sailing to france question

macd

Visit site
100pc understand. Glad to hear your viewpoint.

Glad to hear that.
Lest my last post came across as in any way pompous, I ought in all honesty to add that I'm as prone as anyone else to go with the flow and take the easy option. After all, what's to lose?

The answer, of course, is that there's everything to lose. By and large the rights we have weren't gifted by some benevolent authority: they were hard won. And, equally by and large, we don't lose them in sweeping, obvious ways that get us out of our armchairs crying 'No!' It's a little nibble here, a slight tweak there.

It's derelict of us to take them for granted.

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks Sybarite for the effort but any chance someone doing a translation for those of us that are not fluent in French.

I have to report that I have not yet received any reply from the RYA and am quickly moving from the position that, Toad is a Troll, to saying that now, I want to know what the facts are and whether any UK yachts are fined (my experience is limited to witnessing a CI powerboat being fined).

I am disappointed that the RYA have not yet replied.

I will give it a few more days and follow it up.

Sailfree

Visit site
Ahhh, a "Doubting Thomas".

Yes I admit that I now would like to establish the facts especially if any UK boats are ever fined.

I attach a reply that I have just received from the RYA and my original questions. Unfortunately this reply does not take us any further forward at present. I await any follow up.

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your email and our apologies for the delay in responding.

The advice we publish on our web-site is based on a variety of sources (including the basic principles of international law and practical experience) and is intended to assist yachtsmen in avoiding situations where local officials might find an excuse to impose an on the spot fine. I’m afraid I don’t have the specific reference to the French legislation to hand and I will need to undertake some research in order to provide you with a comprehensive answer to the question.

I am not in a position to advise an exact timeframe for this, but we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards
RYA Cruising Officer

ORIGINAL QUESTION

Subject: Documents needed in France

Sir,

On YBW.com Forums under practical boat owner reader to reader there is a thread running that questions the RYA advice on whether the original boats registration document needs to be produced in France (if requested) and if British Boats are fined if they cannot be produced.

I am a RYA member so would be grateful if you could answer the following and either post it on the forum website or let me know and I will post it.

Q1. Under French regulations do British Flagged boats need to carry the original boat registration documents?

Q2. If the answer is yes under what regulation please and what is the range of fine?

Q3. Are you aware of any fines being levied on British boats by the French Authorities?

Unfortunately the original question was posed by an inexperienced sailor and the RYA recommendations seriously questioned by people that have spoken to the French Authorities. It makes it difficult to answer with the RYA advice extolling the virtues of membership when that advice is so seriously questioned.

Many thanks

Regards

Last edited:

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
Yes I admit that I now would like to establish the facts especially if any UK boats are ever fined.

Sorry. Post 164 was unnecessary.

Q1. Under French regulations do British Flagged boats need to carry the original boat registration documents?

Q2. If the answer is yes under what regulation please and what is the range of fine?

Q3. Are you aware of any fines being levied on British boats by the French Authorities?

Good questions.

Last edited:
Visit site

I once went to France in our club boat without the original registration documents and was fined 500 FF (about £50!) and asked to leave the country immediately. It was a slow day in October '85. Don't know if the rules are still the same. Embarassing really - I was on my Yachtmaster exam at the time. I did pass!

al.carpenter

Visit site
I once went to France in our club boat without the original registration documents and was fined 500 FF (about £50!) and asked to leave the country immediately. It was a slow day in October '85. Don't know if the rules are still the same. Embarassing really - I was on my Yachtmaster exam at the time. I did pass!

and the officers who fined you (the ones that have not retired yet) are still killing themselves laughing when they remember the number of pints they had thanks to your "generosity"......

hence, the "purpose" of this thread........ or should I say the "porpoise" of this thread?

Last edited: