Returning to lumpy water

oldmonsty

Visit site
I am contemplating buying a lumpy water boat after 30 years away, probably a centre cockpit plodder of some kind. I have posted on several forums for advice and it seems that my choices were pretty sound - Sea Dog, Neptunian, Colvic Atlanta. However having read the forums over the past 6 months or so it seems that the actual act of sailing is nearly impossible to get the hang of. I have some knowledge but I find it impossible to understand the simplest comment on here, is it really that hard or is it that like all activities those in the know seek to keep their knowledge exclusive. I dearly want to get afloat but I will not be patronised by anyone, any thoughts on a way forward?

D

Deleted member 36384

Sailing is not complicated at all. Sure there are plenty of new words and phrases but it is very simple to do.

To get a grip of the terms and methods I would recommend that you read RYA Competent Crew and RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Notes, both available from bookshops, chandlers and the RYA on line shop click here. There are plenty of other books but the above are aimed at the beginner and novice alike.

If you want to teach yourself then at least read the books. Sailing Tuition is available from some yacht clubs, sailing schools (see the RYA web) and of course fellow sailors.

Good luck, its not that hard.

dt4134

Visit site
Find someone who looks competent and get to know them & if they have the right attitude see if they want crew. Try a few skippers as there's rarely an absolute right way of doing anything.

Visit site
However having read the forums over the past 6 months or so it seems that the actual act of sailing is nearly impossible to get the hang of. I have some knowledge but I find it impossible to understand the simplest comment on here, is it really that hard or is it that like all activities those in the know seek to keep their knowledge exclusive. I dearly want to get afloat but I will not be patronised by anyone, any thoughts on a way forward?

Sailing a boat is easy, about as easy as riding a bike. Making a passage under sail is a little bit harder, and doing it all safely is a little bit harder too. But like anything else you learn to do in life, a bit of practice and a bit of experience help you do things better.

Dont be put off by the comments on here. Posters queue up to add their bit to any thread, and quite often its a load of nonsense or simply a restatement of what someone else has already posted. We have to get our word in.

But being so prickly that you are worried about being patronised is not a good start. By your own admition you know very little. Others know more. So just be grateful if they try to help you

NOHOH

Visit site
You sound like a Troll..or a complete menace....

....no disrespect.......So...get yourself a land yacht...and stick to the beach

taz

Visit site
....no disrespect.......So...get yourself a land yacht...and stick to the beach

I don`t understand why you`re being so ar$sey with your comment..... :confused:

OP
I`m in the process of finding a yacht and had no idea of what and how to do things...I still don`t have the hands on experience yet, but by reading and taking in what advice has been given I am getting into the general basics of it.... there`s some experienced people on here that are very helpful...........unlike the previous poster (Thank God)

Last edited:

NOHOH

Visit site
I think you`ve just blown your cover...

Old Monsty and Taz are obviously one and the same person......

Please stop wasting our time and goodwill...whoever you really are

taz

Visit site
Old Monsty and Taz are obviously one and the same person......

Please stop wasting our time and goodwill...whoever you really are

"Our time" so you`re speaking for other members then?

Goodwill..............that seems a contradiction to your post`s content.:rolleyes:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
OP,
The boats you are considering are well able to be motored around. You can try the sailing in a bit of open space later. But any boating is easy until something goes wrong.

You NEED to understand tides, bouys, charts & basic collision regulations at the very least. Not hard, but takes a bit of practise. As others have said have a look at the RYA Day Skipper syllabus, you should be able to understand all of that.

oldmonsty

Visit site
Thanks for the 'compliment' - I have been called many thing in my life but this is the first time that I have been called a troll, whatever that may be. I do have some experience but it was 30 years ago on a Moody 41 and having decided to return I have been reading extensively for the last year. I am not a very sociable person, hence my name on here, and I also don't like most boating types. esp. yachties so wandering up and asking for a ride is not on nor is joining any club, especially one that would have me as a member. I would dearly love to return to some coastal cruising but it is going the way of all things - massively complex (linking instruments by wireless!!!!! etc.) and massively expensive (£12000 for a 30' mooring). I have apparently chosen my potential boats well, according to the pbo forum and notw all I need is some help to get afloat. Boating is extremely dangerous and to go lumbering into the sea with out advice keeps the RNLI going, I shall not be one of those.

deep denial

Visit site
Bosun Higgs;2 But being so prickly that you are worried about being patronised is not a good start. By your own admition you know very little. Others know more. So just be grateful if they try to help you[/QUOTE said:
Hear hear. And now you say you don't like yachties!!
Why don't you just bu***r off!

AliM

Visit site
Where are you?

You preconception of £12000 for a mooring and not liking yotties might change if you went to look at wherever you might keep a boat (unless you are aiming for one of the poshest yachtclubs). Whatever you do, trying out a few boats before you buy, finding somewhere to keep it, getting some basic knowledge and getting some experience sailing, are going to be necessary. All of those require you to talk to yotties - try it, you might actually like them!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I also don't like most boating types. esp. yachties so wandering up and asking for a ride is not on nor is joining any club, especially one that would have me as a member.

But, as in all walks of life, there are yotties and there are yotties (or perhaps that's yachties). If by yachtie you mean the type who is interested in belonging to the "right" Club and wearing the Club tie and burgee at all times (except after the sun has gone down over the yardarm and there's an R in the month etc) then I would agree that those are not my preferred type either. But it takes all sorts and we all have our foibles!

However, I would say that most of the contributors on this forum simply love the freedom of sailing with wind - it's that simple! :)

Richard

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
TBH I don't care if you are a Troll or not, the advice below will be useful to someone & I am happy to give it freely.

There is no need to spend gazillions on a boat, equipment, mooring or instruments. Many of use sail old boats, small boats & old small boats with little or no instrumentation.

My advice would be to buy a small daysailor or cruiser that can take the ground on a cheap mooring somewhere close to where you live. Spend no more than 5k max for a really nice one & sail it every chance you get for a season or two. At the end of that time you will be sailing her on/off her mooring & have bags of confidence & you will know your local waters like the back of your hand.

Then you can sell her for maybe what you paid for her (or a K or two less depending on her condition) & buy the yacht of your dreams, confident that you can manage it effectively & that she is the right one for you.

Buy Dylan Winter's KTL DVD's or a subscription to his site for a dozen lessons in how to do "minimalist sailing" & to understand how richly it will reward you spritually. Oh & read "Ming Ming" by Rodger Taylor too.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Wot Searush said

Sophie, my first boat cost £1700, mooring was £120 per year. Current boat cost £4200, pontoon berth costs £50 per month. Boating is as cheap or expensive as you wish.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
I would dearly love to return to some coastal cruising but it is going the way of all things - massively complex (linking instruments by wireless!!!!! etc.)
Only if that's the way you want to do it. The coast hasn't changed a whole lot since you last sailed. If you could sail and look after a 40ft yacht surely you still can.
Anyway modern stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be.