Recovering from falling overboard when single handed

jlavery

Visit site
Good luck doing that in foulies, wellies and a life jacket, with cold waves - I'm a reasonably fit 51 and there's no way I could. Better to lie back, relax, and radio for help - you might get lucky.

Even better to do everything to stay aboard.
Almost completely unrealistic conditions. Buoyancy aid (???), t-shirt and flat seas.

As others have said, add foul weather gear and an inflated lifejacket - no way.

Either don't go overboard (jackstays far enough from sides to keep you on board etc.) or don't clip on and rely on lifejacket and PLB for eventual rescue.

But that's another discussion. (I'm grabbing my popcorn and settling down to watch this thread). 😀

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a telescopic ladder fitted midship such that it can be lowered from the water.

The issue is getting to it if the boat is sailing.

I do have a MOB crew saver that I plan to connect to steering to turn the boat head to wind and stop

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Did Sir RKJ not throw himself off the boat on is RTW (mid ocean, so satisfying Sandy's 2m waves scenario) and grab a knotted rope to pull himself back onboard, just to see if he could do it? I am sure I read this in one of his books, if true it obviously it worked a lot better than the crap shown on the YouTube video.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Did Sir RKJ not throw himself off the boat on is RTW (mid ocean, so satisfying Sandy's 2m waves scenario) and grab a knotted rope to pull himself back onboard, just to see if he could do it? I am sure I read this in one of his books, if true it obviously it worked a lot better than the crap shown on the YouTube video.

I have a pal who does this on a nice summers day as we ghost along at two knots.

I do get rather annoyed at all the safety companies demonstrating their kit in a smooth sea with a F2 over the deck. While photography and filming is easy in those conditions it give you no real idea how easy it is to use the kit on a dark and stormy night.

Mark-1

Visit site

I've certainly read that in a RTW sailing memoir and I've read a couple of RKJ's accounts so I'd say yes, unless someone else did it. (And it was the first thing I thought of when I opened the thread.) I'm certain I've read more than one of those adventurers back in the day towed a long line just in case as well.

I suspect there are combinations of days/boats/people where getting yourself back on is a doddle and others where it's impossible. I regularly tow my 8yo son behind our Corribee on a fender on a long line. We don't have a ladder so I help drag him back on without stopping but I'm pretty sure if his life depended on it he'd be able to recover himself. The freeboard is low so he could reach a jib sheet to cobble something together and there's lots of scope for climbing up the outboard and bracket.

I'm reminded of "Flaming's Rule" that a MOB is more likely to be a symptom than an event in itself. So I guess it also depends on why you fell off. If it was a heart attack, I guess you're going to die or perhaps are already dead. If it was running hard aground you might simply be able to stand up to climb back on board. Lots of situations in between.

Also I'm convinced we're less careful in benign conditions so MOBS are far more likely. The real MOBs I've been involved in (5 IIRC) were either not underway or in completely benign conditions and didn't always require a complete stop the boat. So we might find single handed MOBs in rough sea are vanishingly rare. I was single handed on a choppy sea quire recently and when I had to creep to the bow to untangle something I was clinging like a barnacle, you would have needed a crow bar to prise me me off.

I hope I never find out but I wonder if 2m waves might actually help get back on board??? Equally might help crack your head open but at that point your options aren't great anyway.

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
When I was designing my current boat, I made the stanchions extra high to try to prevent any one if falling against the handrails would not be tipped over due to low Hight.

The stanchions are 38 mm Dia tube not the normal 25 mm and the top rail is also 38mm Dia tube with a lower stainless tensioned wire

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I work on principle that falling unclipped on overboard = dead

Falling off clipped on if moving = probably dead

Falling of clipped on but stationary = possibly dead (I followed an MOB Mayday on ch16 and helicopter only just got there in time)

DownWest

Visit site
Registration requirements for amateur built boats in France require a means of getting aboard from the water. Mine is a folding ladder on the transom, with two steps under water. But, don't go over, as getting back to the boat is virtually impossible in oilies and LJ if there is any wind. Been there and had a very long swim.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Registration requirements for amateur built boats in France require a means of getting aboard from the water. Mine is a folding ladder on the transom, with two steps under water. But, don't go over, as getting back to the boat is virtually impossible in oilies and LJ if there is any wind. Been there and had a very long swim.

Indeed. My boat has a sort of rope ladder arrangement one can pull out from the transom. No use if one went overboard when underway, but could be a life saver in harbour.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The Chairman of a Yachting Association fell through the deck netting on his trimaran and and though tied on was dragged behind at 5kts. He unclipped himself free and swam 1km to shore, and despite giving an award at our rally that evening he stopped sailing. Very lucky to live as lucky to unclip the back eddy not the main current and clearly traumatic

Mark-1

Visit site
The Chairman of a Yachting Association fell through the deck netting on his trimaran and and though tied on was dragged behind at 5kts. He unclipped himself free and swam 1km to shore, and despite giving an award at our rally that evening he stopped sailing. Very lucky to live as lucky to unclip the back eddy not the main current and clearly traumatic

Where did the boat end up?