sailing to france question

fergie_mac66

Visit site
I see it's Monday morning where you are, too :)

Whether in the western really busy short crossing part or the not quite so busy but longer distance to cross, eastern channel.

exit stage left ... I mean right :)

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
Can't see that SHUG was asking a question - and definitely not one that justifies an incorrect statement as an answer.

That is why I asked you to explain what you mean, but if you don't know, doesn't matter.
Sailorman was saying he does NOT believe an ICC is necessary. I understood him. No incorrect statement made.

Freshbreeze

Visit site
Ships Radio Licence

Getting your FREE ships radio licence is easy. You can do it here - Just click on the appropiate link for your licence, register with ofcom, and fill in the form.

Don't forget to list all the radio equipment you have - including Handheld Radio's (the form is self explanitary)

The PDF form from the RYA ICC can be found here

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Can't see that SHUG was asking a question - and definitely not one that justifies an incorrect statement as an answer.

That is why I asked you to explain what you mean, but if you don't know, doesn't matter.

If you can't pass the ICC test you probably shouln't be out sailing!!!!!

managed this past 40 yrs without one ;)

Freshbreeze

Visit site

QUOTE]

I feel compelled to add that you cannot get your ICC unless you have passed your ICC test, Day skipper pratical or higher. The list of requirements are on the PDF application form for the ICC.

Defence over!!!

bbg

Visit site
You also cannot get your ICC unless you apply for it, and pay a fee. Neither of which I am inclined to do, and I seem to have managed OK without it so far.
Don't tell anyone, but somehow last year I managed to cross the Channel twice, and the Irish Sea twice. All in one go, without stopping, without any formal qualifications, and having owned a boat only a year. Am I mad?

Tranona

Visit site

managed this past 40 yrs without one ;)

Still not a question! However, I now see why I misunderstood you - simple. Lousy spelling, grammar and punctuation hid your meaning (I think) I did wonder what "weather" had to do with anything - certainly did not help one make sense of the statement.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
Sailorman was saying he does NOT believe an ICC is necessary. I understood him. No incorrect statement made.

Blatantly. Furthermore the original sentence was actually cropped to change the meaning.

Quals? I've also been an unqualified sailor all my life.

If you're under 16 the RYA deem it fine to sail without Dayskipper or an ICC. If you're under 18 the RYA deem it fine to sail without a YM. (IIRC)

I know people get worse at things with age but I don't think I got that much worse on my 16th and 18th Birthdays that I suddenly needed to commit limited resources to training.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
planning a little sailing trip to France

It would be interesting to know where from and to and boat type, then loads more of the safety conscious contributors could have scope to advise :D

Regarding ICC - it is NOT required, it is another bit of 'officialdom' that you can flash around if you feel the need.

Docs that ARE required are:
  • Passport
  • SSR (think of it as a boat passport)
  • If you have a VHF
  • Ships Radio Licence
  • Radio Operators Certificate (endorsed with DSC use if VHF has DSC)

It is moderately interesting to note that you don't actually NEED boat insurance, but if you go into a marina they will probably insist that your boat is insured and, lets face it, you would be silly not to have boat insurance.

Which leaves the nice (but not essential) to haves:
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) (used to be E111)
  • Private medical insurance
  • 1001 receipts for proof of tax free diesel usage
  • Bill of sale for boat showing that VAT has been paid
  • House insurance details (in case your house burns down / floods in your absence)
  • Certificate of indemnity from all crew members, absolving you from liability if they injure themselves or fall overboard.
  • Oh! and of course ICC ;)

There must be something I have forgotten . . . .

. . . . Yes, Written Permission from SWMBO to say that you can go in the first place!

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site

The OP should double check for himself but I'm pretty sure the SSR is not legally required in France. Or if it is legally required nobody has found any evidence that it is, and people have looked very hard.

Radio Operators Certificate

Splitting hairs but I'm pretty sure if you don't transmit except in emergencies you don't need it. Again the OP should check for himself.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I don't think Sailorman was suggesting one had to have ICC, just the opposite in fact.

I think the point he was making is, if you can't pass ICC, you maybe shouldn't be in charge of a boat. Not if you haven't passed ICC.

Let's face it, ICC is hardly the most difficult test of competence ever devised, is it?

Strewth, it's getting like the lounge in here. It must be cabin fever.

Freshbreeze

Visit site
I don't think Sailorman was suggesting one had to have ICC, just the opposite in fact.

I think the point he was making is, if you can't pass ICC, you maybe shouldn't be in charge of a boat. Not if you haven't passed ICC.

Let's face it, ICC is hardly the most difficult test of competence ever devised, is it?

Strewth, it's getting like the lounge in here. It must be cabin fever.

I suggest a trip ashore...!

bbg

Visit site
The OP should double check for himself but I'm pretty sure the SSR is not legally required in France. Or if it is legally required nobody has found any evidence that it is, and people have looked very hard.
One could also say that evidence has been provided, and some people on this board have not thought that it is conclusive.
What is certain is that the douaniers themselves say that it is required, and no-one has proved that they are wrong. So anyone who risks going over there without one might be in for a nasty surprise, if the douaniers turn out to be correct.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
One could also say that evidence has been provided, and some people on this board have not thought that it is conclusive. What is certain is that the douaniers themselves say that it is required, and no-one has proved that they are wrong. So anyone who risks going over there without one might be in for a nasty surprise, if the douaniers turn out to be correct.

If this issue is important for the OP [1] I personally think he should do his own research rather than taking the word of people on forums.

the douaniers themselves say that it is required

Seems a little unfair on the OP to mention this whilst omitting the other communications from the douaniers that immediately followed. I won't link to it myself - just leave it to your conscience. All the more reason that, if this issue is important to the OP [1], he should do his own research and not rely on forum posts.

[1] Probably purely academic since the only situations I can think of where the OP would need to go without an original SSR certificate is if he is planning to go in a Charter Boat where the firm chooses not to provide the SSR or lives in a country where small boats cannot be registered. I suspect neither of these are the case. Unless of course he has a tender and wants to find if it needs to go on the SSR or not.

macd

Visit site

Quite so. I had no difficulty understanding him, nor did several others to judge by their responses. And (toad's later post is quite right), in my view Tranona owes him an apology, both for the pompous dig at his grammer and the truncated and innacurate representation of what he wrote.

Tranona

Visit site
Quite so. I had no difficulty understanding him, nor did several others to judge by their responses. And (toad's later post is quite right), in my view Tranona owes him an apology, both for the pompous dig at his grammer and the truncated and innacurate representation of what he wrote.
I have already explained why I misunderstood the comment/statement/question. Not a "pompous dig" - just difficult to understand (or easy to misunderstand) a string of unconnected, unpunctuated badly spelt words (one of which as spelt has an entirely different meaning than intended, which only adds to the confusion). For my inability to decipher the meaning I apologise.

ps "grammer" is "grammar"

sailorman

Visit site
I have already explained why I misunderstood the comment/statement/question. Not a "pompous dig" - just difficult to understand (or easy to misunderstand) a string of unconnected, unpunctuated badly spelt words (one of which as spelt has an entirely different meaning than intended, which only adds to the confusion). For my inability to decipher the meaning I apologise.

ps "grammer" is "grammar"

and from a Baravia owner ;) :D