Porlock Weir

Birdseye

Visit site
Now I have bought myself a 30ft bilge keeler I would like once again to visit Porlock. But its 25 years since I was last there. What is the current set up for visiting boats?

sarabande

Visit site
I was there mid November, Still some boats (all twin bilge keelers) on the E side of the entrance. Come the sailing season, the outer moorings as pretty solid (watch your cross-trees) but there are drying spots available in the Inner Harbour by prior arrangement. I guess the diary fills up early.

Somerset harbourmasters' contact details

Porlock Weir
Harbour Office on 01643 863 187, or Pud the Harbour Master on 07423 283 405.

Watchet Outer harbour, and Minehead
c.butler@somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk or Tel: 0779 945 6128

The beer in the pub is quite good. Happy to buy you one if you let me know when.

graham

Visit site
Harbour Master Pud is very helpful .I was last there about 3 years ago in a fin keel boat so we stayed afloat in the pool by the swing bridge.

Birdseye

Visit site
Harbour Master Pud is very helpful .I was last there about 3 years ago in a fin keel boat so we stayed afloat in the pool by the swing bridge.
Interesting. That suggests they are back dredging the pool in winter as they used to do when I last visited.

pessimist

Visit site
Further to what Tim had to say there is currently a shingle bar across the entrance. No doubt this will be removed before the season. For the past couple of seasons space in the pool has been restricted by an angling charter boat which seems to be permanently moored there.

Sneds

Visit site
That charter fishing boat looks like Anchor Man from Penarth so is not a permanent fixture.
If staying afloat is an option she may be replaced by SeaKist, our Sealine F36, this summer!
Who;d love a night in Porlock

Birdseye

Visit site
Thats the way they used to run it, but my last visit was a long time ago. Not unreasonable - it would be selfish to use the only small space for a fin if you were a bilge and could dry out elsewhere

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
When I was in that are we loved to visit Porlock. The bar is dug out before each season starts and no problem getting in near high tide.

We used to moor nose too on the western side by the old jetty ( under lifebelt in the pic) and the only risk was our bilge rising above the jetty on the flood so tip us over on the ebb. A large pole between hull and jetty on ebb or constructive use of side lines sorts that and much easier than Lynmouth. Pud the Harbour master always helpful.

Unless fairly shallow draft I would not take a fin or long keeler to sit in the pool without advice unless I had legs and then you have to row the few metres to the shore. Pud can tell you what depth pool gives and might well be fine for you.

A here's to the Ship