Rigging a boom preventer

Sixpence

Visit site
I think I get the idea behind this, but if wrong, please let me know
As far as I understand it's to hold the boom out and stop it swinging from one side to the other uncontrolled, which could take a head off ?
If so, how do I manage it ?
Sorry for the dumb question, managed to figure out quite a bit but this one's still confusing me, and when I mentioned it to the other yachties up here they just laughed and said they've never heard of it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
In which case, do I even need one ?

Sixpence

Visit site
Oh goody, that's one less bit of string for me to forget what it does /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and one less job to get done with no time left /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Leighb

Visit site
If it is anything much bigger than a dinghy it may do more than hurt.

A blow on the head from a crash gybed boom could easily render you unconscious, and if you have the misfortune to go over the side as a result the outcome could be serious indeed.

I would always treat gybing with utmost respect, and in particular always make sure that any crew are properly warned.

Even on my 20ft One Design the boom can move pretty fast and has sufficient weight to cause a significant injury. On a 25ft yacht it would be much more severe.

Cantata

Visit site
Leigh, I'm sure 6d realises that, I was trying to be light-hearted.....
When non-experienced folk step onto my boat, the boom is the first thing I talk about. Most especially when they are dinghy sailors.

Sixpence

Visit site
Yep, know exactly what the boom feels like now, so no intention of being in line with it when it swings through /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif no idea why it's called a boom though, 'thud' or 'clunk' or even 'crunch' would be more appropriate /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AliM

Visit site
They are pretty easy to rig when/if you decide you need one...

Line from boom (end or where the mainsheet block is) via a cleat on the foredeck or toe rail somewhere, and back to a cleat that is accessible from the cockpit (so you can reach it in a hurry)... or variations on that.

silverdawn

Visit site
Hi Sixpence, look over on scuttlebutt forum I posted asking advice about a boom preventer and got many varied and very informative answers,and some diagrams on installing a system. look under( Boom Preventer Trial) posted about week ago.When I done my dayskipper practical course 10 years ago it was drumed into all pupils to rig a preventer when sailing dead downwind, the skipper always said if you rig the preventer you are safeguarding the crew and yourself .

Sixpence

Visit site
Thanks for that, but what happens if the boom is off to one side, and as you bring it in ready to tack, the line is then the wrong side of the mast ?
Is it then a case of unclip it, feed it around the mast and clip it on again ?
Sorry if this seams a bit thicko but can't quite get my head around it

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that, but what happens if the boom is off to one side, and as you bring it in ready to tack, the line is then the wrong side of the mast ?
Is it then a case of unclip it, feed it around the mast and clip it on again ?
Sorry if this seams a bit thicko but can't quite get my head around it

[/ QUOTE ]
The preventer will be on one side or the other - thats the point to stop the boom from flying across the boat in an uncontrolled gybe (well until the weakest link gives anyway). When you gybe (having pulled in the boom first and kept the mainsheet in hand to ease out as boom crosses centre line) you will need to rig it on the other side.

A couple of snatch blocks - one on either side up forward would be ideal.

But then again, rarely used in practice.

I note the comments about an instructor telling dazed kippers to always use one. I also remember my driving instructor telling having passed my test that now was when I would learn to drive! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sailorman

Visit site
one block on the centre line abaft the stem Hd with a line rove through, the line long enough to reach the cockpit both sides with a snap shackle both ends.
this can then be used on both tacks & handled from the cockpit.
i used this system on my Co 32

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I note the comments about an instructor telling dazed kippers to always use one. I also remember my driving instructor telling having passed my test that now was when I would learn to drive!

[/ QUOTE ]

We must have had the same instructor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Lost count of how many driving tests I've taken and passed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
I'm not that brave /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif or is it stoopid ? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif