Rear view mirror on a boat

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Yes - two - the blind spot is where the crew who smoke tend to congregate ……..
and on the EU Great Rivers - invaluable to spot the big boys overtaking.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Not a rear view mirror but a rear view camera. One day it will be a 360 job like I have on my car but I have spent far too much over the past month or so

Last edited:

The Q

Visit site
Cameras are Common on privately owned broads "bathtubs" though this hire one doesn't have them. It may have a camera. ( Bathtub... Forward controlled single deck motorboat with no real reward vision)

1719731749150.png
I tried them on my mini keelboat, as I sit facing forwards in a chair.
However I found because I'm leaning one way or another the sightline was not often right.
With no motor of course I can normally hear anything approaching, and look to 90 degrees.

Time to go sailing, we have a down river race to a pub, have lunch and then race back.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
It usually happens when motoring or motor sailing in a channel with light traffic and hearing is often reduced .

You could of course have a large transom bumper sticker saying something like "Warning ! aged singlehander" . It would also shift some of the responsibility.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Not a rear view mirror but a rear view camera. One day it will be a 360 job like I have on my car but I have spent far too much over the past month or so
I also have a rear view camera....and dreamed of a 360 cameras....but was pooh-poohed by other panelists when I suggested it on the forum. Well done, do a thread on it if you do👍👍👍

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
It usually happens when motoring or motor sailing in a channel with light traffic and hearing is often reduced .

You could of course have a large transom bumper sticker saying something like "Warning ! aged singlehander" . It would also shift some of the responsibility.
Can you point us at the COLREG for this?

Gustywinds

Visit site
I also have a rear view camera....and dreamed of a 360 cameras....but was pooh-poohed by other panelists when I suggested it on the forum. Well done, do a thread on it if you do👍👍👍
Garmin do an official one for boats but only new builds. There are a number of Android head units for cars that have then and I also found a company that does them for large commercial vehicles. The trick is in calibrating the positions of the cameras. I think it would b be very useful when solo boating but I’ll wait and see. We start The Grand Adventure tomorrow!

Stemar

Visit site

Can you point us at the COLREG for this?
Maybe one of these might be better

iu

D Flag - Keep clear of me, I am manoeuvring with difficulty

The Q

Visit site
I sail in the tight confines of the Norfolk broads, I could fly that flag permanently, trouble is all the tourists causing the problem would have no clue what it means.

johnalison

Visit site
I live in the hope that anyone behind will keep clear. It doesn’t always work but hey-ho, that’s not my problem, VLCCs excepted.