Red Sea Passage Plan: Which authorities do I contact?

demonboy

www.youtube.com
I'm putting together a list of contact details for any maritime authority we should contact as we make our way down the Red Sea and into the Indian Ocean. EG Calling Falmouth Coastguard from satphone with a daily position, using SSB to contact British Navy, radioing Yemen coastguard (these are just examples off the top of my head). We are already aware of the UKMTO and the MSCHOA.

Anyone out there have any further suggestions/recommendations and, even better, some actual contact details?

Thank you.

dolphin

Visit site
this issue was discussed back in january, please check !

but i strongly recommend again, do not make this passage as the piracy activity in the area after red sea is very active!
in case you decide to make the trip, please contact me about 10-15 days before entering the the gulf of aden and i will update you with the last information available ! otherwise your datas are ok

best regards and fair winds

http://www.neatcss.com/

demonboy

www.youtube.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're starting to sound like me! Hands up, I didn't do a search before posting /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thank you for your offer, but who are you? You have no information on your profile, which always makes me suspicious. For all I know you could be working for the SPN! What information are you offering over and above what we can glean from the above-mentioned authorities? All I can guess is that you are Bulgarian web-designer living in Greece.

H

highandry

Perhaps he's Ali Ben Tabnab and he wants your ETA for a position off Berbera... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dolphin

Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just trying to help and warn you, for how dangerous the situation is ! but i see, this is not of interest for you - nothing wrong!
nothing can be given by force, only can be taken !
what does matter, who i am and if have a profile or not - both can be compeltely wrong and misleading !
one last warning - once in the hand of the pirates, no one authority can help you, only assist, in negociations for releasing you !
good luck !

http://www.neatcss.com/

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're starting to sound like me! Hands up, I didn't do a search before posting /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thank you for your offer, but who are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You started the thread in January, and dolphin gave you one of the best bits of info in the thread, (IMHO). From his posts to date, he doesnt sound like either a wind up merchant or a pirate - just trying to be helpful with English as a second language, (probably?).

Richard10002

Visit site
BTW

I'm big into scuba diving and I think it would be shame if you didnt spend some time in one of the best diving areas in the world, (a couple of years would be good! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Either learn to dive, if you dont already, and see some of the greatest wonders of the world... it truly is amazing!!

After a bit of time in the Red Sea, the piracy situation may have quietened down a bit - there seems to be some pressure on governments to do something, and you might find you are monitored by one or other of the worlds navys during your passage.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Correction: I started a thread on piracy, NOT on which authorities to contact. I didn't wish to offend dolphin but I do want to know where he/she is getting their information from.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm actually looking for advice on which authorities to contact and how to do that, not on whether we should be doing it in the first place. Can anyone help?

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Sorry, I replied to this thread before seeing all these other posts. My email reminder thingy is obviously very slow.

I appreciate the comments on what I should and shouldn't be doing but how long we spend in places or when we actually go through the pirate-infested waters, if ever, is yet to be decided. That's not what I wanted to discuss here. As you have already stated that was discussed in an earlier thread.

I just wanted this thread to be a way of getting some information on suggested authorities we should be contacting and perhaps their contact details.

Can anyone else out there help?

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
I've just read the post before yours entitled One Month Mooring for $150. In that post there is a link to the Turkey to India rally (via Red Sea). Could be worth contacting the rally organisor. As this will be their 4th rally I would imagine they would have contacts etc.

If it works let me know as we have long term plans to go that route but not at the time the rally goes.

A

Anonymous

If you are a Brit with a British Registered vessel, you might contact the FCO and the British Embassies in those countries that border your route. You'll want the contact details anyway in case you have to put into a port and need FCO assistance.

You could also look into the Seven Seas Cruising Association www.ssca.org and the Cruising Association www.cruising.org.uk

It isn't on our agenda but we've had long discussions about the Red Sea with friends. Apparently the US Navy used to keep a close watch on all yachts and it was quite safe. Then, about a year ago, they withdrew the service? I don't have any official source for that but I was told by two individual cruisers who are doing circumnavigations that this is the case.

I can give you a link to a inexpensive DIY will-making package /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

whipper_snapper

Visit site
I can't answer your questions, but would love an update if you learn more. I have SSB and sail in the Indian Ocean, and sometimes hearing international warships on the VHF. But I have no idea how to contact them in an emergency if they are out of VHF range, which of course they are 99% of the time.

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have SSB and sail in the Indian Ocean, and sometimes hearing international warships on the VHF. But I have no idea how to contact them in an emergency if they are out of VHF range, which of course they are 99% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that if you are hearing them, they will have something top secret on board, or in the air, that means the will be able to hear you.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
We are thinking of heading down that way ina year or two, a long way off but any info as to who we may be able to contact on the wat down is helpfull.

I thought about having a telephone watch with Falmouth CG, say every 4-6 hours/pre-determined times to check in. How feasable is it to contact a naval vessel on the SSB/VHF/Iridium and set up a similar system with them.

Looking at the way things are going down there, then little yachts are the target - not enough money compared with a tanker or cruise ship. Last bit of infoe I had was to stay close to Yemman coast until 250/400 miles from Somalia.

I believe there is a link on noonsite for people who try the convoy option. Please keep all posted (or Pm me) with any info you get, I think there are few 'mad' people who want to risk life and limb by heading that way.