
  • Oh! and of course ICC ;)

There must be something I have forgotten . . . .

. . . . Yes, Written Permission from SWMBO to say that you can go in the first place!

here we go again... no need for SSR ( take it if you are registered, but do not let the fact of not having one keep you from visiting France...you will not be fined)
no need for a registered vhf license or operator's license (do like 85% of french yachties, say it is a safety device, even if it is more than 5W or handheld- for which you do not have to be licensed. (the end of licensing for fixed or more than 5W sets or operator's license need is officially coming into force in a few months but all agencies are being advised officialy not to ask for them in the mean time. Information from the horse's mouth at last Paris boat show)

good fight..... and night. Al

Last edited:

al.carpenter

Visit site
Should there be a warning on what NOT to take? E.g. my boat has lots of out of date flares, would I be risking a fine if I didn't remove them before crossing the channel?

french customs or gendarmerie or affaires maritimes are NOT ALLOWED to ask you for anything about your safety/security/survival on your craft. ONLY your passport or a proof of identity (for you and pax), a document, whichever one you happen to have at hand, (bill of sale, insurance, invoice for your harbour dues, electricity bill or else) so that they can establish that it is a british based craft under british flag. Only Customs have special rights to search the boat for illegaly imported goods or drugs or passengers and that's it. Point. Basta.
On British flagged yachts, only british law prevails...them being SSR registered or not. (The day british law says you have to be SSRegistered then it will be different...)
Good trip. Al

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
On British flagged yachts, only british law prevails...them being SSR registered or not. (The day british law says you have to be SSRegistered then it will be different...)

I'm not sure how you prove that you are a British flagged yacht sheltering under British law if you are not Part 3 (or Part 1) registered.

Interesting what you say about the end of licensing for fixed or more than 5W sets or operator's licenses, where did this nugget come from?
I wonder if / when the RYA will propagate it.

al.carpenter

Visit site
Talking from my own experiences. I have owned and sailed british flagged yachts (two of them) in french waters in the last thirty years, mainly while residing in the UK but for a few years residing in France while having an address in GB. I have been controled tens of times and, in the Med, Channel, North Sea, Atlantic, on canals, while living aboard (5 years altogether), by all agencies, customs, gendarmes or affaires maritimes, never ever had to provide a proof of being SSR registered, for the good reason that my sailing boats were NOT SS registered. All I could produce was in one case a bill of sale, handwritten and signed and for the other one the hire-purchase contract recorded by a local lawyer.
True my wife is british and had (still has???) a very nice and attractive figure (which I suspect in some cases was the reason for us to be checked...) but I very often sailed solo so that is not relevant.
Regarding VHF registration and operator's licence, I similarily never had a licence for the sets and even though I hold an International Radio Operator (QRI) since 1975 as an ex-chopper pilot, I never had to produce it (but it is easy to prove you can use a vhf by just picking a mike up...)
Regarding 5watts or handheld vhf radios, this has been the object of many threads on french forums and for the last three or four years there were talks on the pontoons of not needing the sets registered or the operators to be licensed. At the 2010 Paris show, we had a déclaration (broadcasted by Radios and reported in other medias) by a french official (minister) that a law is in waiting, saying that VHF or operators will not have to be licensed... which is anyway the rule for most french yachts. VHF is considered a vital security device here, licensed or not.
If you do not believe what I state here, please call the Cherbourg or any Gendarmerie maritime in France and you will hear for yourself...

Csail

N/A
Visit site
One yacht i was on we used to just print off documents in English using big words and that got us through......even though the boat had been round the world with no problems.
Still reckon ICC,Yachtmaster,VHF & proof of ownership is worth it.Got all them but only got asked in N.Spain....oh and passport & E111.

sighmoon

Visit site
What about a Q flag? Is it still needed?

I've not yet sailed to France, but crossing other borders ( I wasn't the skipper), we never flew one. We were either ignored entirely by officialdom, or customs came out to meet us when we entered their waters.