First Time Boaters (hopefully) :-)

simonfraser

Visit site
always good to keep an open mind when on this forum,
lots of experience here, some of us even with some knowledge ;)

GGC

Visit site
Have you had a full pre-purchase boat survey? Very important and will be required by any Insurance Company. A good survey will tell you what if wrong with the boat. in addition to what is good and what will be recommended to maintain it.

aldanjord

Visit site
The most honest advise I can give you is don't buy a petrol engined boat. If it is staggeringly cheap then fine but if not pull out.

Your fuel cost will be significantly higher , it is explosive ( this is a major deal on a inboard engine boat as vapour sinks and a relative of mine blew one to pieces in San Remo - literally blew it to bits ) , selling it will be hard and I gather in the U.K. it is hard to get ( no idea why was every med marina sells it as there are lots of tenders and outboard ribs that run on it )

Honestly just don't do it.
Petrol no issue for me it’s available where I am , I’m fully aware of the potential dangers of petrol having worked in formula as an engineer for the past 10 years

julians

Visit site
Have you had a full pre-purchase boat survey? Very important and will be required by any Insurance Company.
is pre purchasesurvey really required by the insurance co? I've bought a couple of second hand boats over the years and never bothered with a survey, and the insurance company didnt care .... I dont think its as black and white as you make out, it probably varies depending on boat type/age/value etc.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
My recent experience with this is that most insurers wanted a survey, with evidence that issues found had been rectified, but not all. Those that wanted a survey stated that any claim arising due to failure of a point identified in the survey would not be covered. This for a 25 year old boat.