Sailing Dinghy Insurance Provider (Wayfarer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36384

Hello,

I am looking for insurance provider recommendations for my Wayfarer. The dinghy itself is not valued that much, I paid a grand for a brand new road trailer and launching trolley with a fully working but old Wayfarer.

This is the first time I have taken out insurance as the dinghy is stored at home and I have always sailed her from public slipways on the sea. She will be moving to a marina dinghy park and I will require insurance for her. Thinking about this some more, I probably should have had insurance in the past.

She will be sailed on the sea if that makes a difference with no rescue boat coverage and she will not be raced, just cruised.

All recommendations greatly received.

Thanks,

BlowingOldBoots

Cloven

Visit site
I was in the same situation last year. In the end the cheapest/best option was to insure it through the same broker I use for the yacht - Yachtmaster Insurance. Added advantage was that the yacht tender outboard which also fits the dinghy if required was covered for both at no extra cost.

D

Deleted member 36384

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Regards,

BlowingOldBoots

Visit site
Have just insured my daughters optimist dinghy. Tower gate quoted £22 annually or £16 for 6 months which seemed very good to me. 3Million 3rd party cover. In the end I added it to my yacht insurance policy (with Uachtmaster Insurance Services / Woodbridge.) Cost was £22 until renewal in 5 months. So pro rats more expensive but avoided the hassle and extra paperwork of takin out a new policy. May be worth considering if you have a cruiser as well. Otherwise tower gate was an easy on line quotation and by far the most competitive quote ongoing. Hope that helps.

MarcJ

Visit site
Thumbs up for Newton Crumb, cheaper than Tower Gate, but could be due to length of vessel, where stored, etc. Bilge keel 20ft on pile moorings at Pwllheli £75! Though Newton Crumb aren't our actual insurers, they passed us on to another company.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Tender/ dinghy insurance pitfalls.

Not sure these points apply to the OP's position, but people need to be aware of these:

If you add a sailing dinghy to your main yacht policy as a tender, you can use it like that, but you might also need to specify "independent use" if appropriate. Bear in mind that all the exclusions and excesses on the main policy will apply.

If you insure it separately, then you can have a lower excess if appropriate, and also benefit from "new for old" provisions and have your sails and rigging fully covered when set or racing (not necessarily the case with your main yacht policy). On the other hand, there are often quite stringent conditions over how the boat can be left unattended, eg has to be ashore and tied down for example.

Horses for courses. I should have changed from cover as a tender to a separate policy when my son started racing our Topper. In two days in a local regatta he first T-boned and holed a Solo (whilst on port tack) and the following day hit a moored launch... I'm just glad he didn't break a mast then as well!

D

Deleted member 36384

Not sure these points apply to the OP's position, but people need to be aware of these …… I should have changed from cover as a tender to a separate policy ……

Thanks James for your valuable experience and lessons. I will take this into consideration.

dancrane

Visit site
When the question came up last month, I was encouraged to end my three-figure p/a payment and go with GJW instead. Their quote was £75 for the Osprey, half what I paid last year, for no apparent reduction of cover. All sorted in minutes, on the internet. I haven't had to make a claim yet, but several here had, and reported very satisfactory treatment. :)

Last edited: