RYA-WHY?

penpal

Visit site
As a motor boat owner and a member of RYA, it suddenly dawned on me over the weekend that I am wasting my money being a member. Can anyone out there actually think of a good reason? Surely we are not going to spend an annual fee just for the honour of flying their flag?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
One thing I do know, this is a very emotive subject! I am personally not a member and have no intentions of joining.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
only found one reason to date - i have YM and wanted ICC. the certificate was free to members but the non-members fee was £1 more than the cost of a year's sub.

i joined but didn't renew the next year.

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
Firstly I may be biased as I have been involved in one or two of the RYA committees in past years.
I understand the doubts that many motor boat owners have. Personally I feel that the worst thing RYA have done to excacerbate this was to combine RYA Motor Boat Committee with RYA Cruising. Nothing to do with the excellent people in the current RYA Cruising purely a PR blunder. The other thing I believe is that RYA do a lot for both sail and power, it is just not very good at publicising their motor boat side.
A few examples of benefits to Mobos:
Current price level of red diesel,
Lack of statutory licencing,
Maintenance of coastal bouyage systems (liasing with governing bodies),
Current lobbying for better marking of fishing gear (lobster pots etyc),
Current lobbying (with BMF and IWA) for low tax red diesel,

These are just a sample.
The RYA Website contains much that is beneficial to motor boaters (some also of benefit to sailing). www.rya.org.uk
The Legal department is very helpful and well informed in all matters related to boats and the law.

I understand the feeling but take a look at their website. I hope it may leave you with a different flavour.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site
a few years ago i would have shared your opinion (and for what i thought good reasons) but not now. its the way that the government's attitude to regulation has changed to one that is coercive and prescriptive which bodes ill for leisure sailing. but also, you find the rya working right across the uk and in some of the least likely and least rewarding (in terms of return for effort) places ....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
I reckon it's good value for:

1. All the lobbying and campaigning on our behalf for everything from regulation to pot marking.

2. Help and encouragement to youth squads and competitive sailing in general.

3. Useful and informative regular newsletter.

4. Discounts on many useful books and literature.

5. Somewhere to put your feet up for a while at Boat Shows!

Not even including the red diesel thing (as a user of about 10 litres of PETROL per annum!)

Geoff

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
But you have to say that if you judge by results they are not very effective.

They have failed to influence the government when it comes to the new "drink / boating" legislation.

They don't seem to have made any significant progress on pot marking.

I doubt if they are going to get anywhere on Red Diesel...

What (other than an impressive haul of Olympic Medals) has RYA actually achieved over recent years that is of any benefit to me as a cruising sailor?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Clive

Visit site
As usual it is I, I, I. Little thought of the general good of others.

One thing is certain the RAY hasn't managed to teach the majority of the motor boat users' manners.

A fair majority still break speed limits, create excessive wash, are loud and noisy in what could be a beautiful and peaceful harbours and anchorage's.

I, for one, am thinking that the extra price on diesel could be a good thing, ie reduce the number of ill-mannered noisy and smelly motor boats using our pleasant waters.

As to drinking. I firmly believe that one should not be drunk on a boat at any time, under way or anchored.

<hr width=100% size=1>Clive

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Because without it we would have no voice lobbying in the wilderness of (local and national) government, nobody co-ordinating training standards and grass roots (youth) development of our sport/hobby, or fulfilling any of the RYA's many functions. Maybe one day I will have cause to make use of the support services that the RYA provides and then I might be more able to comment. In the mean time I think I will keep paying my subs.

<hr width=100% size=1>Think I'll draw some little rabbits on my head, from a distance they might be mistaken for hairs.

fireball

Visit site
Sorry StugeronSteve - I didn't refresh and took me 3/4hr to post!!

Nobody has mentioned the courses that they administer and the teaching establishments that they inspect ... without these we wouldn't have such an easy time in learning about the various disciplines needed to make the best out of this sport.

"How does this affect me?" you ask yourself ... well - there wouldn't be as many people out there willing and able to help you for a start, and a larger proportion of those out there wouldn't know the first thing about colregs - probably resulting in more collisions...

So - no RYA - no national squad or training geared to get the younger generation up to speed with the knowledge and encourigment required to bring back a lorryload of medals from the olympics ....

Mind you, it could make it quieter all round if the goverment decided to introduce a boat tax and compulsory licencing oh .. and any other ill though out scheme it decided.
Without the RYA to give the boating community a strong & unified voice it could happen.

Then again - boat tax could always be introduced - the revenue of which goes to the NBA - National Boating Authority ..... at least membership of the RYA isn't compulsory!

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by AFrogley on 29/11/2004 16:09 (server time).</FONT></P>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Touch of a pot calling the kettle black here, isn't there? Tarring majority of motorboaters as bad mannered just shows your own ignorance IMO.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Clive

Visit site
It is not ignorance, it is experience.

If there is a noisy boat in the marina or harbour 9 time out of 10 it is a motor boat. If you hear a generator running late at night it is usually attached to a motor boat, If your yacht is thrown about it will be the wash of a motor boat.

I rest my case.

<hr width=100% size=1>Clive

sailorman

Visit site
i have been a member since 1974, dont have a Flag / Pennant.
if we dont support the RYA, who will, raise / fight/ represent, issues that affect us all.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nil iligitmo carborundum

duncan

Visit site
As said - "Without the RYA to give the boating community a strong & unified voice it (anything and bad!) could happen".

Have to agree with this completely (and I have disagreed with just about eveything else this gentleman has written since arriving here /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) but that not only means that all facets of Britich boating should be represented at the RYA but that it should then represent them fully and not take the easy way out and protect the interests of favoured groups.

As an example the approach re drinking and boating that attempted to 'ringfence' recreational sailing craft inc dingy's and boardsailers even to the consideration of tenders travelling to and from moorings (however powerfull) showed just where their heart was

Beyond that I wil not get drawn in deferrence to Tome's peackeeping .....

<hr width=100% size=1>madesco madidum ..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Cantata

Visit site
******i have been a member since 1974, dont have a Flag / Pennant.
if we dont support the RYA, who will, raise / fight/ represent, issues that affect us all.
I have to agree, despite misgivings about some of the stuff they spend my money on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: While the RYA isn\'t perfect..

.. in truth thats an understatement, but, it's all we've got. There is a cold wind blowing and UK yachting could easily catch a chill. Regulation, taxation and restriction of sailing areas are all on the horizon. I don't for a minute think the RYA is strong enough to see off changes but they may get them discussed rather than imposed.

The EU & HMG will use safety and security to corral sailors and they'll make us pay for the wood to fence us in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
So you are saying they are not the issues RYA needs to address - in that case what is the point?

I wasn't passing an opinion on the merits of each case - but using them as an illustration of where RYA might be speaking up for boaters when they clearly aren't.

Feel free to replace them with any other list of topics which you think the RYA have been effective...

BTW I don't really have an opinion about Red Diesel except to say that I think the duty on road fuel should be standardised.

On drinking - I see no problem with being over the legal limit at times when the boat is secure on a mooring or in a marina overnight. In my book over the legal limit does not equate to being drunk which is a more severe condition.

<hr width=100% size=1>