Portuguese residency - current situation - advice needed

nortada

Visit site
So I fly to Spain, syay a month, go fro there to Portugal (no border checks), stay for four months, go back across to Spain, passport shows I have now been in Schengen for five months and I have no proof otherwise?

Sounds like a recipe for a potential shambles.

- W

Plan ahead, as a Portuguese resident, get evidence of time spent in Portugal. Possible evidence of accommodation and receipts for all purchases made in Portugal.

Another option would be to depart the Schengen Zone from Portugal, as you are a resident should be no questions asked.

But I agree, the makings of a shambles and this is one of many?

GHA

Visit site
Sounds like it, if you want your passport un-stamping, i.e. your schengen clock stopping. That could be fun and confusion in Faro. Otherwise your clock will be ticking all the time your in your country of residence and that wouldn't be helpful to future travel plans. It's full of discrepancies and questions (and a few loopholes) that we won't know the answer to until someone does it for the first time after the New Year. Interesting times ahead. :) I wonder if they will be ready for us on the 1st January.
Same in Lisbon, just walk off the plane and out the door.
Good luck!!

nortada

Visit site
Otherwise your clock will be ticking all the time your in your country of residence and that wouldn't be helpful to future travel plans.

As you have unlimited stay in your country of residence, what’s the problem❓

If you entered or try to leave the Schengen Zone from a country other than your country of residence, then the ‘fun’ could start. Especially if you are travelling on a bit of outdated Portuguese A4 as your proof of residency??

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
My post #341 gives the reply from EU contact centre about stamping of passports when in transit, stating they should not be stamped. How will we explain to passport control in say Seville that we're on our way to Portugal so they shouldn't stamp us in to Schengen? Will residence documents solve the problem or, will we need a residence stamp in our passports? As Greeny says, we won't know until it happens in N Year.

greeny

Visit site
As you have unlimited stay in your country of residence, what’s the problem❓

Because if you fly /drive from UK into France/ Spain and get stamped, then drive through to home in Portugal without getting unstamped as you enter Portugal, your 90 in 180 in Schengen is ticking. Then if you do the return journey to UK via a similar route through the other schengen countries or even fly direct from Portugal you will find you have overstayed in schengen.
What Graham says would work but would Spanish/French passport control believe you with the A4 piece of paper many people now have.
I'll be flying direct UK - Portugal routes for a while until it bottoms out but at some point early in the spring I have trips into Germany to do. Hopefully there will be a "system" in place by then.

nortada

Visit site
Because if you fly /drive from UK into France/ Spain and get stamped, then drive through to home in Portugal without getting unstamped as you enter Portugal, your 90 in 180 in Schengen is ticking. Then if you do the return journey to UK via a similar route through the other schengen countries or even fly direct from Portugal you will find you have overstayed in schengen.
What Graham says would work but would Spanish/French passport control believe you with the A4 piece of paper many people now have.
I'll be flying direct UK - Portugal routes for a while until it bottoms out but at some point early in the spring I have trips into Germany to do. Hopefully there will be a "system" in place by then.

Ah I now see the problem. Trouble with convoluted travel plans. Think KISS may apply?

Like you, I will be only flying Faro - U.K. at least until the wrinkles have become apparent.

Then in the future we may have to modify travel plans to meet any new requirements. The bottom line will be to establish what will be required to prove where you were when; possibly fuel receipts, ATM transactions. supermarket and restaurant bills etc.❓

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Help - what is my NIF?

Got a certificate of residency, but can't see a Fiscal Number on it.

We were not given anything else.

What does an NIF look like? I gather we need one to register for a Health Service number.

- W

greeny

Visit site
Help - what is my NIF?

Got a certificate of residency, but can't see a Fiscal Number on it.

We were not given anything else.

What does an NIF look like? I gather we need one to register for a Health Service number.

- W
I'm surprised you managed to get your residency without your nif first. You got lucky. It's not officially a pre- requisite but some Camaras have made it one.
The NIF number is the nine digit number issued by the Finances department for use with all financial transactions, tax affairs, house rental contracts etc etc. You get it at the local finance office. Normally takes about 10 mins to be issued once you get to the desk. If you are an EU citizen you don't need a guarantor. I believe that if you are a third country you need resident to stand for you.
In these days of covid the problem will be getting in the finance office to see them without an appointment.
And yes you do normally need it before they will process your health number.

greeny

Visit site
Should we not have been given that at the Citizen Shop as well?

- W
I've just checked my wife's 5 yr temporary residency document and the NIF does not appear on it. Makes sense for it not to be on there because as I mentioned earlier, by the rules/regulations, a nif is not actually required for residency but they seem to have wrongly made it a prerequisite in many Camaras.
Maybe you were issued one and it's in the system, but just don't know what it is.
Either way you'll have to go back to see them unfortunately I think.

Sailfree

Visit site
If you have a Portuguese registered car a person complained on Silver Coast My Home website that his Portuguese insurance company have refused to renew his insurance due to not having a Portuguese Licence.

I have applied to exchange my licence online but in trying to fill out form it does not allow a British licence no to be entered! Put it in line above. Signed it and scanned it. E mailed it with residency certs and NIF, eye test and medical cert and scan of UK licence.

However nowhere could I see a requirement for an S1 form.

Not heard anything in last 3 wks.

Sailfree

Visit site
After 1st jan and once received my portuguese licence I intend to ask the DLVA to reissue my UK Licence to drive UK cars on UK Insurance from my UK house.

Could be interesting!

Beneteau381

Visit site
Sounds like it, if you want your passport un-stamping, i.e. your schengen clock stopping. That could be fun and confusion in Faro. Otherwise your clock will be ticking all the time your in your country of residence and that wouldn't be helpful to future travel plans. It's full of discrepancies and questions (and a few loopholes) that we won't know the answer to until someone does it for the first time after the New Year. Interesting times ahead. :) I wonder if they will be ready for us on the 1st January.
Just been in and out of Faro, arrive on Ryanair, come down the stairs and passport control in. Leaving go to the B part and passport control out and up the stairs, so we are checked in and out by passport scan. Thats why the EU internal flights are through the A part, no passport controls there

greeny

Visit site
Yes it was like that the last time I came through and has been for quite a while.
It doesn't solve the problem of how to get unstamped to stop the schengen clock when you drive through into Portugal, if your passport was stamped when you entered France at the channel port or Spain at say Santander.
(Or if you fly from another shenghen country into Portugal because you come through terminal A and there's no passport control there to get unstamped at.)
You will need to go and find someone at the road border (which is normally unmanned) and try to get them to un stamp it for you. Or maybe go to the airport and check in with them and get them to do it?
Who knows what secrets they've got planned for us (or not)?
Or just maybe, once the initial furore has passed, no one will give a monkeys.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
After 1st jan and once received my portuguese licence I intend to ask the DLVA to reissue my UK Licence to drive UK cars on UK Insurance from my UK house.

Could be interesting!
Me too!
I got my portuguese license 10 months ago and my british one is still live on the system and so ready to go I hope. It's never been cancelled. While it is illegal? to hold 2 different countries driving licenses at once when a European, it seems that the same is not true once you are not a European anymore. Or so I am led to believe by American friends who are resident here.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If you have a Portuguese registered car a person complained on Silver Coast My Home website that his Portuguese insurance company have refused to renew his insurance due to not having a Portuguese Licence.

I've never had a problem insuring Portuguese cars with a UK driving license.

I have applied to exchange my licence online but in trying to fill out form it does not allow a British licence no to be entered! Put it in line above. Signed it and scanned it. E mailed it with residency certs and NIF, eye test and medical cert and scan of UK licence.

The UK license has to be handed in and they issue a temporary paper one, which is only valid in Portugal. My paper one expired in August and I still haven't received replacement license. Checking DVLA site, I saw my UK license had not been cancelled so obtained replacement stating original had been lost.