What diesel fuel do I get at the Marina pump?

bikedaft

Visit site
Ps have never had diesel bug. Don't use biocide. I remove a small quantity of water from the diesel tank rarely, with a Peela. That's me hexed myself for bug now!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The % of Bio in Diesel / Gasoline has had to be revised year after year ... initially a planned increase of % was set by EU and other bodies. But due to production never meeting the required volumes - such guidelines have been put back numerous times.
Any Bio volume of 5% or more - should be stated on the Station Pump ... ie B7 .. B10 etc.
Our fuel is delivered by mini-tanker, so we never see the pump. Fuel is delivered to the islands by ship, could be from anywhere. I read some time ago that most in Greece was 7% FAME.

bikedaft

Visit site
Please explain why not to use additive ... I'm intrigued. Or are you saying - you have never used ?
Sorry, I meant to say I have not used it.

Yanmay were clear that should not FAME in those engines at all. I guess/assume they don't want to spend money checking everything to the nth degree in a safety critical component?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
From comments on previous threads by people with seeming knowledge of the industry, and my experience of life in general and organisations large and small, I would be highly sceptical that the average boatyard/harbourside fuel outlet would know with certainty (rather than just say what they believe or thinks the customer wants to hear) exactly what fuel was in their tanks, beyond whether or not it is marked as non-road fuel.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Being an old cynic is every delivery guaranteed to be what it says it is?

Perhaps somebody who is in the fuel delivery industry can let us know what paperwork accompanies each delivery.

Refueler

Visit site
Sorry, I meant to say I have not used it.

Yanmay were clear that should not FAME in those engines at all. I guess/assume they don't want to spend money checking everything to the nth degree in a safety critical component?

Anyone remember Mercedes saying not to use ULSD when Sulphur levels were being cut - to stay with LSD... ridiculous stand to take ... then it was not use Bio Diesel ... all because they didn't want to upgrade their injection pumps and seals. Industry just ignored Merc and they had to swallow it and go with the tide.

I'm no expert on the mechanical side ... I only blended the stuff for various markets .. but I was told that the main concern was seals due to the FAME and wear due to reduced lubricity ...all easily solved by manufacturers.

Refueler

Visit site
Being an old cynic is every delivery guaranteed to be what it says it is?

Perhaps somebody who is in the fuel delivery industry can let us know what paperwork accompanies each delivery.

Each delivery must meet specific specs ... but unlike Aviation industry where each delivery is tested multiple times right up to truck to wings..... Road and Marine is tested batch style unless specifically required by customer (bulk buyer) - who then pays a hefty price for testing slate.

Just to illustrate ....

Tested when produced at refinery - base stocks.

Transferred to transit terminal - tested for export out.

Ship comes to load out, tests made - either as is / blended - or after additives to meet various specs.

Ship arrives discharge port - ships tanks sampled either individually or as a composite.

Ship discharges to shore tanks - which usually already contain cargo from another ship. Tested after complete discharge.

Trucks arrive for distribution to land stations - usually batch test only and same doc issued to trucks loading from same terminal tank. Only if a specific parameter additive is used - will testing be made of truck. Depending on that terminals policy - samples may be retained of the trucks loaded or of batch etc.

Delivery to Road Station or Marina is with those docs ...

That's how it happens where my guys are involved and we work in many different markets / countries etc.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Each delivery must meet specific specs ... but unlike Aviation industry where each delivery is tested multiple times right up to truck to wings..... Road and Marine is tested batch style unless specifically required by customer (bulk buyer) - who then pays a hefty price for testing slate.

Just to illustrate ....

Tested when produced at refinery - base stocks.

Transferred to transit terminal - tested for export out.

Ship comes to load out, tests made - either as is / blended - or after additives to meet various specs.

Ship arrives discharge port - ships tanks sampled either individually or as a composite.

Ship discharges to shore tanks - which usually already contain cargo from another ship. Tested after complete discharge.

Trucks arrive for distribution to land stations - usually batch test only and same doc issued to trucks loading from same terminal tank. Only if a specific parameter additive is used - will testing be made of truck. Depending on that terminals policy - samples may be retained of the trucks loaded or of batch etc.

Delivery to Road Station or Marina is with those docs ...

That's how it happens where my guys are involved and we work in many different markets / countries etc.
Thanks that is helpful.

Looks like there is a document trail, but suspect that most marinas would be shocked if anybody asked to see the docket.

bikedaft

Visit site
Anyone remember Mercedes saying not to use ULSD when Sulphur levels were being cut - to stay with LSD... ridiculous stand to take ... then it was not use Bio Diesel ... all because they didn't want to upgrade their injection pumps and seals. Industry just ignored Merc and they had to swallow it and go with the tide.

I'm no expert on the mechanical side ... I only blended the stuff for various markets .. but I was told that the main concern was seals due to the FAME and wear due to reduced lubricity ...all easily solved by manufacturers.
Yanmar did say their concern was the seals in the fuel system, but would not be more specific.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

Refueler

Visit site
Our boatyard no longer sells red diesel to pleasure owners so I use road diesel and add MR16 to combat a ny bug issues.

Interested in your comment as it seems to say that your change to Road Diesel has initiated your use of MR16 ... why ?

There is more chance of Bug development in Marina tanks than road station tanks. Based on the time frame of cycling of the fuel.