sailing to france question

AntC

Visit site
Hello all
I am planning a little sailing trip to France, but am struggling to find information on the legality of going. I have heard that you require the ICC to cruse in French waters and that they will not allow 'small boats' to come over but i am trying to establish the truth in this and what big 'small boats' entails.
Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Tranona

Visit site
Hello all
I am planning a little sailing trip to France, but am struggling to find information on the legality of going. I have heard that you require the ICC to cruse in French waters and that they will not allow 'small boats' to come over but i am trying to establish the truth in this and what big 'small boats' entails.
Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

There is no mystery, nor shortage of information. Just go onto the RYA website "Taking your boat abroad" and all will be revealed.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
clarkson

clarkson and co sail over in a toyota pickup so the french allow pretty much anything so long as you don't want to go inland:)

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
As we meandered south along the froggy atlantic coast none of the ports were interested in any documentation at all, but when the very nice customs men boarded us they wanted, passports, ships registration, part 1 or SSR, insurance, ICC and although they asked if the dog had a pet passport they did not demand to see it. Now there are quite a few who will suggest that perhaps they may not have legal powers to demand all of this it does make life easier and generates much less hassle.

Good luck and enjoy.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
Hello all
I am planning a little sailing trip to France, but am struggling to find information on the legality of going.

You can call the Brigade Maritime Cherbourg and get the info straight from the horse's mouth: 02 33 92 55 29.

I suspect they'll have an English Speaker but even if they don't you've only lost the cost of a phone call. Or maybe you have a French Friend who might call for you? (Assuming you don't speak French yourself.)

Enjoy your trip.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
You really don't need much at all just the competence(very important) , the confidence to make the decision and a boat that is safe to make the trip to make trip . If you have VHF you need an free ofcom licence, an authority to operate. Its wise to have SSR reg for the boat .A couple of threads here , there are more if you do a search .

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257559&highlight=sailing+to+france

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232608&highlight=sailing+to+france

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239726&highlight=sailing+to+france

fergie_mac66

Visit site
It probably/ possibly worth finding a couple more boats to go across with at the same time, in a loose flotilla to give each other a bit of support. Whether in the western really busy short crossing part or the not quite so busy but longer distance to cross, eastern channel.

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
[QUOTE=maxi77
"When the very nice customs men boarded us they wanted, passports, ships registration (part 1 or SSR), insurance, ICC and although they asked if the dog had a pet passport they did not demand to see it Now there are quite a few who will suggest that perhaps they may not have legal powers to demand all of this it does make life easier and generates much less hassle." . . . IF YOU HAVE ALL THAT WITH YOU.

reginaldon

Visit site
Whether in the western really busy short crossing part or the not quite so busy but longer distance to cross, eastern channel.

SHUG

Visit site
Got boarded five times off the Brittany coast (over the years) . It is better to have your paerwork in order including ICC.
If you can't pass the ICC test you probably shouln't be out sailing!!!!!

sailorman

Visit site
Got boarded five times off the Brittany coast (over the years) . It is better to have your paerwork in order including ICC.
If you can't pass the ICC test you probably shouln't be out sailing!!!!!

that would depend on Ones view as to weather One is required to have an icc
for Offshore sailing in Northern Europe

Sailfree

Visit site

As a British Flagged Boat strickly speaking need to comply with only UK laws (which is zero apart from some harbour by-laws!) but my understanding the lack of compulsary UK registration made them bring in the SSR to assist boats going to France and getting hassled.

Best to have paperwork in order but the most important is to have the original Bill of Sale showing VAT paid and the original ships registration.

Now we own a charter boat and would never leave it with the originals on board and AFAIK it has never encountered any difficulties once the photocopies and the charter documents are shown. I believe there may some difficulties due to French people keeping VAT free boats notionally in the Channel Islands. I was present in Carteret when French Customs carted off one CI skipper to the hole in the wall machine to pay an on the spot fine for not having the original ships papers on board also witness a UK flagged boat's skipper in Treburden getting a fine but never discovered all the details.

Personally despite approx 50 X channel trips and approx 12 months (in total) sailing in French waters I have never been stopped in France and only been stopped by UK customs about 20ml south of the I of W. They wanted to see everything we could show but my understanding of UK law is that any person can sail any vessel from UK shores without any qualifications or insurance and the vessel could be a bath tub! The problem is that you are dealing with Jobsworths who can make life difficult so best to be nice.

Be aware that French boats and skippers are much more regulated than the UK and French officials seem to expect this compliance to regs even for British boats.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I fully understand & was answering SHUG ;)

Can't see that SHUG was asking a question - and definitely not one that justifies an incorrect statement as an answer.

That is why I asked you to explain what you mean, but if you don't know, doesn't matter.