Sailing Clothing Recommendations

salad

Visit site
Hi all,

Another step closer to actually sailing today. I will be doing competant crew next month for openers, followed by the captain who will be on childcare duties. The training centres do actually offer to provide clothing, but I think I'd be better off having my own in the longer term.

Can anyone recommend clothing that would, with layers, see me through most conditions I'm likely to encounter on the south west coast of scotland. I know the obvious brands like Musto and HH, but if its anything like the state of things with ski wear and mountaineering stuff, then it's a case of formerly very high quality brands giving in and becoming more fashion oriented, looking at you The North Face and Fjallraven.

I'm not a fashionista by any means as I dont look good in anything these days, but I don't mind shelling out some coin for decent kit. I'd like something truly breathable, rather than some of the more low end gore-tex grades which barely qualify for the name imo.

I haven't set a budget as I don't know what I need.

Open to suggestions of stuff that will keep me both warm and dry in all but the worst conditions. I will not be going blue water sailing, so don't need the yachting equivalent of everest kit.

Any pointers appreciated.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Gillmarine, Musto, HH, probably still the leading bunch. We have Gill kit, it might be slightly cheaper. The last lot has done us for 10 years, it was OS2 range. Recent iterations of breathable waterproofs are in general pretty good. As good as Gore Tex, not sure. I have the real thing for skiing and winter walking, not for sailing, but it all works, and you tend to sweat less saling.

salad

Visit site
Gillmarine, Musto, HH, probably still the leading bunch. We have Gill kit, it might be slightly cheaper. The last lot has done us for 10 years, it was OS2 range. Recent iterations of breathable waterproofs are in general pretty good. As good as Gore Tex, not sure. I have the real thing for skiing and winter walking, not for sailing, but it all works, and you tend to sweat less saling.

Thanks, Gill looks like a good option.

The reason I mentioned Gore Tex is because these days, theres Gore Tex and then Gore Tex. One is the real deal, the other carries the brand name and thats about it. Been that way a while now. There are levels in between too. They sold out, like almost everyone else seems to have. The genuine top end article is superb (found on arcteryx for example), but the cheaper stuff, wouldn't give it closet room.

Appreciate what youre saying about sweating less than skiing. Makes sense.

salad

Visit site
Go with what the sailing school offers, and think how you would like to improve it. Also think about your sailing ground.

Certainly an option for first time out.

Sailing ground will be Scotland eventually, but probably going to do a year in the solent in all weather. As it's the UK, it's going to be brass monkeys, so going to go with layers.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
You obviously understand what’s required. That’s a great start. I’d visit one of the big chain chandlers with a good range, like Force 4, or maybe it's a reason to visit a boat show, you can touch, feel and try.

salad

Visit site
visit a boat show,

I absolutely do not trust myself. I'd come home with a mortgage for a fractional share on a 65 in the Maldives or something equally silly.

I do have an idea of whats required with skiing, which is of course exposed to weather, much as sailing is. Conditions vary greatly up a mountain, as you'll know if you've been. It was skiing that taught me the value of high quality childrens outdoor clothing. 3 ski seasons and my youngest, aged 3-6 at the time, didn't complain once about being cold. It was often -18c at 2800m and a balmy -15c with 14mph windchill in main resort. Worth every penny for the gear for him and resold it for 20% less than we paid. Nothing worse than being cold and wet and trying to concentrate on something, let alone navigate your way around the piste (or sea!)

KompetentKrew

Visit site
HH do kids gear. Maybe it’s not widely stocked, but they do sell direct.
I think Decathlon do too?

I had a Decathlon 100 sailing jacket as my first one - after I bought better gear it became my going-to-the-shops in the rain jacket, my piloting-the-tender-in-the-rain jacket and I wear it in the cockpit when the conditions are only lightly foul.

johnalison

Visit site
It is hard to recommend a single make because so much depends on fit and details. I haven’t looked into recent clothing but I would aim for offshore rather than ocean quality outers and be fairly generous with stocking up on the under-layers. I also know people who swear by £50 fishermen’s dry suits but it isn’t an avenue I have explored.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I absolutely do not trust myself. I'd come home with a mortgage for a fractional share on a 65 in the Maldives or something equally silly.

I do have an idea of whats required with skiing, which is of course exposed to weather, much as sailing is. Conditions vary greatly up a mountain, as you'll know if you've been. It was skiing that taught me the value of high quality childrens outdoor clothing. 3 ski seasons and my youngest, aged 3-6 at the time, didn't complain once about being cold. It was often -18c at 2800m and a balmy -15c with 14mph windchill in main resort. Worth every penny for the gear for him and resold it for 20% less than we paid. Nothing worse than being cold and wet and trying to concentrate on something, let alone navigate your way around the piste (or sea!)
Enjoying outdoor things with your kids, the only way is to see that they are comfortable. We took ours from a young age, both sailing and mountain sports. My eldest is 30 now, still walking, skiing and sailing.
your spending habits will have plenty of scope with sailing, but I do think, especially as an experienced outdoor gear user, you’ll want to find somewhere to see and try on. A well stocked chandler would be fine.at least you can’t buy a yacht there!

salad

Visit site
I have some mountain gear that will cross over, like technical mids and so on and we all have good woolies. I think probably we're looking for outers for all of us, but to be honest, my lads ski outers would probably work for him on board, although I'll look at decathlon because in my experience, their stuff is brilliant in certain situations. Still have a 20 odd year old backpack from decathlon, not a thing wrong with it.

Blue_mischief

Visit site
I’ve given up on wet weather stuff designed by the leisure wear firms - invariably overpriced, lose waterproofness rapidly and generally poor quality - IMO, of course. Have a look at any industrial clothing suppliers - I go to HIS or MCGregors in Inverness. Hardwearing, waterproof, comfortable to wear and cheap as chips compared to leisure sector offerings. No good if you are into fashion and not available in childrens sizes though. As mentioned, dry suits also available, though I’ve not tried them yet. As also mentioned, sweating and therefore condensation is not such a problem in sailing as it is with other outdoor activities, so so-called breathable materials not, I think, so important.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I have to disagree. Breathability vastly increases wearer comfort. Us humans sweat all the time. You don’t pump out pints when sailing, except occasionally when racing. But you certainly sweat, and it will condense in your mid layers and reduce the insulation. Whatever works for you, fill your boots, of course. Personally I wouldn’t countenance industrial waterproofs for sailing.

Last edited:

RJJ

Visit site
The top musto etc is a serious amount of beer tokens. I personally would avoid, there have to be better ways to spend the equivalent of a (fairly luxurious) weekend away. Just think how much they spend on marketing, and decide if you need to contribute to that.

The lower end stuff, BR2 or whatever is fine for most summer/autumn in Solent and English Channel. The need for a fancy collar and wraparound hood is really only for 24hrs+ in really gnarly weather, the rest of the time it's just in the way and making it hard to store.

I would check out Decathlon and XM.

My own kit is Musto BR2 trousers from a sale, and XM offshore jacket which for my experience is as warm, functional and robust as anything else I ever tried. So far 4 seasons, 4000 miles and no complaints.

Underlayers are really important.

For our kids aged 8 and 10, who have done eight Channel crossings in up to 35 knots, Biscay, and crossed the Atlantic...I generously bought them non-breathable chest-high trousers and breathable walking jackets with decent hoods on Amazon. About £35 the set. Smaller kids don't do enough work to sweat much on board, but the breathable jacket is good for walking ashore. If it's really grotty they cower under the spray hood or go below. Again, thermal undies and NO COTTON are critical.