Running engine (diesel) with the ignition turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
@Robert Wilson was just trying to find out if running the engine with the ignition turned off would have done anything to the boat. Two years later, sixteen pages and a couple of injectors later...

It's not uncommon for engines to have completely separate cylinder heads and rocker covers but a common cylinder block/barrel. I have some experience with those.

Much less common in small engines is where the cylinder head, cover and barrel/block are separate and it's only the bottom end which holds the crankshaft which is common. I've never worked on one of those and I very much doubt that Convey has either.

Whether he's ever heard of such engines is a moot point. ;)

Richard

at least you're still discussing the engine! Has been a fun read if somewhat technical read.... though I think I may have missed whether it was concluded that the Kubota or the alternator would have been affected by turning off (the ignition)... last I heard we just had the vague notion that it depended on the age of the engine?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
@Robert Wilson was just trying to find out if running the engine with the ignition turned off would have done anything to the boat. Two years later, sixteen pages and a couple of injectors later...
at least you're still discussing the engine! Has been a fun read if somewhat technical read.... though I think I may have missed whether it was concluded that the Kubota or the alternator would have been affected by turning off (the ignition)... last I heard we just had the vague notion that it depended on the age of the engine?
Post #155 was (arguably!) the definitive answer to the original post, although that was rather a long time ago. ;)

Richard

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Correctly answered in post #2, again in post #5 and confirmed in post #7

rogerthebodger

Visit site
#155 was correct, but #2 beat you to it :)

Yes the original question was answered by several people so each confirmed the other. There is no need for it to be a pi**ing contest.

The sad part is then someone hijacked the thread not addressing the original question just to polish his own ego.

The shame is the we all took the bait, including myself.

VicS

Visit site
Put it away Richard,you'll get arrested o_O

Original question:
Somehow I motored about fifteen minutes with the ignition turned off. What potential damage?

Reply at #2:
No problem
It just meant that for 15 minutes your instrumentation and alarms were not working.

Richard's reply, #155,, 2 years later ....... "the definitive answer ", he calls it.

Although that only applies to disconnecting the alternator to battery connection. Disconnecting the ignition using the ignition switch has never been an issue. As Roger says, it is all based on a misunderstanding.

I dont understand how that is the definitive reply........... I dont even understand how it answers the original question , but Richard is always right, even when he is wrong he is right so I suppose it must do

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Original question:

Reply at #2:

Richard's reply, #155,, 2 years later ....... "the definitive answer ", he calls it.

I dont understand how that is the definitive reply........... I dont even understand how it answers the original question , but Richard is always right, even when he is wrong he is right so I suppose it must do
Good grief Vic, lighten up for God's sake. :rolleyes:

Richard

Rustyknight

Visit site
I've just had a look back to when the thread was brought back to life, and saw it was a new member making his very first post. As it stands today, it's been his/hers only post, and their last visit to the forum. Probably read the responses that followed and thought the place was a madhouse, and ran like hell...... :p

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I've just had a look back to when the thread was brought back to life, and saw it was a new member making his very first post. As it stands today, it's been his/hers only post, and their last visit to the forum. Probably read the responses that followed and thought the place was a madhouse, and ran like hell...... :p
Brought back to life? I wasn't aware that it had ever died. :unsure:

I guess that when you're up to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. ;)

Richard

convey

N/A
Visit site
?. What was the thread topic ?

Dunno, but I think it should be renamed, "What happens when you interrupt 3 (or 4) specific members' circle jerk and question what's going on".

It's an aside, not really relevent to the OP's question, but in petrol engines, heavily carbonised combustion chambers (by which I mean that the pistons or combustion chambers have heavily covered with carbon deposits, rather than their structure itself be carbonised ... got to be specific here or else some pedant will pick you up on your i's and t's), can cause an overrun, the carbon acting as a glowplug.

One of the benefits of setting one's deck height properly and a tight squish is that it tends to stop that from happening. Another, interestingly enough, are Singh grooves and other modifications to the surface of the combustion chamber, such as directing flame fronts. I would not got to claim they achieve anything else, but it's noticeably clear they do that much.

Never considered nor attempted them on a rattly old diesel though, so I can't say.

Although I stand by the benefits of corrected deck heights and squishes, any mention of Singh grooves should keep discussion going off topic for another 16 pages and no doubt prove to The Circle that I have not got a clue what I am talking about.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Dunno, but I think it should be renamed, "What happens when you interrupt 3 (or 4) specific members' circle jerk and question what's going on".

It's an aside, not really relevent to the OP's question, but in petrol engines, heavily carbonised combustion chambers (by which I mean that the pistons or combustion chambers have heavily covered with carbon deposits, rather than their structure itself be carbonised ... got to be specific here or else some pedant will pick you up on your i's and t's), can cause an overrun, the carbon acting as a glowplug.

One of the benefits of setting one's deck height properly and a tight squish is that it tends to stop that from happening. Another, interestingly enough, are Singh grooves and other modifications to the surface of the combustion chamber, such as directing flame fronts. I would not got to claim they achieve anything else, but it's noticeably clear they do that much.

Never considered nor attempted them on a rattly old diesel though, so I can't say.

Although I stand by the benefits of corrected deck heights and squishes, any mention of Singh grooves should keep discussion going off topic for another 16 pages and no doubt prove to The Circle that I have not got a clue what I am talking about.

You have provided ample proof (y)

PaulRainbow

Visit site

More likely a troll post.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
The engine is still running sweetly and the batteries are being provided with ample power by the alternator which hasn't melted, blown-up, fallen-off or stopped turning.
Just thought I'd mention that - good grief, is it really two years since I asked the question :eek:
However, the solar panels had not performed well this last two years - caused by the connections in the thru-deck plug-n-socket totally corroded away.
OK folks, off you go on another thread-drift ?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The engine is still running sweetly and the batteries are being provided with ample power by the alternator which hasn't melted, blown-up, fallen-off or stopped turning.
Just thought I'd mention that - good grief, is it really two years since I asked the question :eek:
However, the solar panels had not performed well this last two years - caused by the connections in the thru-deck plug-n-socket totally corroded away.
OK folks, off you go on another thread-drift ?
Those thru-deck plug-in sockets are adversely affected by poor cylinder scavenging. This can be cured by installing a big bore exhaust system to reduce back-pressure. (y)

:sick:

Richard

VicS

Visit site
Hey it is Sunday

God said, " Give it a f' kin rest". ( Genesis II,2 )

and The PM said go back to work on Monday .

Status
Not open for further replies.