Rhodes New Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Re: Rhodes New Marina: update May 2016

We were there for a week in September as Mandraki was full for a festival.
We did find the marina expensive compared to others considering it was a bit out of town and facilities were limited.
The marinaros were very helpful apart from trying to put us in an impossible tight berth in a big cross wind. I told them I could not get in and they immediately found me somewhere better.
I found one particular girl in the office very short and totally unwelcoming.
We did inquire about the cost of a winter berth but were told that because of the swell there they would not allow liveaboards at this time as it was too dangerous.
At the moment it is a huge concrete monolith but in future it has real potential. I needs a lot of work though.

bobthecook

7 months a year sail Greece, Italy, and Turkey
Visit site
Re: Rhodes New Marina: update May 2016

Rhodes New Marina

I’ve now spent the time from the beginning of October 2016 as a liveaboard in the Rhodes NEW Marina (RNM).

This was the second winter period for the RNM (in reality the first fully operational one), in the first year they had 5 boats over the winter period, this time around there were approx. 35-40 yachts staying for the winter of which 3 were with liveaboards . The marina office staff as well as the mooring / berthing staff are extremely friendly and helpful yet on a steep learning curve which they accomplished very well. I like the marina, its top-class facilities and its location - much prefer it to Mandraki harbour for a prolonged winter stay. The winter weather in Rhodes helps of course, Rhodes consistently being among the warmest place in Greece.

In my view the RNM is a safe place to leave your yacht unattended at any time.

As a current liveaboard at RNM the swell within the harbour however is an issue and makes life quite uncomfortable sometimes: when winds F4+ blow from the N to NE a swell enters the harbours and does need attention with more and longer mooring lines and mooring dampers. That said, in the approx. 155 days I’ve spent here so far “swell days” amounted to maybe 8 - 10 days with each “swell period" lasting approx. 24 - 36 hrs. . Winds from other directions (even storm winds from the South with 50 kts ) are not an issue.

The answer to the swell problem is a northern harbour wall which has already being planned for by Rhodes Marinas S.A. . I have been informed by the marina manager that land based work in the area where the northern harbour wall will jut out into the sea is to start in March 2017. Then in September 2017 work on building the harbour wall itself should be commencing.

Once this has been built and completed in my view the RNM should quickly turn into one of the excellent marinas in the Eastern Med and become a commercially successful operation and a place where you can securely and comfortably stay on your boat and enjoy the island for the winter period.

To clarify, I have no commercial interest in Rhodes Marinas S.A. except as a yachtsman and potential customer.

A very interesting post .Do you have an idea of the costs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.