RYA Yachtmaster = What in merchant world

theduke

Visit site
RYA Yachtmaster/DOT. Was equivelant to class 4 deck officer, I believe this has now changed, can anyone on the forum tell me what /why it changed. and what does an RYA Yachtmaster/MCA Ocean certificate equal in the professional world?

Equinox

www.ihatechavs.com
As far as I am aware the RYA Yachtmaster has no equivalent in the merchant world (commercial shipping). If you are asking if it is an equivalent to the old Class 4 for yachts only then I can tell you it is not an equivalent as the Class 4 (now Master(Y) 3,000GT) is a superior qualification to the RYA Yachtmaster. The yachtmaster usually only qualifies you to skipper up to 200GT and that is if it has been commercially endorsed. I think geographical restrictions apply to this and in order to have these lifted you need an Ocean Yachtmaster's certificate.

If you wish to ask the MCA about this then I wish you the very best of luck as I've just spent nearly four months trying to get confirmation from the MCA about a certification question I had myself.

PilotWolf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you wish to ask the MCA about this then I wish you the very best of luck as I've just spent nearly four months trying to get confirmation from the MCA about a certification question I had myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad its not just me!

W.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
It sais...
valid for commercial use on vessels subject to the codes of practice issued by the MCA.

Which are for commercially operated sailing boats...
http://www.bluemoment.com/codeofpractice/annex7.html

which essentially doesn't have an equivelant (as I see it) in terms of deck officer as it is restricted to sailing vessels up to 24m and 200gt.

I hope this answers you question, but as others have said MCA has a lot of red tape and people but not so many answers.