Rules

loonyscot

Visit site
Recently i was flicking through old copies of varous sailing magazine where i read the following statements:

"Sailors should understand that motor-boats move from place to place in straight lines and should cross these at right angles"

"Sailors should stop using the mantra of power gives way to sail"

It is ridiculous to say that a boat travelling at 20kts and with bow/stern thrusters should give way to a slow, unmaneuverable yacht which has also to note the wind.

Whilst im at it its worth suggesting that all boats- power or sail should give way to a racing fleet. If a yacht on starboard tack sails through a fleet of racing boats on port- as it is entitled to do- then it can cause havoc- both to results and property. Especially motor-boats who cause the most disruption ie. wash as well a wind disturbance (yeah, sailing boats use wind, it doesn't travel through boats). They can easily change course, at 20kts how hard is it to move half a mile off course for 5 minutes?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
You\'re treading on lots of toes

Mobos in proximity to yots and the arrogance of racing yots has been much discussed here, Mr McLoony. You'll find our views range from merely rabid to 'hanging's too good for them'. Let bottle commence.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

burgundyben

Visit site
Re: You\'re treading on lots of toes

Oh, we've done so much of this I cant be arsed....

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: \"Let bottle commence\"

Is this a typo or intended.. ? this might be a freudian typo/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Rules and flags you raggie lot jus love em.....

No chance of you whinging old raggies staying perm moored up in your marinas annoying each other with your clatter clatter wind in rigging irritations.Leaving us young firm happy go lucky stinkies to enjoy ourselves making satisfying amounts of wash all over the place without let or hinderence.

<hr width=100% size=1>My little Princess/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifthe 33 of course.Shame its not just a bit bigger.

duncan

Visit site
Firstly a moboo is going to give way to a racing fleet 'cos they aren't going to be running their engines and therefore have right of way in most circumstances.
Speed is a 2 edged sword - at 20 knots you are not going to have any problem with wind or watching out for me. At 5, the speed I am going to have to go to avoid any wash, you are going to have to put up with the effects of wind, paying attention to me (even if I am avoiding you) and the dangerous activity of taking hands of sheets and tiller to make hand signals at me. I would also point out that at 20 knots you are going to get almost exactly the same 'wash' on a calm day at 1 cable as 4 cables so a really wide berth is pointless.
Finally if someone really does try to avoid causing you inconvience but gets t wrong in some way - maybe they didn't realise that you were going to tack straight back on them after they changed course to stay clear - try to see their side of it; I realise that is difficult having raced for many years with skippers who scream and shout at the ferries and the freighters from half a mile when they percieve that someone has gained an advantage from the passing craft, but it is worth trying.
Many on the forum have been on trips with 'the other side' over the past few months, in different situations, and everyone has enjoyed it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

arran

Visit site
Re: Rules and flags you raggie lot jus love em.....

make wash...enjoy the art of plying the wind and the sea to your advantage, breathe the fresh sea air...but most of all let others do the same

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
This is going to get me into trouble!!!

Have you ever tried "Wash Art" you can draw all sorts of nice pictures with your wash like a smiley face e.t.c. But the best one is a really really tight high speed turn, so all the wash builds up until it hits in the middle creating a huge wave and loads of splashing and spray e.t.c I wonder what would happen to the yacht If I circled it at high speed, do you think I could get it to "Jump" out of the water? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

By the way that was a joke!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

duncan

Visit site
Re: This is going to get me into trouble!!!

clearly the sailboat skipper would be apoplectic and might even suffer a stroke.......would this be manslaughter, murder or just bad luck?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

try it if you want, I'd be up for that /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

arran

Visit site

tis no joke to be surrounded by wash and tormented by bigger boats...you're all bullies as far as I am concerened. I'm not playing this game any more.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site

Carefull Mr Moose.With this lot you need to write the words "This is a Joke" in grate big CAPITOL letters somewhere in the post.
Ps If it is wrote with a "Scotch " translation as well it can help certain posters/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif in memorium of H1.

Forbsie

Visit site
Excuse Me!!!

<If it is wrote with a "Scotch " translation >

The word "Scotch" should only be used to describe things that can be bought such as Whisky, Salmon .......... and Politicians. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Forbsie

Visit site
Re: Excuse Me!!!

Wot you mean?

Like that Algonquian 'Spot the Dog' that you have as a tag line? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

G

Just to add fuel to this...

1) Speed is a double edged thing. Mobos at 20+ knots are NOT manoeuverable - there is such as thing as inertia, you know. Bow and stern thrusters are for manoeuvering in marinas, not an aid to steering. OTOH, I have regularly seen yachts turn through 90 degrees in less than their own length...

2) Why do races always seem to take place in the middle of shipping lanes? Even the dinghy racers in Christchurch harbour feel they have to cross and recross the laughably described 'deep water' channel (four foot deep on a good day, and only twenty wide in places)?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Mobos at 20+ knots are NOT manoeuverable

Errr well is that reason enuf to moderate your speed.. I would say that if you choose to cruise at speeds which limit your manoeuverability is hardly responsible in situations where you may be expected to, or have to, take avoiding action.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
Re: Mobos at 20+ knots are NOT manoeuverable

If I crusied at 10 knots, I would be manouverable but If I wanted to go at 10 knots I'd have bought a Yacht/forums/images/icons/cool.gif If I "choose" to cruise at 15 knots, I would be more manoverable than at 20knots but less than at 10, I would also burn HUGEEE amounts of fuel. If I "Choose" to cruise at 20+ knots, I get to where I want to go within the next 24 hours and I am still fairly manouverable, while I burn less fuel and make less wash than at 15knots. MoBo's are more comfortable and stable and 20 knots as well. So that is why I "choose" to cruise at my "cruising" speed, do you not "cruise" at your "cruising" speed? Are you more manoverable at your cruising speed, If you are, why don't you go at "cruising" speed in the marina?
There, I feel better now!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose