Rope cutters

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Re: Tree branches

That s the next destination, maybe in a few years, up the amazon as far as peru; I did it downstream in local pirogues, and while pink dolphins were quick to run away, trees and damned waterlilies were quickest to foul/stop/twist propellers, nothing a couple of hammer strokes could not repair. local knowledge!

That leaves a lot of time to ponder the usefulness of a rope stripper!

jimi

Visit site
Wirecored Ropes

Bluidy @#ell, I think my instinctive reaction would be to throttle back as soon as I sensed a change in the engine note, but it would appear that in that scenario it would be exactly the wrong thing to do. When I went into St Vaast at Easter it was absolutely thick with pot markers.

Jim

Miker

Visit site
Re: Tree branches in the Irish Sea

I don't think that any tropical rivers flow into the Irish Sea so where do the tree branches that I see come from? And sawn off tree trunks in the river Wyre, usually after a spring tide.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

I was taught at school that the gulf stream gifted Ireland and the UK with a mild/tropical climate.

Please don't tell me my teacher was wrong, he is the last certainty I have left!

Miker

Visit site

So that explains it! I've often wondered where all the crud came from. And the plastic bags? I must look to see whether they are Tescos or Walmart.

pvb

Visit site
Try this website instead...

The real Ambassador website is at www.ropestripper.com - where there's lots of info including prices.

The Ambassador Stripper is an excellent bit of kit. The price reflects very high degree of manufacture. Remember that versions for saildrives are more expensive than for conventional shafts. Bearing this in mind, I reckon the option price quoted is very reasonable.

Sinbad1

Visit site
Go for the Ambassador. They are excellent tho make sure you get a set of the nylon bearings as spares in case you have to replace these. I have dragged lines all over the Med and back to the UK. Tied up in my home port on arrival here and there was 30 meters of line hanging off the prop. Since fitting the Ambassador not one line tho did get a funny noise once half way across the North Sea. Guess someones fishing net now has some serious holes in it.

davidwf

Visit site
Fit it yourself its easy

On a saildrive its really easy to fit, all you have to do it cut a small piece of skirt at the boss of the prop, its then a simple matter of fitting a new Anode with a slot cut in it supplied by Ambasador then sliding the cutter assembly into place and refitting the prop. Their website has full fitting instructions.

doris

Visit site
How much drag....

does a stripper cause? I have been told that the stripper can take 1/4 to 1/2 a knot of the speed of a 35-40 footer. Anyone got any experience??

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Naff all drag

Nah.

The total surface area of a stripper is only a few sqins, and in any case the stripper blades are aligned with prop blades, so they are totally neglible.

What's more they are aft of the P bracket or saildrive leg in an area of non-linear waterflow, so if they account for a speed loss of .01 kt I'd be surprised.

G

Does it work with a folding prop? The stripper would be mounted some 100mm (4") forward of the prop blades. Forum's advice sought.