Polish Flag Registration

Wansworth

Visit site
Do any of you have any experience with registering your pride and joy under the Polish flag? The good, the bad and the ugly, please
Interested in replies also,would consider doing it through an agency here in Vigo,especially for Spanish flagged boats it get you out of inspections and equipment controls and distance you can sail

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have no experience with Polish registry but many are now going that way .Some brits have got it in their heads it's not illegal or in time it won't be valid no idea why its an EU flag .
One thing you may need to check on is what your insurance have to say.

For those or remember Croatia before joining the EU was offering boat there a lower level of vat (5%) I think the rate was if they paid it before they joined
Many include the RYA and other sailing organisation was tell people not to pay it as it won't be illegal,
how wrong all where.

Wansworth

Visit site
Here a few years back many Spanish sailed under the Belgium flag to escape the controls under the Spanish flag.But the regulation changed and you had to live in Belgium so people now jumped to the Polish flag,how long it will beuseabletoavoid Spanish regulations is not known

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
An expat British friend has been looking at where to re-register the Spanish registered boat he bought earlier this year. Going through an agent, Polish doesn't appear much cheaper than going for Part 1 even though tonnage measurement needed. Part 1 also makes life easier for insurance.

Polish registered boats are more likely to attract scrutiny in EU waters than UK ensign, as it's well known to be the go-to flag for those avoiding tax in countries where boats are taxable asset or, when hiding ill-gotten gains.

Poignard

Visit site
You can register under the Irish flag.

A friend of mine did it using a firm in Ireland.

I was going to do it but my insurer would not continue cover if the boat was not British registered.

Wansworth

Visit site
Owning a Spanish flagged vessel means the boat has to have a survey every five years out of the water ,not particularly arduous or exacting and depending on your certificate you can sail a certain distance from the coast or nearest shelter and carry a few safety bits and bobs……including theFlag?. Under Polish flag you avoid a lot especially ability to go where you like

sailaboutvic

Visit site
An expat British friend has been looking at where to re-register the Spanish registered boat he bought earlier this year. Going through an agent, Polish doesn't appear much cheaper than going for Part 1 even though tonnage measurement needed. Part 1 also makes life easier for insurance.

Polish registered boats are more likely to attract scrutiny in EU waters than UK ensign, as it's well known to be the go-to flag for those avoiding tax in countries where boats are taxable asset or, when hiding ill-gotten gains.
I agree there probably not much different in cost part1 or Polish , I'm not sure where your mate is getting the rest of his info .
You are more likely to be stop and ask for documents on a red duster then you are with an EU flag even Polish .
Example is with a Polish flag you can go back and fro to Turkey without question on Vat no so much with a British flag .
I think the biggest concern would be insurance your with at the time .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ref insurance, being a single hander, getting insurance is very difficult.
I use to sail solo for over 15 years I was then and still am with pants .
My cover is still that I can sail solo and upto 250 miles off any European coast
I have cross biscay solo in the pass and covered .
You may pay a bit more with Pants but you get good coverages and they have a very good rep when it comes to claims.

billskip

Visit site
Owning a Spanish flagged vessel means the boat has to have a survey every five years out of the water ,not particularly arduous or exacting and depending on your certificate you can sail a certain distance from the coast or nearest shelter and carry a few safety bits and bobs……including theFlag?. Under Polish flag you avoid a lot especially ability to go where you like
The flag doesn't control where you can go, your qualification does, ie the rya ICC states limitations as to distance from land. Would you get a Polish equivalent of the ICC?
It's the way I read/understand it for a boat in Spanish waters.
You are supposed to be resident in uk for uk flag and rya ICC.. I think.

Wansworth

Visit site
The flag doesn't control where you can go, your qualification does, ie the rya ICC states limitations as to distance from land. Would you get a Polish equivalent of the ICC?
It's the way I read/understand it for a boat in Spanish waters.
You are supposed to be resident in uk for uk flag and rya ICC.. I think.
I have the patron the yacht which allowes me to sail max imum 12 miles offshore in a boat with all the required flares etc.I understood that if I register under the Polishflag I could go where Iwant without surveys etc,but I may have it wrong,In the event of buying a boat capable of sailing to the Azores I think I would have to reflag with Poland,but will do so via reputable agency in Vigo

billskip

Visit site
I have the patron the yacht which allowes me to sail max imum 12 miles offshore in a boat with all the required flares etc.I understood that if I register under the Polishflag I could go where Iwant without surveys etc,but I may have it wrong,In the event of buying a boat capable of sailing to the Azores I think I would have to reflag with Poland,but will do so via reputable agency in Vigo
First, this is what my thinking/interpretation is( its wide open for correction)
In UK ( vessels under 24mtr LLL under 200 gt )you dont need any qualifications for going to sea (inland water maybe necessary)therefore if a uk flagged boat goes to sea you can basically go where you like subject to you adhering to regulations other countries may enforce.
It is advised that ICC, insurance, radio license and paperwork for the boat will be required.
The flag of the vessel is nothing to do with where it can go.
The insurance will possible have restrictions and if the boat is outside those it will be uninsured and you will be responsible for any occurrence.
Insurance I think is really the main stumbling block.

Wansworth

Visit site
Yes sailing out of theUK you need no qualification.As a resident in Spain with a patron the yachts I am restricted to 12 mliesoffshore with the boat equipped to the list supplied by the state.There is anther level ,Capitain that allowes me to go anywhere .The Polish flag gets the state off your back with its compulsory surveys and visits from the guardia civil to see your properly equipped and of course I can sail beyond the 12 miles,but until I have a boat capable of offshore sailing I will stick with the Spanish flag,from what I can see the Spanish flag is still very popular.I don’t know sailing under the Polish flag if you need any qualifications.