Race Leg 1

sarabande

Visit site
any thoughts on going close to Africa right down and then heading west across to Brazil ?

Last edited:

Pye_End

Visit site
Was doing a bit of planning, but then my 9 year old son started looking at it - his suggestion was to take the shortcut through Suez, but then got sidetracked and was looking to see if he could zoom in enough in Aeroskobing to look for the knife he dropped there last year.

Presumably you are Sara?

sarabande

Visit site
sounds right enough.

22:09 I am putting a tack to the north, chaps, for about an hour. Based on the mark being on the nose more or less, I'd rather gain some distance to windward now in a half decent breeze, than have to claw upwind near Gib in 8ish knots in 16 hours time.

Anyone concur ?

Pye_End

Visit site
We shall see whether it is a brave move or an inspired one! According to the forecast the wind should back later on, but maybe after a tack is needed. Then again, the previous forecast showed that the main pack might be left in slightly lower wind speed, and that never happened. Lost 1.5nm on you as a result. Just like life this game, but cheaper and more comfortable! Definately addictive.

Have you worked out what the best heading to windward is yet?

Dipper

Visit site
Anyone else having trouble with the site? I've had a lot of problems this evening with missing land and stationary boats. Now Firefox and Windows XP not working but IE OK. On the laptop Firefox and Windows 7 seems OK.

I'm currently 5th. I hope that's right. :D

Pye_End

Visit site
Been running firefox and XP on netbook and pc ok. Had blue screen of death at one point but think it was another program causing it.

I had noticed where you are! So what are the chances of being on the top spot by morning? I have put in a couple of course changes, but am fully expecting to be noe to land when I get up!

Dipper

Visit site
I've entered a couple of delayed commands so I'll probably run aground overnight. Off to bed now with fingers crossed.

Dipper

Visit site
Well that didn't go too well for me either but not as bad as you. I'm now 335th. I tried bearing away a little on the starboard tack to maximise my VMG to Gibraltar but I should have stayed as close hauled as possible.

Wow! Four Ybws in the top 30 and two in the top 10.

Last edited:

Pye_End

Visit site
I was right next to Alastair last night before passing on the watch. He tacked north and I didn't, so it seems as though Sara's plan worked. My current plan therefore is to turn on the engine and follow him.

Mind you, we are not past the rock yet, and it will be interesting how the positions are at this point.