Rafting.

Allan

Visit site
I've recently seen two yachts rafted on a pontoon. The outside one was a little larger than the inner one. While the inner one had shore lines and springs, the outer only had shorelines ie. no connection to the inner boat. I've never seen this before and always have lines to the inner boat and shorelines.
Have I been doing something wrong in the past?
Allan

johnalison

Visit site
Except for a short stop this is quite unsatisfactory. Even in quiet harbours the two boats will be moving fore & aft against each other, making the fenders work and potentially causing abrasion. We always insist on springs from each end of the boat that cross, allowing the two boats to settle with minimum movement. Shore lines are ideal but not always necessary, but if used the breast lines can be slack, since they are the shortest and most likely to cause jerking. Springs from a centre cleat create a pivot point and cause the outer boat to swing back and forth jerking the breast lines. The inner boat has the last say in mooring arrangements, and good manners implies the need for the outer boat to ensure that the inner boat is satisfied, a policy that I adhere to whether I am inner or outer.