Red Diesel harmful for my particulate filter?

boxbit

Visit site
Hi guys,
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. Im new here and i just wanted to ask a few questions about my car (range rover diesel) As I use it only for farm useage, I am led to believe that using the red diesel will damage my diesel particulate filter. Can anyone confirm this or is this a myth, also is the Red stuff much much higher in sulpher levels?

Basically what i want to know is will the red render my particulate filter useless and/or result in engine damage or can i safely use red for extended periods of time with little or no effect on the car. And what is the real difference in sulphur levels between ULSD and red?

PS the filter can be expensive to change/maintain so thats why im asking.

Thank you all for the help i know its not boat stuff but hopefully someone can help me!! Thanks again peeps!:cool::cool:

rafiki_

Visit site
If you are only using your Rangie off highway, why would damage to the DPF be a problem? Interms of the fuel quality, this varies. In my opinion, the red stuff is usually lower quality than white, with higher sulphur levels, not suitable to modern common rail road engines. I have heard that some red is white dyed, but you would need to check with your supplier.

Refueler

Visit site
Red a while ago conformed to max 0.2% sulphur, but was reduced to 0.1% max. It's specification is lower in overall quality, that is in moisture content, sulphur level, cetane number / index and particulates just as examples.

ULSD (Road diesel as some of you call it ...) is 10ppm Sulphur with higher specs on Cetane etc.

There is no reason why your RR shouldn't run on Red ... and you shouldn't have to change filters more often than normal - as normally a filter will not be anywhere near clogged at service interval.

I can say that I have no trouble running filters on my Perkins boat engine for couple of years on cr*p diesel that I blend for personal use ... average particulate in my 'home blend' is 10x Red upper max limit !

I would not use Red in high performance engine though - doubt it would do harm, but would expect any inspection of the engine in event of failure to show the use of lower quality fuel....

For peeps interest - plan is that lower quality Red will be phased out and basically a single grade diesel be offered to retail / non industrial buyers. The other planned phase is the reduction of Sulphur to near zero as well ... so TBH - all the worries today are nothing compared to whats coming ... :D

boxbit

Visit site
If you are only using your Rangie off highway, why would damage to the DPF be a problem? Interms of the fuel quality, this varies. In my opinion, the red stuff is usually lower quality than white, with higher sulphur levels, not suitable to modern common rail road engines. I have heard that some red is white dyed, but you would need to check with your supplier.

Resale my good man.

TrueBlue

Visit site
As with all simple questions

The devil is in the detail.
How old is your rangie? If you're talking about a particulate filter, I'm assuming it's one of the newer models - the "BMW" variety, in which case I have no knowledge.

If it's a traditional one (pre common rail) then clean Red shouldn't be a problem, 'cos the 2.5 was pretty solid.

I make the comment on the basis is that Volvo won't sell their diesel cars in the US because their (US) fuel is "not up to it", common rail technology that is.

Given that, some Red over here is just marked road fuel. I'm informed that UK refineries only make and supply ULSD now, but your supplier - especially if he has agricultural users may actually import MGO as it's cheaper.

Not a definitive answer, but you can see how things get clouded...

Refueler

Visit site
Given that, some Red over here is just marked road fuel. I'm informed that UK refineries only make and supply ULSD now, but your supplier - especially if he has agricultural users may actually import MGO as it's cheaper.

MGO ? Are you serious or just got the term mixed up with BS Industrial ? MGO is a much heavier lower quality fuel than any red you may have seen. It's for ships use ...