POOLE HARBOUR

G

Off to Poole with new boat for Spring Bank Holiday week and are looking for places to launch at slipway,24 foot boat slipway needed, secure place for car and trailer at not too expensive a cost, ideas for overnight moorings again not at very dear marinas within Poole Harbour. \This will be our first long distance trail and launch so are looking for ideas and experiences to hopefully make it a trouble free week!!! Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

G

There is a public slip at Baiter Park ,but I would suggest that at 24ft loa you may struggle to launch there.

Cobbs Quay would be my advice , its a little difficult manouvering into position but the slip is at a good angle for launching.

The new marina is open now they called it "Dolphin Haven"so be carefuful on the way in in case you pass any dolphins on the way out !...They are on VHF ch80

The marina is only available for over night stays and not for dropping of or stopping for lunch .But you can tie up to town Quay for a while.

As for stuff to do pay a visit to Brownsea Island...By boat anchore at the "back of the island" near China Quay (its shown on the charts) walk to the visitors centre which overlooks the harbour entrance.

Studland bay is also a popular venue, and there are fireworks off Bournmouth pier in August.

We like the place.

Ian

G

Steve, I would agree with one of Mark's suggestions - Cobbs Quay. They have everything you need for a weeks stay (food, showers, ideal slipway, parking etc). I'm not sure how much a week costs although as a guide we pay a bit under £2k (i think) for a 7.5m boat for the year at Cobbs - number is 01202 674299 Make sure you take your boat around the back of Brownsea Island whilst you are there as its well worth it Paul

G

New marina is about to open off Poole Quay.No toilets or showers yet so 10% discount on £2.82 per metre. You could try Cobbs Quay for launching i remember it had a fairly big slip but i've not used it personally.Hope this helps.