Portuguese residency - current situation - advice needed

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Went to the Tavira Camara today. Applied for our 'Right to Residence' (also commonly referred to as Temporary Residence). All very straightforward. We collect our certificates tomorrow.;)

That's good news, it seems "temporary residence" is the new name as things will change when we leave, with a change of documentation for many of us.

capnsensible

Visit site
You prefer blackheel or blackloll?

Read through this very useful thread rather quickly. Am I right in thinking that Spanish temp. Residency incurs wealth tax on boat and conformity with Spanish flag requirements whereas Portuguese does not?
I paid import duty on my yacht but there is no requirement to re flag. ?

Reactions: RAI

shan

Visit site
Do people travel with the 'original' copy or do people travel with a photocopy of the 'Right to Residence' certificate? I'm a bit wary of travelling with the original, should something happen to it.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Do people travel with the 'original' copy or do people travel with a photocopy of the 'Right to Residence' certificate? I'm a bit wary of travelling with the original, should something happen to it.
I have a decent photo on my phone and leave the card at home.

Graham376

Visit site

Always keep photocopy backups of all documents. I have never traveled with or carried my residence card or the earlier certificate although that will no doubt change after 31/12 when entering the country and that will need the original one, not a copy. Photo ID should be carried at all times so, I have a scanned copy of my passport which is acceptable and of course photo driving license.

nortada

Visit site

Begs the question. Has anybody ever been asked to produce their Certificao De Registo De Cidadao Da Uniao Europeia?.

Until Brexit reared it's head, I suspect very few (even among the authorities) were even aware of the requirement to register if folk planned to stay longer than 90 days in Portugal.

Even after 31/12/20, I suspect the only time we will be required to present our temporary residency permit will be when we enter or leave the Schengen Zone, which could make logging days spent in Spain by Portuguese residents interesting.

nortada

Visit site
Always keep photocopy backups of all documents. I have never traveled with or carried my residence card or the earlier certificate although that will no doubt change after 31/12 when entering the country and that will need the original one, not a copy. Photo ID should be carried at all times so, I have a scanned copy of my passport which is acceptable and of course photo driving license.

Graham,

Given the rules on Portuguese Residents and driving licenses, what are your thoughts carry your driving license, passport and residency document when driving in Portugal or do you revert to being a tourist?

When driving I carry just a British Driving license and passport but no residency documents.

Post 31/12, rather than getting a Portuguese Driving License, I hope to continue using a British Driving license with an international endorsement.

I would add, we do not have a car in Portugal, so the only time I drive is in hire cars.

shan

Visit site
I have done photocopies. Just hesitant to travel with the original. I guess 'needs must'.

Graham376

Visit site
Graham,
Given the rules on Portuguese Residents and driving licenses, what are your thoughts carry your driving license, passport and residency document when driving in Portugal or do you revert to being a tourist?
When driving I carry just a British Driving license and passport but no residency documents.
Post 31/12, rather than getting a Portuguese Driving License, I hope to continue using a British Driving license with an international endorsement.
I would add, we do not have a car in Portugal, so the only time I drive is in hire cars.

As things stand now, as a resident you should change your UK license for a Portuguese one. Over the years, I've always played the tourist if pulled at roadside checks and my wife produces her UK passport, not citizen card. When license queried with the car being in my name I said we just use it when here on holiday.

With uncertainty about Brexit, I had the old farts medical and applied for a Portuguese license this March, they keep UK one for cancelling with DVLA. Was given a paper temporary license which is only valid in Portugal so, when driving in Spain and on return to UK, I technically had no license. Couldn't contact Portuguese authorities or DVLA during lockdown so went on to DVLA site, reported my license as destroyed and got a replacement. Portuguese license still hasn't appeared but when it does, the law says one of them must be cancelled;)

greeny

Visit site
As things stand now, as a resident you should change your UK license for a Portuguese one. Over the years, I've always played the tourist if pulled at roadside checks and my wife produces her UK passport, not citizen card. When license queried with the car being in my name I said we just use it when here on holiday.

With uncertainty about Brexit, I had the old farts medical and applied for a Portuguese license this March, they keep UK one for cancelling with DVLA. Was given a paper temporary license which is only valid in Portugal so, when driving in Spain and on return to UK, I technically had no license. Couldn't contact Portuguese authorities or DVLA during lockdown so went on to DVLA site, reported my license as destroyed and got a replacement. Portuguese license still hasn't appeared but when it does, the law says one of them must be cancelled;)
I finally got my permanent plastic card Portuguese license earlier this year after a 12 month battle over categories to drive. Long story so won't got into it here. Its more than 18 months since i gave my uk license to IMT faro who said they would cancel it automatically. Checked with DVLA online lat week and I still have a uk license according to them. So IMT either have a big backlog or they've forgot. :giggle: I did think about declaring it lost to DVLA and asking for a new one but that would be illegal so I'd better not.:giggle:

Graham376

Visit site
When going to the Centro de Saude I produce my UK EHIC. Clearly this will have to change post 31/12.

As a resident, you're entitled to a Portuguese EHIC. Go to the Centro de Saude with your residence papers and ask to register with a doctor but don't produce your UK EHIC even if asked for it. After you have you health registration no. go to the Loja de Cidadao and apply for EHIC. You will then be covered in EU if/when UK drops out of the system.

nortada

Visit site
As a resident, you're entitled to a Portuguese EHIC. Go to the Centro de Saude with your residence papers and ask to register with a doctor but don't produce your UK EHIC even if asked for it. After you have you health registration no. go to the Loja de Cidadao and apply for EHIC. You will then be covered in EU if/when UK drops out of the system.
Thanks will do.

shan

Visit site
Very useful information - thank you.