RTIR Start Times

bedouin

Visit site
I haven't done the RTIR for a couple of years and I understand that they have changed the start order somewhat. As far as I can tell from the website they have not yet announced start times.

Does anyone know when the smallest ISC boats are likely to start?

Not yet sure whether to enter this year - but the decision will in part be influenced by start and likely finish times

Talulah

Visit site
Not yet sure whether to enter this year - but the decision will in part be influenced by start and likely finish times

Your decision may be influenced by price.
The deadline for sensibly priced tickets at £79 passed on the 2nd June.
To enter now is £230.

Almost 1600 entrants to date. Not sure how that compares to previous years.

l'escargot

Visit site
From the Notice of Race:

9. STARTING TIMES
9.1 The warning signal for the first start will be at 0650
hours. The warning signal for the last start will be at
0830 hours.
9.2 Starts will be at 10 minute intervals. The start times
of individual classes within the schedule will be
promulgated in the Sailing Instructions and on the
Offical Race Website in early June.

bedouin

Visit site
Yes - I noticed I had missed the boat so to speak (another change - a couple of years ago the prices didn't go up massively until about 2 weeks before).

I think the number of entrants has been pretty constant at about the 1700 level for a few years now

Racecruiser

Visit site
Your decision may be influenced by price.
To enter now is £230.

Almost 1600 entrants to date. Not sure how that compares to previous years.

The entry fee is high at £79 and beyond comprehension at £230! When I tried to say to ISC a few years ago that pitching the same level for all sizes of boats is a bit daft (budget and crew nos differ hugely from say an average 30 footer to a class zero) their answer could have been summed up as 'we've always done it that way'.

I've just entered for the whole of Ramsgate Week for the early bird £100 which seems good value and there is 30% off berthing too (Possible crewing for some days - PM me if interested).

Given that there is always chance of damage at the corners and other places like short tacking up Ryde sands I haven't done the RTI for a few years now but may potter over to spectate.

Maybe they should break the race into two on different dates - IRC rated and ISC handicap so there would be less chance of collisions and you would get a similar depth of race experience.

Talulah

Visit site

The entry fee is high at £79 and beyond comprehension at £230!

My use of the word sensibly was perhaps not appropriate.
We didn't enter last year and won't be entering this year as I consider it expensive for what it is. However, others on here may think it very reasonable.
I also dislike entering as it is so b****y stressful.

chewi

Visit site
Maybe they should break the race into two on different dates - IRC rated and ISC handicap so there would be less chance of collisions and you would get a similar depth of race experience.

That would double their admin to set it up on two dates, unlikely they'd find a second date with suitable tides on a long daylight summer weekend, suitable approvals, availability of volunteers & finish line boats etc. and not clashing with something else, in fact ISC are to be congratulated on keeping it going at all.

They already get up to 1800 entrants at the price it is, so they have no need to reduce it, something has to keep the numbers down, and I dont want the hassle of having to prequalify.

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
Small ISC off last

The original OP was talking about a small ISC boat, which would be in the last start. He could expect to take 10 to 12 hours to complete the course plus getting to the start and finish.

I did it in a 20ft Sun2000 once. We set out from Hythe Marina at first light and didn't get back until after dark. The crowding will be less in the later starts and the start chaos only happens at the Cowes end of the line. Start at the ODM with more space and on a starboard tack (usually) and you will get clear air and not meet up with the crowd until well past Gurnard, by which time it will have spread out a bit. If it still looks too crowded tack off again back towards East Lepe where you will be getting good tide anyway.

I've always found it great fun and less stressful than some round-the-cans race mark roundings. Just keep a good lookout and think ahead to avoid getting into close encounters.

bedouin

Visit site
I was told by someone that they have changed the start order a bit so that the small ISC boats are no longer the last fleet off.

One of the problems for the small boats is that it is not always easy to get into Cowes on the Saturday night - as pretty much the last boats in it is difficult to get a decent mooring - you would probably need a water taxi to get off the boat and they are hard to find. So there is a lot to be said for going somewhere else on the Saturday evening.

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
Folly raft-up

If you haven't booked a berth by now then you won't get one in Cowes. You will be sent up-river to join the massive raft-up at the Folly Inn. Never known anyone turned away from the Folly but it can be up to seven boats deep. A smaller boat can get on the shore side of the pontoon if there is space. There is a water taxi across to the Folly Inn and a river bus service from the Folly to Cowes and back. In previous years the queue has been awful but they are trying to improve it.

You could base yourself in Hamble.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
The entry fee is high at £79 and beyond comprehension at £230! When I tried to say to ISC a few years ago that pitching the same level for all sizes of boats is a bit daft (budget and crew nos differ hugely from say an average 30 footer to a class zero) their answer could have been summed up as 'we've always done it that way'.

I have noticed several times that they don't like critical feedback.

We are going for the ride with a certain heavyweight, experienced forumite on board who says we should be aiming to do better than finish in the top half. I havent worked this out yet as even the winners are in the top half!!

bedouin

Visit site
I haven't done RTIR since I moved to Chi a few years ago - whereas from Gosport it was just a (long) day from Chi it is really 3 days (or at least 2 with a return to Chi at Midnight on the Saturday).

I'll probably switch to either Plan B (go on someone else's boat) or Plan C (day trip from Chi to watch at the forts.

ChiPete

Visit site
I'm based at Chi and definitely see the race as a two nighter - night before race on hook in Osborne Bay, then second night at Gosport before heading back to Chi next day.

Thinking of the Folly to make a change, I have a lift keel, can take the ground and only draw 0.8m - does anyone know if I'll be able to get (or be allowed) into the shore side of the pontoon?

Cheers,
Pete

islandsailor

Visit site
If you haven't booked a berth by now then you won't get one in Cowes. You will be sent up-river to join the massive raft-up at the Folly Inn. Never known anyone turned away from the Folly but it can be up to seven boats deep. A smaller boat can get on the shore side of the pontoon if there is space. There is a water taxi across to the Folly Inn and a river bus service from the Folly to Cowes and back. In previous years the queue has been awful but they are trying to improve it.

You could base yourself in Hamble.

I believe there are still berths at East Cowes Marina and UKSA are worth a try - particularly if you are a smaller boat

islandsailor

Visit site
I have noticed several times that they don't like critical feedback.

We are going for the ride with a certain heavyweight, experienced forumite on board who says we should be aiming to do better than finish in the top half. I havent worked this out yet as even the winners are in the top half!!

IMHO and experience I think that is a bit unfair - they are certainly more open to feedback than Cowes Week - who did you speak to? the current Commodore (who has been very very involved in the RTI race for 30+ years) is a really nice guy - have you tried dropping him a email (don't have the address but sure the club office would it give it to you)

It's a great event and a experience I wouldn't miss