Red Ensign Broker

lustyd

Visit site
Could be as simple as requesting photos on a brokerage site that consolidates boats for sale. I know Boatshed asks for email when you request photos and then the broker sees it and can choose to email.
This is a genuine legitimate interest use-case since you “requested more info” through the site.
The idea that companies can somehow hide behind legitimate interest and do what they like is wrong though, legitimate interests are very well defined and companies have received eye watering fines under GDPR for misrepresenting this.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Could be as simple as requesting photos on a brokerage site that consolidates boats for sale. I know Boatshed asks for email when you request photos and then the broker sees it and can choose to email.
This is a genuine legitimate interest use-case since you “requested more info” through the site.
The idea that companies can somehow hide behind legitimate interest and do what they like is wrong though, legitimate interests are very well defined and companies have received eye watering fines under GDPR for misrepresenting this.
I get alerts from Yachtworld, Apolloduck and Sunsail but, apart from Sunsail, I haven't requested details from any of them for a considerable time. Getting an email from Red Ensign is not a big deal for me as they appear to be a reputable outfit. I'm more curious, than anything else, about where they got my email.

jdc

Visit site
+1 for Red Ensign being totally legit. I can bring it up with them if the OP wants as I know the guys personally, and I'd eat my hat if they get involved in any dodgy stuff.

Irish Rover

Visit site
+1 for Red Ensign being totally legit. I can bring it up with them if the OP wants as I know the guys personally, and I'd eat my hat if they get involved in any dodgy stuff.
Thanks. As I said earlier I've emailed them to ask and I'm happy to wait and see if they answer me. Seems your hat is safe, for now.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I dont think your email address is really personal data. Any google search around yachting could well pick it up and indeed I have found misplaced aquaintances that way. Its no more personal than your address which may be on electoral rolls, in phone books or their online equivalent etc

Irish Rover

Visit site
I dont think your email address is really personal data. Any google search around yachting could well pick it up and indeed I have found misplaced aquaintances that way. Its no more personal than your address which may be on electoral rolls, in phone books or their online equivalent etc
Your opinion is hardly relevant, though. What does the law say?

servus

Visit site
Jolly good sunday gents,

my English is not good enough to really grasp the essence of this fred .... please help me in kind words to understand.

Or:

Is somebody complaining that there are people around who do illegal things ....
Is somebody wondering whether the so called "laws" do protect us against "cyber criminality" ....
Do we really wonder whether "data security" can be granted ....
Do we all hope, that somebody out there will protect us from evil .....

Or is it just as I read it, that somebody got an unwanted advert?

My oh my ... I want to have MY worries....

Lazy sunday afternoon to all , G.

simonck

Visit site
I dealt with Red Ensign about a year ago, they were the brokers on a yacht I'd signed the papers on and paid deposit. At the very last second the pratt of a seller changed his mind. Red Ensign had the integrity and honour to refund me in full for any deposit lost through currency exchange.
Like others on here they get a thumbs up from me.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Jolly good sunday gents,

my English is not good enough to really grasp the essence of this fred .... please help me in kind words to understand.

Or:

Is somebody complaining that there are people around who do illegal things ....
Is somebody wondering whether the so called "laws" do protect us against "cyber criminality" ....
Do we really wonder whether "data security" can be granted ....
Do we all hope, that somebody out there will protect us from evil .....

Or is it just as I read it, that somebody got an unwanted advert?

My oh my ... I want to have MY worries....

Lazy sunday afternoon to all , G.
Keep taking the tablets, and hopefully you'll be OK.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I dealt with Red Ensign about a year ago, they were the brokers on a yacht I'd signed the papers on and paid deposit. At the very last second the pratt of a seller changed his mind. Red Ensign had the integrity and honour to refund me in full for any deposit lost through currency exchange.
Like others on here they get a thumbs up from me.
Based on all the glowing endorsements I have every confidence they'll answer my email and satisfy my idle curiosity.

srm

Visit site
Interesting: EU has a fairly strong legal framework for data protection and before Brexit the UK was party to that framework. Hence web sites giving a cookie box and options to reject all except essential. Since Brexit I have noticed some UK websites only giving notice that they use cookies. If you try to opt out you may get a note saying "use your browser settings".
Just a thought. Does the email user's location at the time of use, or the location when they signed up to an email provider govern the legal status of the account? My email addresses were set up in the UK but get used in other countries.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Not protected in usa or many states. Held by some to be protected in uk, not i think defined to that detail in law.

Anyway the Rover is wasting his angst because nothing will be done as life and the law have better things to worry about
Dear oh dear. YBW strikes again. Molehills become mountains. The curiosity I expressed in the OP now interpreted as angst - a feeling of great worry about a situation, or about your life :sleep:.

lustyd

Visit site
Not protected in usa or many states. Held by some to be protected in uk, not i think defined to that detail in law.

Anyway the Rover is wasting his angst because nothing will be done as life and the law have better things to worry about
Also wrong. The GDPR and derivatives protect everyone in the states where its law as well as the citizens of those states wherever they may be including the US.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Part of the deal with Microsoft outlook is that one accepts advertising emails unless one pays Microsoft to prevent it. We already know that Google etc use algorithms to track what internet users are searching for . This lets them select adverts that are more akin to the target audience .It could be that if you are using Outlook etc your email address is automatically in the public domain . It could further be that your viewing history is being tracked
Are you getting a lot of interest from gays & transvestites lately?🤪