Sailing fifty years ago

BelleSerene

Visit site
Imagine we went down to the boat and to our astonishment passed through a time port on the shore. We still went out sailing - but found that time had moved back to fifty years ago. Hey, make it a hundred years ago if you like.

We would have a good sail - but there would be many surprises to reflect on.

What do you think would strike us the most?

Prasutigus

Visit site
Greetings..
my boat is 60 yrs old and quite original, so no change there apart from lack of GPS, LED lights, DSC VHF, liferaft, and going back to a CQR from my present R*cna ?

Plenty of spaces to anchor, very few marinas, and, as mentioned, maybe poorer nav marks in some cases. Fewer yachts but plenty of manned lightships!

Relatively cheaper skilled wages, so more likely to employ some old boys for repairs and varnishing, or even crew.

'No change' in the BBC Shipping forecast... Lots of Red Ensigns on ships. Much more planning needed for diesel, waterand provisions. An interesting question with a mix of pros and cons!

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
You would have gone down to your boat screaming & yelling whilst you were being dragged along by a bunch of navy mate-lots headed by a young lieutenant sent to make up the ships numbers . You would be wishing that you had not got drunk in that dockside bar & wondering if you were ever going to see blighty again.

According to my wife it was a bit like sailing with me in the 21st century before she plucked up courage & jumped ship & told me she had enough & was going home on the next plane. I now sail S H

Last edited:

Debenair

Visit site
Smaller boats certainly, plus all those things others have mentioned.
Motoring out in a black Avon Redstart with a seagull on the bracket, to our one year old wooden Twister built by that lowly paid skilled labour, dressed In our new Henri-Lloyd nylon waterproofs, and short Dunlop magister boots.
Navigating by DR with compass, echo sounder and Harrier log.
But mostly, the fact that on most summer weekends the majority of the boats on moorings in our creek would be off those moorings and actually in use.!

Poignard

Visit site
My brand-new Twister being sailed away from Brixham by her proud owner :D

(Not me! I could not possibly have afforded such a boat on a Chief Petty Officer's pay)

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Very similar to today in boat terms as my boat is a 1970s model
Except-----Hank on sails,no radio,comms by aldis lamp and flags,no gps,petrol engine that often gave trouble,kit from Millets or other army surplus type stores,crap weather forecasting.The odd lightship but no windmills.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Fifty years ago I sailed a Hurley 22 from Falmouth to Newlyn and then on to Scilly the next day. Had a chart and a compass and, as I remember, a pencil. Also an RDF ... was it a Decca? Had a thing on the top that swivelled around ... whatever, I didn't know how to work it. Got to the Scillies OK and, as I'd lived there and worked on the boats a couple of years earlier I knew my way in. Had a great holiday and 2 weeks later sailed the thing back to Falmouth in one go. Makes me shudder thinking about it now!

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Far fewer marinas. Boats on trots.
Boats that sail first, provide accommodation second.
You're one year short of a Westerley Centaur being the new, new thing...
Big slicks of oil everywhere from seagull outboards.

bobgarrett

Visit site
I have a "Cruising Association Handbook" from 1961. It has a sticker on the inside front cover of the "French Buoyage Cardinal System" so I assume this was around when it came in.
For The Hamble River it refers to "berthing off piles off Hamble village" and moorings. It also says "There is a good inn, telephone at Warsash.