Running engine (diesel) with the ignition turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.

convey

N/A
Visit site
An irregular shape shape cannot be defined by its dimensions.
May be you ought to try slightly more complex mathematics than primary school level geometry?

You know, like using π and stuff like that.

Have a look at what engineers can do with parametric modelling these days, and the structures they can build. Surprise, surprise, they are even using it to develop boats and diesel engines.

How could you use a 5-axis CNC machine to cut ports in a cylinder head, which is way more complex than your fridge stickers above, if you cannot do the maths first?

(Short answer: you subdivide it up into lots of smaller, more familiar shapes and use algorithms)

How embarrassing.

Go for it!
I'm getting really, really close ... and having read an article about how the UK-Japan trade deal has stalled because the Tory MP involved is arguing over the status of Stilton, it's going to involve people eating really stinky cheese. And may be some fudge.

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
May be you ought to try slightly more complex mathematics than primary school level geometry?

You know, like using π and stuff like that.

You mean like the finite element analysis I was doing in the Mechanical Engineer Degree in 1970-71

Any the way I posted early in the thread as to how to determine the volume of a top of the pistons you posted.

The integration method of area/volume is an approximation and depends on how fine you breakdown the area and volume.

Moments of area used in beam bending calculations are calculated on this way. Do you know what 3rd and 4th moment area are and how they are used.
There is some one on the forum who knows this much better than I as he lectures on it every day or so.

Have a look at what engineers can do with parametric modelling these days, and the structures they can build. Surprise, surprise, they are even using it to develop boats and diesel engines.

Oh yes there days it's done by computer in my day we used to do it manually. Im fact I did some programming for calculation and balancing forces in the overhead conveyor systems used in building cars and white goods

How could you use a 5-axis CNC machine to cut ports in a cylinder head, which is way more complex than your fridge stickers above, if you cannot do the maths first?

Well it the designer / draughtsman skill who specifies the shape of the component to be made and the CAD and CAM programs convert the designs into instructions for your 5 axis CNC machines to make and all the operator had to do is load the program and press the start button.

(Short answer: you subdivide it up into lots of smaller, more familiar shapes and use algorithms)

How embarrassing.

To measure the area of an irregular shape would be by using a planimeter.

These days to measure a volume is a laser scanner.

Technology has moved on and has changes the skills that are needed to manufacture complex components but even through now retired I still keep up with latest developments. ike using laser and plasma stainless cutting. TIG and MIG welding taken over from stick and Oxy acetylene welding. I can do both MIG I an new at.

You are not the only one with technical knowledge but I do wonder to what level as it seems you think you know more than you do as stated ny Coopec numurus posts ago.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Out of interest, were you still using a slide rule then?

I still have a slide rule. But use a calculator now or write programs on my PC where the calcs are repetitive

An interesting fact is that when I worked as an Engineering development design draughtsman the the Development depart was the only department to have a desk top calculator, but I used to the the main frame computer for engineering calculating. I also went to ICL in stevenage to use their bigger computer for doing drawing on the A0 plotter

jbweston

Visit site
One unfortunate side effect of this thread. You guys who are saying the same thing to each other over and over again do know that no-one who sees this thread will ever again want to join you as crew, or have you join them as crew, don't you?

For me the number one qualification for crew isn't sailing skill or how beautiful (or unugly) they are, but whether they are interesting and fun to be with. People who rant on and on about the same thing are not interesting and fun to be with. The thought of a night watch in the cockpit with a ranter - or even worse a gale-bound few days in Little Anchorage-in-the-Back-of-Beyond - sends shivers down my spine.

Have you considered taking your rants into private messages?

I appreciate that there's a certain entertainment value in spectating an anchor thread on steroids. In the 17th and 18th centuries people used to go to Bedlam Hospital to gawk at the pitiful lunatics. Possibly we, like the Bedlam visitors, should be ashamed of ourselves for the lunatic-gawking. At least we aren't asked to make a cash contribution for the privilege of watching.

If I were a moderator I'd have closed and deleted this thread long ago. But I'm not. And I can't.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
For me the number one qualification for crew isn't sailing skill or how beautiful (or unugly) they are, but whether they are interesting and fun to be with. People who rant on and on about the same thing are not interesting and fun to be with. The thought of a night watch in the cockpit with a ranter - or even worse a gale-bound few days in Little Anchorage-in-the-Back-of-Beyond - sends shivers down my spine.
You're making the elementary mistake of believing that the online personas of many forumites is anything like their real life persona. ;)

Richard

NotBirdseye

Visit site
You're making the elementary mistake of believing that the online personas of many forumites is anything like their real life persona. ;)

Richard

I'm not entirely sure what he's on with I don't see the problem with some lively discussion as long as all parties can resist descending into fisticuffs and shouting. I'm sure most of us here would get on quite well, discussing more pleasant things like sailing and... did you forget to tie down the liferaft... is the sail still up... why is there an iceberg floating past the window, aren't we going to the Caribbean?

convey

N/A
Visit site
You mean like the finite element analysis I was doing in the Mechanical Engineer Degree in 1970-71
Well, why do you say stuff like "an irregular shape shape cannot be defined by its dimensions" and show us line drawings of fridge magnets as examples of "impossible stuff" to calculate?

Shape has a number of meanings in English, primarily a) the external form, contours, or outline of something (which mostly certainly can be defined to the nth degree by its dimensions), b) a geometric figure, or a kind of shape, etc.

I used the former. Others of you have attempt to use the latter as a way of fudging the issue to distract from the nonsense Rainbow Paul posted.

In the case of a deflector piston, the same 3 factors would still apply in determining the compression ratio; the shape (dimensions) of the piston including ring placement, the shape of the combustion chamber, and the deck height.

One of the more impressive mappings I saw recently was that of Levitated Mass, a 340 ton granite boulder that was transported 105 miles an then installed as an art work in Los Angeles.

Talk about defining the dimensions of an irregular shape, they had to work out its centre of balance precisely. I think if engineers can do that nowadays, back calculating the dimensions of a combustion chamber, presuming they haven't the drawings, really isn't that hard. Likewise modifying the shape of a piston to increase the CR. All done by maths these days.

images

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
RichardS

It's interesting that you did this according to convey.

RichardS said:

Is that the case or has convey lost it.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
RichardS

It's interesting that you did this according to convey.

RichardS said:

Is that the case or has convey lost it.
I did, indeed, whisper that fact into my Wife's ear a few days ago. It's a complete lie, of course, but it passes for pillow talk at my age. :(

Of course, this raises a whole host of questions.

We need answers ..... and we need them now!

Richard

convey

N/A
Visit site
I did, indeed,

Thank you for confirming, yet again, that I was correct in the statement I made.

You'll find that convey has a very high average for accuracy and can generally aways support their position with good references or citations.

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site

I did, indeed, whisper that fact into my Wife's ear a few days ago. It's a complete lie, of course, but it passes for pillow talk at my age. :(

Of course, this raises a whole host of questions.

We need answers ..... and we need them now!

Richard

Thank you for confirming, yet again, that I was correct in the statement I made.

You'll find that convey has a very high average for accuracy and can generally aways support their position with good references or citations.

You miss quoted Richard as you deleted the whole of his statement and change the context.

I think Richard was been sarcastic in in his reply to me as it was not Richard who posted about finite element analysis and Mechanical Engineer Degree, It was me so this an the fact you don't answer questions asked raises questions on you real knowledge and actions.

rotrax

Visit site
I like two comments I heard near the 'Tart with the Cart' in Dublin a few years ago.

Two young men were discussing someone else - their boss perhaps - and their conversation went something like :-

" Sure, that Shamus has an all encompassing knowlege of the inconsiquential! "

" He does too- he is a figment of his own imagination! "

Remind you of anyone..................................

rogerthebodger

Visit site

Not its just confirmation bias picking the references or citations that prove you position and disregarding/ignoring and that contradict you position.

We all have confirmation bias to some extent like putting forward a product the you of your employer supplies.

True problem solvers look at all the evidence before putting a solution forward and as someone who is not employed or supply and goods I would not have a particular bias.

convey

N/A
Visit site
I think Richard was been sarcastic in in his reply to me as it was not Richard who posted about finite element analysis and Mechanical Engineer Degree, It was me so this an the fact you don't answer questions asked raises questions on you real knowledge and actions.

Whereas I agree with you that a few individuals on this topic are sarcastic by nature, and it's not a quality that I value very highly, your last posts are falling apart so much in the use of English, that I can't follow them.

Funnily enough, if often tends to happen when we are attempting to be smart arses. It's like the sub-conscious kicks on to trip their egos up and has them make a fool of themselves. No idea what you are referring to now.

The compression ratio in an internal combustion engine is determined by a combination of the shape of the piston and combustion chamber because, in combination they then determine what Vc is. That is "shape" as in dimensions, not the "kind of shape" as others have attempting to assert, in order to confuse the issue and protect they and their friend's egos by burying the stupidity of the original comments and arguments behind noise and cruft.

I am not suggesting that the original "Emperor" has "no clothes on", but he certain dropped his pants in public and prove he has a small pee-pee in this department.

Status
Not open for further replies.