Rhodes New Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmedsailor

Visit site
We live on Rhodes now and there was a report on the local radio station a few days ago saying that it will open for a test run next week, and then if all goes well for real on June 6.
None of the shop and restaurant spaces are likely to open this season so it will be for mooring only.

Per

PLEASE keep us informed. Have you noticed if there's a fuel station there too? I think the plan was to built one outside the marina (like in Kos).

Thanks

Norman_E

Visit site
We live on Rhodes now and there was a report on the local radio station a few days ago saying that it will open for a test run next week, and then if all goes well for real on June 6.
None of the shop and restaurant spaces are likely to open this season so it will be for mooring only.

Per

Which week is "next week", and will they accept visiting boats in the test run? I have to check out of Turkey by 25th May, and would go to Rhodes if I could get in there. I will check in at Symi, but would then go to Rhodes for a few days if the new marina will take me.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Which week is "next week", and will they accept visiting boats in the test run? I have to check out of Turkey by 25th May, and would go to Rhodes if I could get in there. I will check in at Symi, but would then go to Rhodes for a few days if the new marina will take me.

Norman I have emailed them twice and so far no reply so I wouldn't hold you beath , we off there To morrow but not planning To go into Marina well not unless it free any way , need to hit Lidi before checking into Turkey for our wine and beers , if I hear any thing I will post on here .

Sybaris

www.kjellqvist.ch
I was there yesterday and met the owners (from Athens). It will open this summer with 100% certainty. They are planning liftout facilities for September. But there is also the old Nireas boat yard in the port which bought a brand new 75tonne travel lift from the UK last year. Don't count on the trial opening to be publically available, but the real opening is scheduled for June. It will not be free of course to answer Vic, but I did not discuss the price structure. I met the owners for another business venture.
Cheers,
Per

Sybaris

www.kjellqvist.ch
There is not likely to be a fuel station this summer, but you can call a fuel truck. The whole setup looks very impressive but the way and I am happy it has stayed with Greek owners and not some big Turkish or British company as rumoured.
Per

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I was there yesterday and met the owners (from Athens). It will open this summer with 100% certainty. They are planning liftout facilities for September. But there is also the old Nireas boat yard in the port which bought a brand new 75tonne travel lift from the UK last year. Don't count on the trial opening to be publically available, but the real opening is scheduled for June. It will not be free of course to answer Vic, but I did not discuss the price structure. I met the owners for another business venture.
Cheers,
Per

Question , can we still anchor by the old boat yard ? On the way to day and if the harbour full with the winds turning along the coast it going to be an motoring job to get down to lindos

cmedsailor

Visit site
There is not likely to be a fuel station this summer, but you can call a fuel truck. The whole setup looks very impressive but the way and I am happy it has stayed with Greek owners and not some big Turkish or British company as rumoured.
Per

Thanks. Good to know this. I am planning to stay a few days in Lindos this summer and will need to refuel from somewhere before leaving Rhodes.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
To answer some of my own question , yes we can still anchor East side of the harbour and by the old boat yard , mooring fees in side the harbour on the charter berth is 10 euros a night with power and water .
The new Marina , there was some guys working on the the gardens , no roads or path are laided yet ,althought the ground works has been done , few building , other the. Three piers ( see Google Earth photo ) no other pontoon are in , talking to the workmen when I suggested it will be opening soon they all laughs , if it does open in. June has the owners suggested it will be a very bare Marina .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just an reminder to everyone who decided to moor to the charter berth in the harbour , there a very long chain that runs from one end to the other and even though I know the chain was there I still got my anchor caught on it , lucky we used a tripping line , but it still took some time to trip it . In the end the only way was , to release plenty of chain and move forward pulling the anchor away by the tripping line .

Suggestion drop the anchor at less 60 mts from the wall and as a precaution use a tripping line .

what I can't under stand is , there lazy line on the quay but the guys won't let you use them , it could be the case that the lines are laid by the charter company and that's why .
You been warmed .

nomadic star

Visit site
Just an update, seen with my own eyes ! Rhodes marina now open, we based in Rhodes Mandraki. Spotted a few yachts in there Monday this week, walked over to the new marina this Wednesday. Reception open and 5 yachts moored up, they said we are open for business. They quoted us €25 per night ( 12 m ) s/y, power and water extra by card meter. No showers open yet and could not give a date when, the marina still has a lot of finishing to do. Looks like it will be a nice place when finished ie when shops/restaurants and of course showers open, and when all building works completed (dust)

cmedsailor

Visit site
Just an update, seen with my own eyes ! Rhodes marina now open, we based in Rhodes Mandraki. Spotted a few yachts in there Monday this week, walked over to the new marina this Wednesday. Reception open and 5 yachts moored up, they said we are open for business. They quoted us €25 per night ( 12 m ) s/y, power and water extra by card meter. No showers open yet and could not give a date when, the marina still has a lot of finishing to do. Looks like it will be a nice place when finished ie when shops/restaurants and of course showers open, and when all building works completed (dust)

This is good news. I may visit it in August.

cmedsailor

Visit site
This is good news. I may visit it in August.

Visited the marina for two days. Paid €61 (11,10m boat) plus €6 for water and electricity. Very nice marina, plenty of space to "park" (in fingers; not sure if this is correct terminology), quiet and definately worth visiting. Only 15 minutes walk from the old town or 5 euros by taxi. Marina staff was extremely friendly. Fuel pump not yet finished but they can call for a fuel truck if necessary.

Eltel

Visit site
We sailed into the new marina from Fethiye in early July and were made most welcome. We were struck by the enormity of the marina which when fully completed will be larger than Kos marina. There were about 20 boats moored within the marina stern to with shiny new lazy lines to secure to. We needed diesel and reception called up a mobile tanker which arrived within 20 minutes. There is a fuel dock but it isn't open just yet. As previously mentioned the posh reception with stunning receptionist will happily arrange a taxi into town - a few minutes - for 7 euros (but only 5 euros when for the return journey from the town taxi rank!). The usual trek from Port Police to Immigration to Custom is a pain and why I should have to pay 30 euros as an EU citizen with an EU registered boat to enter Greece is beyond me. I don't think I will bother next time I visit Rhodes although the marina reception do photocopy your transit log upon arrival.

OldBawley

Visit site
The new marina will certainly be a big advantage. Rhodes must be one of the best places to winter.
Full of life, fabulous climate, airport and above all lots to see on the beautiful island.
Just be careful with choosing the berth. Winter SE storms can be devastating. In the so called “Lidl “ harbour, just a mile further up the coast I have seen waves coming over the sea wall, filling the port area with so much water that a three feet high stream of seawater poured into the docks and then trough the entrance out of the harbour.
Have also seen that the new sea wall of the marina was broken by a storm. Forgot which year, now hopefully stronger.
Even the south side of Mandraki harbour is known to be unsafe during SE winter storms.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We sailed into the new marina from Fethiye in early July and were made most welcome. We were struck by the enormity of the marina which when fully completed will be larger than Kos marina. There were about 20 boats moored within the marina stern to with shiny new lazy lines to secure to. We needed diesel and reception called up a mobile tanker which arrived within 20 minutes. There is a fuel dock but it isn't open just yet. As previously mentioned the posh reception with stunning receptionist will happily arrange a taxi into town - a few minutes - for 7 euros (but only 5 euros when for the return journey from the town taxi rank!). The usual trek from Port Police to Immigration to Custom is a pain and why I should have to pay 30 euros as an EU citizen with an EU registered boat to enter Greece is beyond me. I don't think I will bother next time I visit Rhodes although the marina reception do photocopy your transit log upon arrival.
I think you was done mate :) it 15 euros to enter back into Greece , well that what we paid last year from croatia and this year when we came in from Turkey . you need to go back and ask for a refund , haha

Status
Not open for further replies.