Rules

G

Re: Mobos at 20+ knots are NOT manoeuverable

OK, let's try this again. Everyone knows that mobos can turn in place, twin engines let you do all sorts of natty tricks that long keel yachts can't do etc etc. Except that's all to do with moving around in the marina.

So, tell me, ohdrat...

Your car can do three point turns, and can turn 180 degrees in probably 30 feet. Very manoeuverable, yes? Can you do the same 'U' turn at 70? If not, the I suggest you have all gears apart from 1st and reverse removed, and never drive at more that 5-10mph.

Understand?

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Speakin' personal like, my last boat had sails but was really a motor boat, and with a clean bum and throttle wide open we could do 7 knots, cruising about 6. The boat weighed 65 tons.

Now please consider my manouvrebility amongst a lot of racing hounds tacking backwards and forwards in front of me. I have had some dreadful times.

Entering Cowes a racing yacht went about right in front of me, I know why he did it, not for room or water but because I would have taken his wind. I'm sure they all thought it a great laugh as I lost several pounds in nervous energy winding my gear from forward to astern before increasing revs and parking in the fairway. I feel for the ferry drivers!

I am also a sailor from time to time, but ignorant behaviour is always that; no matter what your motive power.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Mobos at 20 knots are NOT manoeuverable

The trick is to drive/cruise at a speed suitable to the conditions.. taking into account the road/sea conditions and other traffic! USE YOUR BRAINS/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

When do you do u turns on the motorway then??

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Mobos at 20+ knots are NOT manoeuverable

The trick is to drive/cruise at a speed suitable to the conditions.. taking into account the road/sea conditions and other traffic! USE YOUR BRAINS/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

When do you do u turns on the motorway then??

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
spot on - one day someone will shout the wrong thing at the wrong time and I will cut the engine, drift and get the fishing rod out..........I now have right of way and they can do exactly what they like!
Think I would prefer to be 65tons when I do it though..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Read Rule 3(d). Having a fishing line out doesn't necessarily make you into a "vessel engaged in fishing" under the rules. And even if it did, it wouldn't give you any right of way; it would just make you the stand-on vessel, with requirements under Rule 17 (not that real fishing boats seem to know them, particularly 17(a)(i)).

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Mobos at 20 knots are NOT manoeuverable

Quite agree. You wouldn't do a U turn on the motorway, but there are some (and I stress the 'some' part) folks out there who assume that just because they've got a rag up, that they can turn under my bows, and I can do a U turn at 25 knots.

Wherever possible, I give everyone as wide a berth as I can, but it ain't always possible, and as I drop my my speed, I become less and less manoeuverable. I only get real manoeuverability back when I'm at tickover and can use the engines independently. At 4/5 knots, a planing boat with outdrives handles like a pig, don't forget.

<hr width=100% size=1>