Rhodes New Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi - has anyone got anymore information on the new marina in RHODES. Is it open and if not any news (Factual) when it will be open?

Many thanks

Peter

Joke - may be???
We were in Rhodes town in October and there was no new marina there, just the tired old one that I would rather not be in.

I know there was a Greek Marinas web site which rather optimistically shows a wonderful new marina!

The walled town though is a site worth seeing.

Norman_E

Visit site
I doubt it will ever open. When I visited Rhodes in June (by ferry, as I will not take my boat there) I went to the new marina and took some photos. The site was abandoned, and two boats had moored close inside the entrance. Pontoons had been put in but no water or electricity and the rest of the site was a derelict wasteland. The EU has paid for it out our taxes but the money was siphoned off, and is thought to have funded a road building project, though how much was just stolen is anybody's guess..

The rumour I heard was that a commercial company took over more than a year ago, intending to finish it, and put in the pontoons but was faced with a demand for a large sum of money to get electricity to the site, and abandoned the project rather than pay.

The picture shows the new pontoons and unfinished concrete work, and the general air of dereliction. The outer breakwater has a damaged section that has not been repaired since a winter 2012 storm. I doubt it will look any different in a year's time.
View attachment 36983

Norman_E

Visit site
why can't you just pull in and tie up then? It looks pretty stable from the photos.

I don't advise it. There is no security, and I have heard stories of gangs of Roma in the area. I have other photos, and can see that already some of the pontoons are being pulled apart. A big swell can come in at times, I know that because I anchored in there years ago before the pontoons were there and was nearly wrecked. It actually needs a protecting breakwater outside the entrance to make it really safe

Its a great shame as it could be opened in stages for very little extra investment now, provided nobody else wants a bribe. All it needs is gates and security at the entrance, water electricity and mooring lines to one pontoon, and it could start earning revenue to pay for completion. It is just one of many unfinished projects in Greece, and so long as the Greeks think that the rest of Europe owes them a living, and that EU grants are for buying Mercedes cars and building houses for those that can grab the money it will carry on being like that.

prestonsailor

Visit site
I have just visited the marina and was astonished at how much work is ongoing compared to last year. There are a lot of buildings almost complete and a lot of general activity. I have been told that it should be complete next year (I won't hold my breath!) but there certainly seems to be more happening, fingers crossed.

Oscarpop

Visit site
Drove past this morning ( my parents live there )
Thhe buildings are almost complete, the marina office complete with overlooking coms tower is complete, but unfurnished.

The landscaping has been done with trees , bedding plants and gravel.

The pontoons went in years ago but seem to be serviced now.
Also there were about 20-30 men on site working .

Looks good for opening within 12 months

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Drove past this morning ( my parents live there )
Thhe buildings are almost complete, the marina office complete with overlooking coms tower is complete, but unfurnished.

The landscaping has been done with trees , bedding plants and gravel.

The pontoons went in years ago but seem to be serviced now.
Also there were about 20-30 men on site working .

Looks good for opening within 12 months

Where there boats in the Marina when you drove pasted ?

Sybaris

www.kjellqvist.ch
We live on Rhodes now and there was a report on the local radio station a few days ago saying that it will open for a test run next week, and then if all goes well for real on June 6.
None of the shop and restaurant spaces are likely to open this season so it will be for mooring only.

Per

Status
Not open for further replies.