Sailing Clothing Recommendations

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Just so everyone knows, I have tested quality fleece and merino wool side-by-side in the lab and field, and there is no difference in warmth per unit thickness. Fleece wins on weight and drying time, and wool wins on stink. I use both and prefer the feel of fleece. So fleece for days sailing, wool for overnight, and fleece again for expeditions that will require drying my gear.

ltcom

Visit site
Just so everyone knows, I have tested quality fleece and merino wool side-by-side in the lab and field, and there is no difference in warmth per unit thickness. Fleece wins on weight and drying time, and wool wins on stink. I use both and prefer the feel of fleece. So fleece for days sailing, wool for overnight, and fleece again for expeditions that will require drying my gear.
I have worn icebreaker merino for 1 month non- stop (wet wipe washing only in between) and SURPRISINGLY felt clean and smell free for the whole delivery trip. I love the material. Prefer it to fleece. It feels like cotton.
Works.
Feels good.
Expensive if not 2nd hand.
Wash with Nikwax wool wash.
My experience.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Directed at me? Yes or no?
Of course it is. And the other modern material deniers. You might as well deny the moon landings. Merino works, we know that, but it’s not a religion. It’s expensive, and works no better than fleece. And as for second hand, I wear no mans cast off underwear, thank you.

KAM

Visit site
The Guy Coten stuff is a bit more sophisticated than it looks. There is a layer of insulation foam across the back and shoulders of the jacket to reduce any condensation. As others have said cheaper brands of merino underlayers with cheap fleece trousers work really well. During constant wet weather lasting days the ability to take off your outer layer give it a shake and stow it adds enormously to convenience. When I fist started sailing I tried all the well known expensive rubber boot brands and none seemed to last more than a couple of seasons before the uppers cracked. Since then I've had very good service from the cheapest Decathlon wellies. The ones made in Bosnia. I had my last pair many years and only had to replace them when I ripped the heel on a protruding split pin.

ltcom

Visit site
Of course it is. And the other modern material deniers. You might as well deny the moon landings. Merino works, we know that, but it’s not a religion. It’s expensive, and works no better than fleece. And as for second hand, I wear no mans cast off underwear, thank you.
Leaning towards rudeness and insults old boy. Thinwater is no luddite and he stated his opinions and results of wool.... stick around and you may find out. I have worked my way through too many goretex items to believe they are magic. But you may have more money than ........ well, i wont be insulting.
I cant afford £60 for an icebreaker top but i can afford £10 for a fleabay one (some like new) and wash it in nikwax wool wash. Having worn one non-stop for a month with no smell, i think they are great. The thinner (bodyfit) dry very quickly too and feel like wearing cotton.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I see the luddites have arrived.

No just someone who isn’t afraid to admit that after spending a small fortune on breathables and finding they are like the ‘Emperors New Clothes’, I have gone back to old fashioned pvc (Guy Cotten) dry, windproof and with a woolley jumper warm on the overnight watch.
But fine if you want to pay extra high prices on breathables that’s your choice, it just isn’t’t mine.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don’t spend a fortune, but breathables, yes. I actually wear Yak kayaking trousers, as the wet bit of my boat is the water that comes up through the tramps when handing the kite. Dry suit type seals on the ankles. Then a decent, not top drawer sailing jacket, also breathable. It keeps me dry and comfortable, I am happy with it. I have synthetic base layers and mid layers. They might get smelly if I lived in them for a month, but I don’t. And as we’ve got heating, we can get things dry every time we moor. I have done my time in non breathables, never again. However, if it works for you, fill your boots. Strangely, whilst you see fishermen in manky pvc, you do not see round the world racers in the stuff. The fishermen, bless them, are poor, and itks a very damaging environment for gear. They probably have new stuff every 6 months.

Salt'n'shaken

Visit site
I don’t spend a fortune, but breathables, yes. I actually wear Yak kayaking trousers, as the wet bit of my boat is the water that comes up through the tramps when handing the kite. Dry suit type seals on the ankles. Then a decent, not top drawer sailing jacket, also breathable. It keeps me dry and comfortable, I am happy with it. I have synthetic base layers and mid layers. They might get smelly if I lived in them for a month, but I don’t. And as we’ve got heating, we can get things dry every time we moor. I have done my time in non breathables, never again. However, if it works for you, fill your boots. Strangely, whilst you see fishermen in manky pvc, you do not see round the world racers in the stuff. The fishermen, bless them, are poor, and itks a very damaging environment for gear. They probably have new stuff every 6 months.
Gore-tex works great for the first few months. I've never been able to maintain that performance though by using NikWax etc. even with the high end stuff.

PVC would be no good for racing, too sweaty. For a lazy sod like me though, it's better when sat in a rainstorm than breathables.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Gore-tex works great for the first few months. I've never been able to maintain that performance though by using NikWax etc. even with the high end stuff.

PVC would be no good for racing, too sweaty. For a lazy sod like me though, it's better when sat in a rainstorm than breathables.
My boat is pretty physical, even just getting the main up. The other boat is a round the solent cans racer, I cannot really envisage a boat without effort, I’m afraid. Its exactly that, sat in a rainstorm, when breathables really do the biz. Done up to the neck, I’d just fry without them.

ltcom

Visit site
My boat is pretty physical, even just getting the main up. The other boat is a round the solent cans racer, I cannot really envisage a boat without effort, I’m afraid. Its exactly that, sat in a rainstorm, when breathables really do the biz. Done up to the neck, I’d just fry without them.
That is where temperature differential comes in.... for goretx (if rolled not folded and damged still works) it works. Temp differential is important.
But for the non luddites ....... there are better fabrics than goretex.......
Now apologize for calling me a luddite.......

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
I’ve given up on wet weather stuff designed by the leisure wear firms - invariably overpriced, lose waterproofness rapidly and generally poor quality - IMO, of course. Have a look at any industrial clothing suppliers - I go to HIS or MCGregors in Inverness. Hardwearing, waterproof, comfortable to wear and cheap as chips compared to leisure sector offerings. No good if you are into fashion and not available in childrens sizes though. As mentioned, dry suits also available, though I’ve not tried them yet. As also mentioned, sweating and therefore condensation is not such a problem in sailing as it is with other outdoor activities, so so-called breathable materials not, I think, so important.
Tried to view HIS (minimal available) and McGregors on site but unsuccessful.