Raymarine Tiller Pilot connectors

pvb

Visit site
It's a unique Raymarine part. You can buy them, but it would be cheaper to replace with another waterproof plug/socket.

TSB240

Visit site
They are made by Bulgin and RS components sell them.
This is a 3 pole version
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-automation-circular-connectors/0489396/

I would recommend that if you do not use the nmea facility to replace with a larger 3 pin version which will be more reliable than the one offered by Raymarine.

I have found it is best to replace both the male plug and the female socket. Nb they have inserts so they are interchangeable with the original Raymarine offering so you only have to slacken off the locking rings pull out the inserts disconnect the wires reconnect to inserts and replace.

They offer a 6 pole version in female and male variety which is a direct replacement.

pin 1 positive 12v brown
pin 2 negative 0v Blue
pin 3 not connected
pin 4 sea talk data Yellow
pin 5 NMEA- Green
pin 6 NMEA + White

For Info

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
This is a 3 pole version
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-automation-circular-connectors/0489396/

Well, that's intriguing. The OP said he had an ST2000, and I always thought they had an oval 3-pin plug and socket, like this...

281345580575_1.jpg

prv

Visit site
Well, that's intriguing. The OP said he had an ST2000, and I always thought they had an oval 3-pin plug and socket, like this...

281345580575_1.jpg

That's the old Raymarine tillerpilot socket, which I think is proprietary. But the newer ones come with a 6-pin Bulgin plug and socket to allow for the additional data connections as well as power.

(I took it off and reused it for a plotter connection on Kindred Spirit, using the previous owner's Driplug socket for the tillerpilot as I didn't need any data connections.)

Pete

muffinship

Visit site
This is a 3 pole version

I would recommend that if you do not use the nmea facility to replace with a larger 3 pin version which will be more reliable than the one offered by Raymarine.

I have found it is best to replace both the male plug and the female socket. Nb they have inserts so they are interchangeable with the original Raymarine offering so you only have to slacken off the locking rings pull out the inserts disconnect the wires reconnect to inserts and replace.

They offer a 6 pole version in female and male variety which is a direct replacement.

pin 1 positive 12v brown
pin 2 negative 0v Blue
pin 3 not connected
pin 4 sea talk data Yellow
pin 5 NMEA- Green
pin 6 NMEA + White

For Info

Hey there,
This is great info, thank you! Just wondering how you know which pin corresponds to which wire (ie. which pin is #1, 2, 3, etc...)? The wire that goes into the male end of my connector pulled out and now I have to rewire it. Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kait

TSB240

Visit site
Hey there,
This is great info, thank you! Just wondering how you know which pin corresponds to which wire (ie. which pin is #1, 2, 3, etc...)? The wire that goes into the male end of my connector pulled out and now I have to rewire it. Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kait

The standard Bulgin connectors have extremely small numbers moulded into the plastic pin holder and adjacent to the appropriate pins.

I have now replace both the socket on the cockpit side and the plug with 4 pin Bulgin versions from RS. I only require 4 pins as I connect the tiller pilot to my Chartplotter via nmea to use the track and track to wind facility.
If you never intend to do this and just want to use the Autopilot manually you only need connect the power positive 12V and negative 0V using a two pin connector.

If you want to save time you do not need to replace the complete assemblies as both the pin and socket inserts unscrew out of their respective holders . Use the sealing cover turned around to unlock the threaded retaining ring.

I would advise to replace both male and female connectors at the same time.

IMHO the 6 pin standard connector is marginal for performance to reliably carry the required operating current. Any corrosion or poor connection will cause significant problems in use.

Steve

Last edited: