Pouring diesel into the bilges

phodger

Visit site
I was a little upset to find that the 5 gallons of diesel I'd poured into my fuel tank last weekend were now sloshing around the bilges. Pouring even more into the tank to investigate the problem showed a stream of diesel issuing from underneath the tank. My immediate thought was "corrosion" and my plan for next weekend was to do something about it. However, a later thought was that there is actually a drain hole on the bottom of the tank and the plug may have vibrated loose over the years. The flow from the hole is very smooth; if corroded I would expect a more disturbed flow. Is my drain hole theory possible? If so, I'll swim around in my cockpit locker and hopefully find the offending article. Sorry if this question sounds a bit basic.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
You poor fellow. I think if there's an existing hole in the tank it's a good starting point.

I was sailing in the Tall Ships Race in 1999 when Jolie Brise suffered a ruptured diesel tank in the middle of the North Sea in fairly unpleasant weather. What a horrible experience even in harbour!

huldah

Visit site
Yep, diesel in the bilges is 'orrible, especially if the boat is made of wood. My leak was caused by a hidden crack in the slide type of tap.

All fixed and went for my first short cruise. After two hours, I felt that I had an exceptionally heavy cold. Even my inner ears became blocked. All symptoms cleared within half an hour of mooring the boat. I think the hot engine had evaporated some of the diesel.

Philip.