Possible causes of genoa jamming?

Refueler

Visit site
My late mother returned to nursing after I was born some 61 years ago, family legend goes, Sister shrieked at Doctor as he put plastic instruments in an autoclave. Materials had moved on since she left on maternity leave, but yes if there is a manual refer to it about the maximum temperature to wash you drum - I wonder if it goes as far as recommending soap or detergent ;)

I carefully said if they are greasing points and am quite sure that @steve yates understood what I meant.

I thought I posted in reasonable manner ?? Apology if taken wrong way .. not meant.

roaringgirl

bit.ly
I doubt if the hull moves up 25mm as this would be in the width , not the length & it would be at a strong point of the boat moving upwards against a keel stepped mast. Only 1.5 metres apart on plan

I built an extension on a church where the architect wanted 8mm steel wires across the bottom of the trusses to avoid heavy timbers spoiling the view up into the roof. These were to stop the trusses spreading outwards. There was a lot of discussion about how much tension I should apply. I forget the exact details, ( it was 30 years ago - I won an award for the job!!) but it certainly stretched them to the full length of a bottlescrew at one end of the wire leaving the other one to be further tightened at the 6 month maintenance period. I was not present when that was done so I do not know how much further it stretched. But it did stretch again. It certainly would not have pulled the walls, or several tons of roof, in.

As for boat bending. I do know that the designer of a 3/4 tonner (Dingo) stretched a line from bow to stern through the boat & then tensioned the rig & measured something line 1.5 inches of bend on the boat. They measured from the keel to the line as the boat bent. That was something that pleased him as he thought that amount of bend was quite small.
So boats do bend quite a bit & a masthead rig with tight backstay & forestay could bend a boat. However, I do not have a mast head rig.
You are clearly more experienced than me at working with rigging. I am keen to learn. What part of the stress/strain graph have I not understood?

steve yates

Visit site
Its a plastimo.
So, this morning I cranked up the halyard tension a notch, and checked the backstay, which had loosened, so tightened that up which imoroved the forestay, tho im sure it should be tighter.
Checked the leasing arm, its ok. Unwound the sail and wound it back by hand, reattached the furler line. And initially it still jamned, tgen after a bit of back n forth it freed. Ive now had the sail out and in on both sides half a dozen times, so we’ll see what happens when I leave this afternoon. It still feels as tho it wants to stick tho! Its just not smooth and effortless lije it used to be.
I’ll go pour some warm water over the drum. Yes there is a halyard deflector. I cant really see whats going on up top but my wife might be aboard tomorrow so I can watch with the binos hopefully.

Refueler

Visit site
At least you are getting there !! Good news anyway - that it turns well by hand ... so it looks like forestay tension ...

When turning by hand - you can 'feel and hear' when drum internals have salt etc. ...

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yes it _is_ my problem. Your empirical evidence says different to my theory, so my theory is lacking. I'm asking for your help to fix my problem!
I told you. It stretches. That is based on my experience. No theory required.
But if you do not wish to accept what I say, then I have no issue with that. Think what you want. That is up to you & we can ( Happily I hope) agree to differ. I do not care either way. End of. :)

Last edited: