Sailing Clothing Recommendations

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Now for a dose of wet weather gear blasphemy.
Breathable wet weather gear? Never again, I have gone back to old fashioned non breathable gear (Guy Cotten), had two sets of breathable gear, neither performed as well as non breathable,and I have never felt so cold on overnight passages.
Yes I know you are supposed to wear all the sub layers tat go with breathables, but this seems to me to be more of a marketing ploy than an addition that breathables just aren’t up to the job.
I also now carry a Fladen two piece flotation suit for the colder nights, as warm as toast at 03:00 in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Reactions: KAM

salad

Visit site
Now for a dose of wet weather gear blasphemy.
Breathable wet weather gear? Never again, I have gone back to old fashioned non breathable gear (Guy Cotten), had two sets of breathable gear, neither performed as well as non breathable,and I have never felt so cold on overnight passages.
Yes I know you are supposed to wear all the sub layers tat go with breathables, but this seems to me to be more of a marketing ploy than an addition that breathables just aren’t up to the job.
I also now carry a Fladen two piece flotation suit for the colder nights, as warm as toast at 03:00 in the middle of the Irish Sea.

I can't talk about sailing but with skiing, I have a jacket and trousers that are, from memory, 10k/10k rated. Thats breathability and waterproofing.

It doesn't matter how good a jacket is, if you don't wear the right base layer, you'll be cold. In case you're not familiar, the reason is that you need to wick the moisture away from your body as soon as its produced, once thats happened, the breathability of the jacket comes into play. I would never suggest anything other than quality (and somewhat costly) merino wool base layers. For skiing or even just generally in winter, I wear 200 down to about -5, then swap to something thicker. I've been out all day skiing in -18 to -20 before and never been cold with this setup, even on chairlifts in 20mph wind. Without a decent breathable jacket, the moisture would have become trapped and you'll get damp.

The nice thing about merino base layers is that they rarely smell, are easily washed, dry quickly and last years. Mine are 10 years old and the only thing wrong is that the label has faded and they are slightly thinner on the elbows. I can wear them for a week whilst camping outdoors, all day and night and still no smell. Remarkable material if you ask me.

Anyway, combine the base layers with a good technical mid layer, then jacket on top. Lets you chop and change as conditions vary.

Theres more standing about with sailing than skiing, so I'd wear a heavier baselayer for sailing than skiing by default and probably have an additional mid layer handy too. Yes, you can move about no problem if you make sure they are all compatible and not too thick! With outer jackets, thick does not equal warm unless we're talking about down. It's all about layers.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
[QUOTE="salad, post: 8024708, member: 175133"

It doesn't matter how good a jacket is, if you don't wear the right base layer...

The nice thing about merino base layers is that they rarely smell, are easily washed, dry quickly and last years. Mine are 10 years old and the only thing wrong is that the label has faded and they are slightly thinner on the elbows. I can wear them for a week whilst camping outdoors, all day and night and still no smell. Remarkable material if you ask me.
[/QUOTE]

Wool is also fireproof, and retains its insulating properties when it gets wet.

Supertramp

Visit site
I’ve given up on wet weather stuff designed by the leisure wear firms - invariably overpriced, lose waterproofness rapidly and generally poor quality - IMO, of course. Have a look at any industrial clothing suppliers - I go to HIS or MCGregors in Inverness. Hardwearing, waterproof, comfortable to wear and cheap as chips compared to leisure sector offerings. No good if you are into fashion and not available in childrens sizes though. As mentioned, dry suits also available, though I’ve not tried them yet. As also mentioned, sweating and therefore condensation is not such a problem in sailing as it is with other outdoor activities, so so-called breathable materials not, I think, so important.
I agree with you and similarly bought a set of fisherman's waterproofs in Inverness after a particularly unpleasant East Coast trip 45 years ago. They were surprisingly good, at least at the time. And no fancy treatment needed.

Breathable gear is good but expensive and only breathes properly when it's not soaking wet. I have climbed in top flight breathable gear in pouring rain and they don't breathe in that! OK behind a spray hood I guess.

Stick with cheap and cheerful (Decathlon etc) at first until you gain some experience of the conditions you choose to sail in.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Merino wool baselayer
Mid price salopettes/ jacket
Fleece jacket & balaclava
Warm checked shirt
Dunlop fisherman's boots for cold/wet, Dunlop vollies for warm/dry
Really warm socks/waterproof socks/ booties
Warm gloves
Warm "skull cap", waterproof fleece lined cap to go over it.
Windproof walking type trousers for dry conditions

obmij

Visit site
Appreciate that it is good to look good and there is always a temptation to buy the best available just in case. Having said that, if you turn up on a competent crew course in Musto HPX or the equivalent from HH or Gill, you might look a bit silly. Not that it matters of course as long as you are happy but it is overkill. Plus, if you're kitting out the fam at the same time you could get a couple of weeks charter for the equivalent.

Below the HPX and perhaps MPX level I suspect a lot of it is marketing and all about being seen to wear the right gear. Again, not much wrong with that if that's what you like, but if you already have skiing and walking gear they will certainly suffice and may well perform better in terms of breathability (although I don't find coastal, non racing sailing to be that sweat inducing anyway)

FWIW I have an ancient set of Musto Oceans which rarely leave the house - although they did get hammered when I was doing a lot of winter offshore miles on deliveries and there is certainly value there if that is what you are thinking of doing.

Anyway, these days my sailing is mainly coastal and for that I wear normal waterproof gear and occasionally a ski jacket. All layered appropriately of course. I rarely find the need for salopettes. I also have a Fladen which I use for longer winter passages especially if solo. Warm as toast.

Well, over to you. If you're keen to get a sailing brand and have the wardrobe space for another set of waterproofs I would just get something that fits and is not too expensive. For your mid and base layers there is no need to buy more if you already have outdoor gear.

Personally though - at pre comp crew level, I wouldn't buy any sailing clothing until you're sure you are going to like sailing!

salad

Visit site
Appreciate that it is good to look good and there is always a temptation to buy the best available just in case. Having said that, if you turn up on a competent crew course in Musto HPX or the equivalent from HH or Gill, you might look a bit silly. Not that it matters of course as long as you are happy but it is overkill. Plus, if you're kitting out the fam at the same time you could get a couple of weeks charter for the equivalent.

Below the HPX and perhaps MPX level I suspect a lot of it is marketing and all about being seen to wear the right gear. Again, not much wrong with that if that's what you like, but if you already have skiing and walking gear they will certainly suffice and may well perform better in terms of breathability (although I don't find coastal, non racing sailing to be that sweat inducing anyway)

FWIW I have an ancient set of Musto Oceans which rarely leave the house - although they did get hammered when I was doing a lot of winter offshore miles on deliveries and there is certainly value there if that is what you are thinking of doing.

Anyway, these days my sailing is mainly coastal and for that I wear normal waterproof gear and occasionally a ski jacket. All layered appropriately of course. I rarely find the need for salopettes. I also have a Fladen which I use for longer winter passages especially if solo. Warm as toast.

Well, over to you. If you're keen to get a sailing brand and have the wardrobe space for another set of waterproofs I would just get something that fits and is not too expensive. For your mid and base layers there is no need to buy more if you already have outdoor gear.

Personally though - at pre comp crew level, I wouldn't buy any sailing clothing until you're sure you are going to like sailing!

I think I'm going to go with midpriced Gill stuff as they do free postal returns and exchange. Coastal level will suffice I think based on what everyone has said. Can always add another base layer if need be. I'll look a prat in it whatever, as it will be new. Nothing worse than having brand new year for any outdoor activity. I'll use ski/mountain stuff for everything apart from the jacket and trousers as it will do the job just as well. Might need some sailing gloves as my ski ones are leather guide gloves and I'm not sure thats ideal for yachting. They will get trashed I'd think?

ylop

Visit site
I think I'm going to go with midpriced Gill stuff as they do free postal returns and exchange. Coastal level will suffice I think based on what everyone has said. Can always add another base layer if need be. I'll look a prat in it whatever, as it will be new. Nothing worse than having brand new year for any outdoor activity. I'll use ski/mountain stuff for everything apart from the jacket and trousers as it will do the job just as well. Might need some sailing gloves as my ski ones are leather guide gloves and I'm not sure thats ideal for yachting. They will get trashed I'd think?
Use the school kit you'll look normal on the CC course! But buying decent gloves is worth it before the course.

Reactions: RJJ

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I'd give a shout-out for Gill waterproof socks. I can stand a lot if my feet are warm.

I tried Goretex socks 40 years ago and didn't think much of them. Stiff and leak prone. But in they have solved all of the problems. I just started back with them 3 years ago, and I'm thrilled. I can wear wear my favorite deck shoes down to 50F or so with no problem, and down to 30F with the thicker socks. They can get clammy about 75F, so in the summer I just let my feet get wet. I sail an open transom sport boat, so feet under water (not just spray) are a common thing.

I never liked clunky boots.

colind3782

Visit site
A lot of people get a bit precious about kit from the likes of Decathlon but I have found it excellent quality for the money and perfectly adequate over base layers. The OP is doing CC not the Vendee Globe! If he doesn't like it he hasn't spent a lot of money. If he does like it then he'll be in penury forever like the rest of us!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
A lot of people get a bit precious about kit from the likes of Decathlon but I have found it excellent quality for the money and perfectly adequate over base layers. The OP is doing CC not the Vendee Globe! If he doesn't like it he hasn't spent a lot of money. If he does like it then he'll be in penury forever like the rest of us!

And there are a great many of us that avoid shit weather when we can.

Finally, I can sail in some pretty shit weather and never get wet (hard top). Why would I want heavy foulies, when more breathable clothes are more comfortable?

salad

Visit site

I love Decathlon stuff to be fair. I don't think I've ever had a bad item from them. I just liked the Gill stuff more and there isn't much of a difference in price.

I know I'm going to love sailing as I love everything to do with boats and the sea, always have. Spent many hours hanging around them in Palma in various marinas, little bit of deck work to help a friend out. Its just my kind of thing. Years ago I used to stick my nose up a bit at actual sailing and wanted a bigger motorboat, but I got over the temporary insanty and here we are. I think I just want a bit of peace and quiet if I'm honest. The pace of life is just too hectic this past 10 years.

I think I will leave the Vendee Globe until at least next summer! ;)

CC will be followed by Day Skipper in short order. Had to do CC to get the miles. Already on with the theory side, waiting on the RYA pack of odds and sods. Even got myself a G158 log. Can't find my EN&SS certificate to put in it so it's currently empty. ?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Are
I love Decathlon stuff to be fair. I don't think I've ever had a bad item from them. I just liked the Gill stuff more and there isn't much of a difference in price.

I know I'm going to love sailing as I love everything to do with boats and the sea, always have. Spent many hours hanging around them in Palma in various marinas, little bit of deck work to help a friend out. Its just my kind of thing. Years ago I used to stick my nose up a bit at actual sailing and wanted a bigger motorboat, but I got over the temporary insanty and here we are. I think I just want a bit of peace and quiet if I'm honest. The pace of life is just too hectic this past 10 years.

I think I will leave the Vendee Globe until at least next summer! ;)

CC will be followed by Day Skipper in short order. Had to do CC to get the miles. Already on with the theory side, waiting on the RYA pack of odds and sods. Even got myself a G158 log. Can't find my EN&SS certificate to put in it so it's currently empty. ?

Are you Palma based?

RJJ

Visit site
Merino....sounds great all you moneybags.

I use man made thermals and fleeces. they are warm and toasty. Like you guys I can wear them for a week. The stink keeps the ladies away, otherwise I find myself fighting them off, it's an awful distraction.

Wool, silk, cashmere all fine. The only thing is NO cotton

salad

Visit site

I use man made thermals and fleeces. they are warm and toasty. Like you guys I can wear them for a week. The stink keeps the ladies away, otherwise I find myself fighting them off, it's an awful distraction.

Aldi, or maybe Lidl do merino stuff from time to time. I don't know how good it is compared to Icebreaker and Smartwool but it was 100% merino. Probably just not stitched quite as well, but it's an easy material to work with if you have a sewing machine.

laika

Visit site
I do have an idea of whats required with skiing, which is of course exposed to weather, much as sailing is.

Then rather than taking random fashion advice from people on the Interweb, why not use the school-provided clothing and subsequently your high quality skiing gear until you feel you know what you need that's different and go and look for that? Ski gear is rather more appropriate for sailing than the motorcycle kit I learned to snowboard in was for the mountain.

Ranges change over the years. Modern Musto MPX gear is lighter and more flexible than my 15 year old suit. You need to compare what’s available today rather than people’s brand recommendations from several years ago.

Bottom line: if you have nice weatherproof ski gear defer the decision and wear that until you’ve had time to work out what you personally need for the type of sailing you do.

Last edited:

salad

Visit site
Then rather than taking random fashion advice from people on the Interweb, why not use your high quality skiing gear until you feel you know what you need that's different and go and look for that? Ski gear is rather more appropriate for sailing than the motorcycle kit I learned to snowboard in was for the mountain.

It sounds a bit like you've got money to burn but more expensive != more betterer and it won't be til you've been sailing for a while that you'll know what you want. And the ranges continue to evolve so bear that in mind when listening to advice. Musto's modern MPX range are considerably lighter and more flexible than my 15 year old ones. I've been in some pretty unpleasant conditions over the past couple of decades that I'd be unlikely to encounter as a recreational sailor but only ever really felt that the progression from MPX was to a drysuit rather than HPX. OTOH the HPX are tougher around the knees etc. so maybe the sweet spot *for me* is HPX salopettes and an MPX jacket for truly nasty conditions outside of the southern ocean ? But your milage may undoubtedly vary and if you don't intend to place yourself under a wall of green water anytime soon...why not save your money?

Bottom line: if you have nice weatherproof ski gear defer the decision and wear that until you have enough experience to decide for yourself.

Ski stuff is tail ending now otherwise it would be ideal as its actually snowboarding stuff. Haven't been fortunate enough to ski since 2019 what with all the covid stuff.

Speaking of money to burn, the Gill stuff Ive been looking at was £250 for a jacket which I really didnt think was too bad at all.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

I’m not a merino fan, but those who are might like to check out sportpursuit.com , some great offers from time to time. I’ve had a fair bit of other kit off them. They can be slow, (lots comes from Europe and Scandinavia) but they’re quite good with the comms.