Running engine (diesel) with the ignition turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarabande

Visit site
Oscar Wilde, "I wish I had said that."

James McNeill Whistler, " You will, Oscar, you will.

A pedant might argue that Whistler should have said "you shall" to indicate intent, rather than "you will" which indicates proclivity. But this is probably lost on the forum's engineers (and chemist) who can argue inconclusively , it seems, for pages about an ignition key.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Oscar Wilde, "I wish I had said that."

James McNeill Whistler, " You will, Oscar, you will.

A pedant might argue that Whistler should have said "you shall" to indicate intent, rather than "you will" which indicates proclivity.

I think "will" was right - he was suggesting that Wilde would later claim the quote as his own.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My personal outrage is quite sufficient reason IMO. I've got better things to do instead of reading this thread to see what further depths it's reaching.
I have better things to do than redecorate the bathroom. I resolve this by not redecorating the bathroom. Have you considered not reading this thread?

convey

N/A
Visit site
Really? I was hoping for another 20 pages? See how long before the admin notices...
Someone already snitched to them, but they won't say who.

Can the adults get back to discussing the finer details of the old Suck Squeeze Bang Blow cycle now?

I don't even remember Earlybird taking part in the discussion, did they appear at the climax specifically to be offended by it?

Last edited:

convey

N/A
Visit site
The adults have already discussed it and are unanimous in their opinions

Remind me what that was? Unfortunately, a census of a group of people with a rudimentary grasp of the subject does not establish what is right. They lost me when they started discussing square and spherical pistons. At a certain point, adults start suffering from onset dimentia and become less coherent.

So, we got to either,

the compression ratio is determined by an equation and the shape of the piston and combustion chamber has nothing to do with it​

or

the compression ratio is determined by the combination of the shapes (dimensions) of the piston and combustion chamber (and a few other aforementioned minor physical factors).​

Which is it?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I don't think you guys are handling the Covid-19 lock-down too well. Here is an article that might help.
PDF
6 days ago - Travellers are reminded that the COVID-19 ... Mental health support services ... For COVID-19, the incubation period generally ... If you are feeling frustrated, please remember that being aggressive and argumentative towards......

Screenshot_2020-08-09 madman crazy covid-19 - Google Search.png

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
So, we got to either,
the compression ratio is determined by an equation and the shape of the piston and combustion chamber has nothing to do with it​
or
the compression ratio is determined by the combination of the shapes (dimensions) of the piston and combustion chamber (and a few other aforementioned minor physical factors).​
Which is it?​
The definition of compression ratio is the ratio of the total volume enclosed in the cylinder at bottom dead centre to the volume at the end of the compression stroke.

This is the definition ... it is not open for discussion or debate ... it is the definition

It can be represented by the mathematical equation .... C= Vt/Vc

There is no mention of the shapes of the volumes in the definition

In a little more detail

compression ratio definition.jpg

convey

N/A
Visit site
The definition of compression ratio is the ratio of the total volume enclosed in the cylinder at bottom dead centre to the volume at the end of the compression stroke.

This is the definition ... it is not open for discussion or debate ... it is the definition

Since when were we discussing dictionary definitions of the term?

So far, we have description, determination and now we're on to definition ... but you're still mentally blocked, and at the most rudimentary level of understanding.

Let's try again ...

OK, so what determines the "volume at the end of the compression stroke"?​
[Clue: it's not a mathematically equation, a mathematically equation only describes what's going on, not determines it].​

Thank you. I am sure we'll get there in the end.

(The volume at BDC determines nothing, so I'm ignoring it. It's the proverbial "one hand clapping" in this equation)

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
from the very beginning.
Indeed so. o_O

Convey keeps asking "OK, so what determines the "volume at the end of the compression stroke", or variations thereof, and I keep telling him that the only sensible answer to that question is for me to write a book on the fundamental principles of internal combustion engine design.

I guess that means that the simple answer to his question is "virtually every crankcase and head component". :oops:

Actually, thinking about it further, the simplest answer to "what determines the "volume at the end of the compression stroke" is "the engine designer". ;)

Richard

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Since when were we discussing dictionary definitions of the term?

Since you tried to sell us some nonsense about compression ratio being dependent on the shape of the piston
Let's try again ...
OK, so what determines the "volume at the end of the compression stroke"?
[Clue: it's not a mathematically equation, a mathematically equation only describes what's going on, not determines it].
Thank you. I am sure we'll get there in the end.
(The volume at BDC determines nothing, so I'm ignoring it. It's the proverbial "one hand clapping" in this equation)
The volume at the end of the compression stroke, or clearance volume, is the volume enclosed by the piston and the adjacent end of the cylinder when the crank is at top dead centre.

penberth3

Visit site
from the very beginning.

The thread actually began with this, then moved on to other things:

images

Status
Not open for further replies.