Princess 43

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Finally, although I hate maintaining teak the absence of it on the flybridge makes it uncomfortably bright, so teak it is.
Maybe its not such a big issue in the UK but I would be worried about all that teak being exposed to the sun and being uncomfortably hot underfoot!

Anders_P42

Visit site
Nice spec. What size genny have they recommended given that Miele hob can draw circa 7.4KW?

Is there an option to upgrade water calorifier, does 32l sound too small? I have same size on my 10m boat.

Anders

A very productive day at SIBS today talking to Princess, Cummins, Raymarine and Seakeeper regarding the specification of my boat. For those that are interested I've decided to make a couple of additions to the specification.

Firstly, a Seakeeper SK5 gyro. I think it's hard to argue against the benefits this will bring to our time at anchor. The only downside - as with most really good things - is cost. It will be fitted by Princess during the build which avoids the 10 day retrofit time and hopefully result in a cleaner install.

Secondly, I'll be having Raymarine eS128 MFDs in lieu of the optional e128 units. The eS units look sharper, have pinch-to-zoom and built in CHIRP sonar.

Thirdly, Princess have agreed to fit (at extra cost) a Miele KM6115 4 ring induction hob instead of the optional Ceramic 3-ring hob (thanks jfm :) )

Finally, although I hate maintaining teak the absence of it on the flybridge makes it uncomfortably bright, so teak it is.

That was the easy bit. Have you seen the thickness of Princess's fabric books? :D

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Nice spec. What size genny have they recommended given that Miele hob can draw circa 7.4KW?

Is there an option to upgrade water calorifier, does 32l sound too small? I have same size on my 10m boat.

Anders

Wow 7.4KW!! The genny is rated at 9.5KW but has to run aircon so that's concerning! Princess suggested this model so maybe they know something we don't!

I'll look into the calorifier capacity, thanks.

Anders_P42

Visit site
Wow 7.4KW!! The genny is rated at 9.5KW but has to run aircon so that's concerning! Princess suggested this model so maybe they know something we don't!

That assumes you have all four zones on high, but not impossible I guess. The 11KW Onan uses the same engine and weighs the same as 9.5KW model, so may be worth having the extra capacity as there's no weight penalty?

jfm

Visit site
Crikey I didn't realise those things took 7++ Kw ie 30amps+! I just checked the spec on mine. No wonder my genset groans when the thing is fully turned on. I thought it would be a third of that!

BTW, from rather rough memory even the 17.5kva onan has same size/footprint as the 11.

This talk of not having teak on flybridge etc is just nonsense, It has to be teak! :D Magnum, go on specify white caulk for the decks - you'll love it. Looks uber contemporary

Last edited:

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
More seriously, on the f/b particularly, I've yet to find anyone regretting to NOT have specced teak, while I heard several folks regretting the opposite.
Hurricane being one example, IIRC - and he has a Princess, too...

Well, I didn't choose not to spec flybridge teak, but I did buy a used boat that didn't have it and used it for a season without teak. I certainly don't regret subsequently fitting it, even in the med. Glare is one issue, but also white GRP decks forever look dirty, and have a utilitarian feel, whereas teak is more welcoming.

Having lived with it for 7 seasons, I'd spec it on any new boat.

jfm

Visit site
Yup. My brother has just added teak to his flybr this season. And my old Phantom 42 was bought as a stock boat without teak, and we ran it like that for a while then had it teaked.

MapisM

Visit site
My brother has just added teak to his flybr this season.
Well, give him time, then. I didn't say that folks regret teak on the f/b just after one season, did I...? :D

Anyway, I do know several folks who in hindsight would have rather paid for NOT having teak on grp boats - and not just on the f/b btw, but also on the main deck. That's all I was saying, though I'm afraid that none of them post around here (aside from Hurricane, who as I understood is also not so happy about his f/b teak), so I can't ask them to confirm.

Regardless, I wouldn't dare arguing with views along the lines of "has to be teak", "looks contemporary" or "GRP has an utilitarian feel" (though the deck below doesn't feel utilitarian to me, just as an example).
At the end of the day, when it comes to "each to their own" and/or aesthetic matters, there's no such thing as right or wrong.
And fwiw, I very much like the look of dark hulls, but I wouldn't want one, just to make another example... :rolleyes:

LF.jpg

Portofino

Visit site

Or maybe they have a supply deal with the A/C manufacture ?? ---- maxing out on profit potential are,t keen to change ?
Furthermore making up selling a bigger geny easy :eek:

Check this out my 3-5 kva geny runs 42000 BtU and a three ring induction hob .Ask them to have look ??

Also it's whisper silent -so we can sleep with it on ( Med 30 oC some nights July /August )
http://www.frigomar.com/en/products...g-systems/chiller-inverter-dc-410-series.html

Last edited:

curiouskb

Visit site

I was told by Princess not enough space for gennie bigger than 9 KW on my boat.

Anders_P42

Visit site
I was told by Princess not enough space for gennie bigger than 9 KW on my boat.

But the 11KW has exactly the same size footprint:

9.5KW spec
https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/...nary_Asset/pdf/Consumer/specsheets/a-1478.pdf

11KW spec
https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/...nary_Asset/pdf/Consumer/specsheets/a-1479.pdf

The American spec boats ship with 11KW standard according to this spec sheet.

http://www.princessyachtsamerica.com/portfolio/Princess US Spec Guide 2015.pdf

Edited to comment, I suppose American gennie runs at 60Hz so probably the 9.5KW running at 1800rpm.

Anders

Last edited:

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Princess have agreed to fit (at extra cost) a Miele KM6115 4 ring induction hob instead of the optional Ceramic 3-ring hob (thanks jfm :) )

Nice spec. Regarding the induction hob, have Princess recommended any additional voltage or frequency control for the generator? I only ask because I fitted a De Dietrich two-ring induction hob to my boat, and although it works 100% reliably on shorepower, it is a bit temperamental with the generator. It seems that to get it to work I have to add load to the generator, which suggests some voltage issue perhaps; I'm sure I've read somewhere else that induction hobs are very frequency-sensitive. So I'm wondering if there's some additional control gear required specifically for induction hobs. (Generator is an Onan 4kw).

jfm

Visit site
It's the inductive load jimmy. those hobs have quite a significant power factor, perhaps 0.7 or something. Puts the voltage and current sine waves out of synch. So the current your genset needs to make to run the thing is greater than the nominal wattage divided by 230. Turning on some other loads might dampen it a bit (in that they serve as reactors). Lots of guesswork in all this - you need an oscilloscope/power analyser to get to the bottom of it

MapisM

Visit site
But the 11KW has exactly the same size footprint
Looking at those spec sheets, it appears that there are much more similarities than just the footprint.
In fact, the engine is exactly the same, with a max 18.1hp output at 1500rpm in both cases.
It just seems that the 11kVA unit uses more of those 18 ponies compared to the 9.5 kVa unit (in fact, fuel burn is slightly lower with the latter).
And if that's true and I'm not missing something, it's difficult to think of any reason for not fitting the 11kVa.
Other than a higher reliability of the less stressed unit, maybe?

jfm

Visit site
Looking at those spec sheets, it appears that there are much more similarities than just the footprint.
In fact, the engine is exactly the same, with a max 18.1hp output at 1500rpm in both cases.
It just seems that the 11kVA unit uses more of those 18 ponies compared to the 9.5 kVa unit (in fact, fuel burn is slightly lower with the latter).
And if that's true and I'm not missing something, it's difficult to think of any reason for not fitting the 11kVa.
+1. Common situation. For the builder, they may have to install bigger cabling to handle the potentially higher current, which involves rounds of checks and certifications, hence that can rule it out. but 9.5v 11 ain't much of a difference (6 amps)

Anders_P42

Visit site

That's right, same Kubota V1505 engine. There must be a few more windings that create the extra 1.5KW?

It looks a no brainer, but as jfm pointed out perhaps there are knock on effects installing 11KW model. I'm sure Princess will clarify their reasoning.

kashurst

Visit site
sounds like boll*cks to me. a 9kw gennie can output 38 amps, an 11kw gennie outputs 46 amps max. cable size should be @ 4mm2 - 6mm2 depending on distance to distribution board. Princess build much bigger electrical systems than this. I suspect someone cancelled a 9Kw gennie and they are stuck with it and want to get rid. The princess 43 is a 47 foot boat with @ 1000HP, size/weight difference is nothing. If you want an 11Kw gennie tell them to sort it.

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
Hi Magnum

I would love to read about your experiences and have them posted to the process owners club website. Please let me know if you are interested.

Re, this'd that have installed seakeeper, it would be great to hear how the install went and the difference v cost, would be of interest to many princess owners.

Thanks

Mark