Rope cutters

nicho

Visit site
A serious (and rather boring question), with apologies in advance if this has been debated before I joined the forum.

Having just specced up our new Bavaria 36 for Jan delivery, I have after some thought, left OFF the rope cutter. It was a rather expensive option at £420, and I have been told by a couple of people that a 29hp engine (Volvo 2030/saildrive) does not have the power to deal with rope cutting anyway.

The cutter on the options list is an 'Ambassador', (that's all I know), and I can't help but feel I can have one retro fitted much cheaper when it comes out the water for first pressure wash etc. Having cruised far and wide over the past 5 years in a motor cruiser without rope cutters, and never had any problem with rope jammed props, perhaps I'm living with a false sense of security?

Having spent some £25K on extra's already, I'm already well over my original budget (why does that always happen?), but I don't want to compromise safety for a few quid (£420 a few quid??). Bit like ABS on a car I suppose, over the past 5 years, I've only had it take over once, but when it did, I was very grateful.

I guess what I'm asking is, in your view they do actually work on low powered yachts, and have you had experience of them working/not working. The benefit of your advice would be appreciated pls.

jimi

Visit site
I'd go for it, it possibly a bit expensive but not completely OTT. The ambassador comes well recommended and it the first I've ever heard of there being any issue over whether there is enough power to drive it.

Jim

dickh

Visit site
Same again, I have the Ambassador fitted, but only because I'd always wanted one but it was too expensive until I picked up a brand new one for £100 - I couldn't resist it, but not sure wether it has worked or not as I have not knowingly caught any ropes. Perhaps we don't get as many loose ropes on the East Coast?
The Ambassador is the best of the cutters on offer, also I've never heard that 29 HP is not enough power...
It will probably cost almost as much to retrofit, (cost + labour, unless you DIY) why don't you contact Ambassador Marine and find out the current price? - sorry don't know their no but they do have a web site.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
The Ambassador Stripper is damn good - came out top in a ST survey. On my 10hp Bukh it chopped through some floating polyprop at tickover. But it is a pretty easy DIY job to fit, so buying it direct and putting it on rather than using the Agents to do it at commisioning would probably save you the price of a handheld VHF.

tome

www.google.co.uk
Nicho

I just ordered an Ambassador cutter for my boat (Volvo 2030) on the advice of this forum - I posted a similiar thread recently. Cost of retrofit is £475 inc VAT so yours doesn't look too pricey.

Marine engineer thinks 29HP no problems for this kit. Incidentally, Ambassador are the only ones who make one for saildrive.

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
One reason for getting it fitted by the manufacturer is that the cutter needs 40mm space on the shaft. Some manufacturers actually put in a longer shaft if you order it as a factory fit, wheras to fit retrospectively you may have to fit (and pay for) a spacer. I dont know whether this would apply to your boat. Against that Ambassador often do 'deals' at boat shows which drops the price. Personally, I'd go for the factory fit.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Buy the missus a knife wa weight belst and a snorkel and mask
then you get dual use
the weight belt and the knife can be used to settle arguments
and the mask and snorkel for swimming

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'you're making a scene'.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I support evrything written so far. I fitted a Stripper last winter. The Boat Show demo cuts 14 mm polyprop with one light hand turn of the prop, so I suspect 29 HP will easily do it. The Stripper is very sharp, so the likelihood that energy will be transferred to the P-bracket or other support seems very low.

tony_brighton

Visit site
Had a stripper on my last boat (26' Gibsea w/9HP volvo) and got one on the recent boat (Bav 34 w/ 18HP volvo). Works excellently, as evidenced by cutting off a pick-up buoy with a 2" strop in a well-known Solent nature reserve last year.

Works very well on Saildrives with no clearance problems. You will need to buy a modified (from Amabassador) or adapt the standard Volvo saildrive anode as it requires a machined cut-out. Or an afternoon's filing and elbow grease.

Highly recommend getting one.

nicho

Visit site
Thanks Sailbad, and everyone else. I've made up my mind to have one factory fitted, though it was a close call between that and your alternative suggestion. The weighted belt, however has a third use that had better not be aired here, just in case SWMBO should ever meet with an unfortunate accident at sea!!

G

Balderdash !!!

29HP is more than enough !!!!!!

Whoever said that it is not .... obviously needs to check out a little more before such satement .... OK my engine is 32HP, but its an old 'wheezy' Perkins 4-99 probably now only producing mid 20's ... still when I had my spurs fitted - it apparently did a good job !!!! Pity that it was taken off .... I'm just trying to save some pennies to replace it !!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Tree branches

Would they work with thick tree branches? Ex in a tropical river I suppose the rope stripper would strip all weed, thick weed etc, what if it meets a submerged tree branch, or a wood log say 3-5cm thick? And going astern?

Seems to me some damage would be caused anyway, maybe more with a stripper?

G

Re: Tree branches

If anyone was to stop fitting one because of tree branches ...... well !!

I can apreciate some of the Mangrove swamps etc. etc and then its a blade cutter instead of the guillotine type to stop any force being applied to p brackets etc.

But we all tend to forget the international nature of the forum !!!!

I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

nicho

Visit site
Re: But

Yes Jim, a lot of thick ones too!!.

Incidentally, just spoke to a fellow at Ambassador marine - he was telling me several boat owners at the Show were interested in their cutters following bad experiences around the French coasts. Seems that our gallant Gallic fishermen are now securing lobster pots et al with ropes that have WIRE cores, thus rendering them almost impossible to clear with even the sharpest of knives, (though he reckons their cutters will do the job as long as the engine is not throttled back as a 'hit' is felt). They also ensure their markers are just under the water and marked by GPS to avoid their catches being poached!!

He also said that £420 fitted was a competitive price (and this is reflected in others comments on this thread too.)

Just about to phone Opal to have it added.

nicho

Visit site
Re: But

Yes Jim, a lot of short and thick ones too!!.

Incidentally, just spoke to a fellow at Ambassador marine - he was telling me several boat owners at the Show were interested in their cutters following bad experiences around the French coasts. Seems that our gallant Gallic fishermen are now securing lobster pots et al with ropes that have WIRE cores, thus rendering them almost impossible to clear with even the sharpest of knives, (though he reckons their cutters will do the job as long as the engine is not throttled back as a 'hit' is felt). They also ensure their markers are just under the water and marked by GPS to avoid their catches being poached!!

He also said that £420 fitted was a competitive price (and this is reflected in others comments on this thread too.)

Just about to phone Opal to have it added.