Questions i can't find answers to on the internet,Please help

oldgit

Visit site
Used boat shows tend to be a bit hit and miss. Often they are just brokers showing the same stock they had last week, and will have next week. Just go around a few brokers and have a good poke around. You don't need to wait for a boat show. Just say you would like to look on a few different boats to get a feel for what they offer and I'm sure you will get a green light. Thames brokers seem to be good for this and of course there are loads in close proximity. A day tour taking in TBS at Penton, TBS at Bray, Tingdene at Reading, Racecourse at Windsor, Val Wyatt at Wargrave and probably others that IO have forgotten and you will see quite an array of boats. Don't worry about them being inland, many of these boats will be the same that you see in coastal marinas.

+1.
A good day out spent visiting the Thames Marinas can be very rewarding.
The brokerages are all in close proximity to each other and normally have a large collection of all types of boat listed.
Many coastal craft end up on the non tidal Thames when their owners search for more tranquil boating.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
We're having a forum gathering at East Cowes marina this weekend. Maybe get a foot passenger day return? Its a 15 minute walk from the Red Funnel terminal

If i can find someone to come with me , at this short notice i will, it will be a bit daunting otherwise, walking in on a ton of people i dont know.....Talk about a fish out of water lol!

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Another option is to list:

How much you want to spend
How many people you want to accommodate during the day/overnight
Where you will keep it
How far you are thinking of going (ie just around local area or across open water to foreign climes)
Whether you have any preconceived ideas about boat style (eg a particular model you are drawn to)

and then let us make suggestions. You won't get a unanimous decision by a long way, in fact you may not even get two suggestions that agree, but you will get a shortlist of suitable boats to start looking at. You can then come back ad say things like "I liked X, but it was too small" or I liked Y but it felt too old" and we can home in on alternatives.[/QUOTE

Great Idea, here are my answers and if anyone can suggest anything , that would be fantastic.

1. I will go upto 90,000.....GBP.......(budget has increased a hell of a lot since i started)
2. 4 overnight is fine, maybe 6 in the day.
3. Will be kept in a marina, from what you guys have said, that might end up being Portsmouth, to give me access to the Solent etc.
4.No interest of going to foreign climates, i can do that already in my motorhome.I envisage myself and freinds, tootling along the UK Coastline.Even though i would spend more on a boat, what would spoil it for me is if it drank fuel, to me thats just a complete waste of money, its really important that the boat is as economical on fuel that it can be, so diesel as opposed to petrol.
5.I want a motorcruiser, with open space, I do not like the Merry Fisher type of boat. What appeals to me is the Sealine Range, i do also like Nick Burnhams boats the Jeanneau 805 Leader, and his video of it had done a fantastic job of convincing me its a good boat! But there arent many for sale.If anyone knows which model superceded that one, please let me know. Thanks everyone for your time and effort.......

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
+1.
A good day out spent visiting the Thames Marinas can be very rewarding.
The brokerages are all in close proximity to each other and normally have a large collection of all types of boat listed.
Many coastal craft end up on the non tidal Thames when their owners search for more tranquil boating.

Thats a great idea, i will do that one.....

CLB

Visit site
Another option is to list:

How much you want to spend
How many people you want to accommodate during the day/overnight
Where you will keep it
How far you are thinking of going (ie just around local area or across open water to foreign climes)
Whether you have any preconceived ideas about boat style (eg a particular model you are drawn to)

and then let us make suggestions. You won't get a unanimous decision by a long way, in fact you may not even get two suggestions that agree, but you will get a shortlist of suitable boats to start looking at. You can then come back ad say things like "I liked X, but it was too small" or I liked Y but it felt too old" and we can home in on alternatives.[/QUOTE

Great Idea, here are my answers and if anyone can suggest anything , that would be fantastic.

1. I will go upto 90,000.....GBP.......(budget has increased a hell of a lot since i started)
2. 4 overnight is fine, maybe 6 in the day.
3. Will be kept in a marina, from what you guys have said, that might end up being Portsmouth, to give me access to the Solent etc.
4.No interest of going to foreign climates, i can do that already in my motorhome.I envisage myself and freinds, tootling along the UK Coastline.Even though i would spend more on a boat, what would spoil it for me is if it drank fuel, to me thats just a complete waste of money, its really important that the boat is as economical on fuel that it can be, so diesel as opposed to petrol.
5.I want a motorcruiser, with open space, I do not like the Merry Fisher type of boat. What appeals to me is the Sealine Range, i do also like Nick Burnhams boats the Jeanneau 805 Leader, and his video of it had done a fantastic job of convincing me its a good boat! But there arent many for sale.If anyone knows which model superceded that one, please let me know. Thanks everyone for your time and effort.......

Four on board overnight really requires two cabins, so typically you are looking at boats in the 35ft area. 30 footers, tend to have one cabin and a convertible saloon. This makes it a bit cosy for four overnight guests. Economical means diesel, as you have already said. Single engine would be best, but at this size is quite rare. Stern drives give better economy than shaft drive, but have additional serving costs, so it's a close call. Ultimately, at this size you are going to be getting just over 1mpg with a twin shaft drive boat and somewhere near 2mpg for a twin stern drive boat. You like Sealines so I am going to start with a couple of suggestions that fit the bill and come in on budget. The Sealine S34, if you like open Sporty boats, or the F36 if you fancy a flybridge. You could swap the S34 for a Fairline targa 34 if you prefer Fairline to Sealine. If you bought any of these three, you would not be dissapointed. Personally I think they are among the best in their class and price bracket.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Four on board overnight really requires two cabins, so typically you are looking at boats in the 35ft area. 30 footers, tend to have one cabin and a convertible saloon. This makes it a bit cosy for four overnight guests. Economical means diesel, as you have already said. Single engine would be best, but at this size is quite rare. Stern drives give better economy than shaft drive, but have additional serving costs, so it's a close call. Ultimately, at this size you are going to be getting just over 1mpg with a twin shaft drive boat and somewhere near 2mpg for a twin stern drive boat. You like Sealines so I am going to start with a couple of suggestions that fit the bill and come in on budget. The Sealine S34, if you like open Sporty boats, or the F36 if you fancy a flybridge. You could swap the S34 for a Fairline targa 34 if you prefer Fairline to Sealine. If you bought any of these three, you would not be dissapointed. Personally I think they are among the best in their class and price bracket.

Thankyou , im on it!

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Thankyou , im on it!
I should say that if I dont have a boat i can handle on my own, im going to be very limited to the times i can go out. That fairline looks to me like a boat that would be impossible to have just one person on it, it does seem very big to me to be honest......IM not bothered if the second bedroom is made up with cushions from the deck or somehting , the guests will only be sleeping on it for a night or so.

CLB

Visit site
I should say that if I dont have a boat i can handle on my own, im going to be very limited to the times i can go out. That fairline looks to me like a boat that would be impossible to have just one person on it, it does seem very big to me to be honest......IM not bothered if the second bedroom is made up with cushions from the deck or somehting , the guests will only be sleeping on it for a night or so.

Single handing a 35 footer is not much different to single handing a 30 footer. However, if smaller will suffice then A Sealine S28 or Targa 29/30 might fit the bill.

James L

Visit site
Single handing a 35 footer is not much different to single handing a 30 footer. However, if smaller will suffice then A Sealine S28 or Targa 29/30 might fit the bill.

I agree smaller will be better, my advice would be to get the smallest boat you think you could stay on, get used to it, then once you have some confidence move up to a bigger boat.
Once you have the confidence a 35' can be single handed, but a small boat you can manhandle is going to be much easier to learn on.
Plus much cheaper if things go wrong.

James L

Visit site
Maybe try renting out a small boat for a day and see how you get on.
I'm not sure what the biggest boat you can get without some sort of qualification is, but even a rib will give you a taste for maneuvering etc.

ST840

Visit site
Sealine S28 is what you need. Look for a face lift model with blue dash. It will be twin engines however so, be prepared for large servicing costs.
Cheaper servicing look for a shaft drive, I have a Starfisher 840. Single 260hp engine on a shaft and it carries some speed to boot . 24knts top end!

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Sealine S28 is what you need. Look for a face lift model with blue dash. It will be twin engines however so, be prepared for large servicing costs.
Cheaper servicing look for a shaft drive, I have a Starfisher 840. Single 260hp engine on a shaft and it carries some speed to boot . 24knts top end!

Yes i like this boat, i also like the SC29 as well with the hard top that can pull back, I also like the Jeanneau 850 Leader, thats my shortlist so far, hoping to add a few more if they meet the criteria.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site

Yes i like the S28 very much, can you tell me what the blue dash means? Is it a stripe on the hull or something?

CLB

Visit site
Yes i like this boat, i also like the SC29 as well with the hard top that can pull back, I also like the Jeanneau 850 Leader, thats my shortlist so far, hoping to add a few more if they meet the criteria.

The SC29 is fitted with early Volvo D3's. Some of these have proved problematic. I know of two SC29 owners who eventually sold their boats because of continuos problems with the engines. These were not serious or expensive breakdowns, but niggly little faults that curtailed their cruising and became very tiresome. On the other hand, if you get a good one, they are nice boats. A poster here D3B, also had lots of problems with an SC29, but I cant remember now if it was engine or boat related.

Jeanneau are not on the same league IMHO. Build quality of internals and fixtures and fittings are of a lower quality than Sealine. Lots of bare plywood and open backed cupboards, things self-tapped when they should be through bolted etc etc. Hulls are fine and boat will get you where you want to go, but I couldn't live with one again. Before anyone shoots me, I have owned both Sealines and Jeanneaus.

Considering your criteria, your leanings so far, and your budget, a nice late, very clean and immaculate S28 with KAD32's would fit the bill and leave you with loads in the bank. My only concern is that, if you like it, you might regret not going straight for an S34 :D

Just to throw into the mix, and probably much bigger than you want, if I had £90K I would be looking at one of these: https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1729633/

Scubadoo

Visit site
Yes i like the S28 very much, can you tell me what the blue dash means? Is it a stripe on the hull or something?

It literally means it has a blue dashboard and is more modern / updated as since the Sealine S28 did have quite a long production run. The earlier (90's) Sealine S28 where white / grey interior styling. However, there are a few single engine of that period but will be slower than the twin engine version.

I think you would be best to start with a smaller boat like S28 to see how you get on and get the confidence. I remember many years ago seeing a guy with a new S34 and scared himself just in the marina and ended up wedged side on between two pontoons, and refused my help. I didn't see that boat move again and was eventually sold or relocated.