Pogo 12.50 super quick cruiser

doris

Visit site
Does anyone have any personal experience of a Pogo 12.50 cruiser???
either as owner or crew.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Interesting (apparent, from the low response level) lack of direct Pogo experience on the forum. Given the strongly expressed views on this style of boat, in various threads. But maybe down to the specificity of the request…Pogo 12.5.
If you’re a Facebook person there is a modestly active (6posts in a week) 1700 member “Pogo Owner Group.” Good luck with the research!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’ve had a sail on a 30. For a halfmaran it was moderately quick downwind. But if you’re serious about sailing fast, you need to go over to The Dark Side. The cost difference isn‘t much, but you can’t swing a cat in a performance tri.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
Haven't sailed the 12.50 (though have done the AZAB competing against one) and have sailed other Pogos, including the 44. Very quick, generally very easy to handle, huge stability are all in its favour. Inside the 12.50 is relatively basic and doesn't have a large owners cabin forward - but otherwise there's plenty of volume.

ridgy

Visit site
What’s the motion like?
Question prompted by on board footage from the Class40’s. Albeit the Pogo’s are more pointy at the bow and heavier.
This article make clear that while being overwhelmingly positive about the boat, upwind might be an acquired taste from a motion and noise perspective:
Dream Yachts: The ultrafast Pogo 12.50 |

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
This article make clear that while being overwhelmingly positive about the boat, upwind might be an acquired taste from a motion and noise perspective:
Dream Yachts: The ultrafast Pogo 12.50 |
The 30 was exactly as you’d expect a quick, light displacement boat to be. Not as choppy as my tri, but Vancouver owners would complain bitterly.

Laser310

Visit site
I was actually aboard one for a tour
it was next to us on the dock at the Caribbean 600 one year.
I think it might actually be the one that's listed on Yachtworld now - it was being run as a pay-to-play business.
It was certainly a pretty cool boat, although it didn't look like that outfit had the funds to really keep it maintained to a very high level - everything looked a bit tired. I think the boat was getting a lot of use.
As far as it being a "cruiser".., well I'm sure it is for some people...
It certainly had the look of a boat that would appeal to a performance-oriented sailor who absolutely requires a boat that is fun to sail.., that rewards tweaking, and who looks at comforts and says; "who needs it?".
it's somewhat spartan down below and, and not a lot of storage, but fine for a couple.
I think it could work well if the cruising plans are weekends and a few multi-week cruises per year in comfortable climates.
Live aboard would also be fine, for the right owners, but probably terrible for the wrong owners.
If you are looking at that boat, I would look carefully. It's been a few years since I saw it, and it was tired then.

zoidberg

Visit site
Does anyone else consider this is just too topical for our 'obersturmbanfuerers'.....

53257061546_cca2ab7ba3_o.jpg

;)

doris

Visit site
Thank you for your input chaps.
I find references to lack of comfort odd. Yes there are some outright race boats that are a tad spartan but the normal fit out is every bit as comfy as a Moody or HR, it just is a tad more wipe clean and less of an Edwardian gentleman’s club down below. Sea motion might be a tad more frisky, but one can slow down if that’s s the only problem.
I just fancy one last boat that can really blast away and I cannot afford a sexy 40ft trimaran, at £900k a clip!!!

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Thank you for your input chaps.
I find references to lack of comfort odd. Yes there are some outright race boats that are a tad spartan but the normal fit out is every bit as comfy as a Moody or HR, it just is a tad more wipe clean and less of an Edwardian gentleman’s club down below. Sea motion might be a tad more frisky, but one can slow down if that’s s the only problem.
I just fancy one last boat that can really blast away and I cannot afford a sexy 40ft trimaran, at £900k a clip!!!
Know what you mean…..if you can find one, a JPK 39FC or its predecessor the 38FC, offers similar (Jean-Pierre would say better, when in cruising trim) performance with more creature comforts (like doors and sole boards) below v’s a Pogo. The RM’s are another step higher, in the homely fit out stakes, but heavier and slower. Maree Haute’s Django’s are of a similar ilk, but have yet to inveigle my way aboard one….

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
There is a video out ther of a chap crewing an RM across Biscay. He seemed surprised how comfortable it was for such a boat designed to be fast down wind. Obviously not as fast as a Pogo, but possibly worth trading ultimate speed for some comfort.

Cariadco

Visit site
There is a video out ther of a chap crewing an RM across Biscay. He seemed surprised how comfortable it was for such a boat designed to be fast down wind. Obviously not as fast as a Pogo, but possibly worth trading ultimate speed for some comfort.
I think that might have been Patrick Laine in his new RM. He sails solo everywhere, which he originally did in a Bav 38? and then another smaller yacht. but all his Vids a Brill:
https://www.youtube.com/@patricklaine6958

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Cesar, at RM, describes their boats as ‘fast cruisers’ and the JPK’s and Pogos as ‘slow racers.’ Slightly loaded, but making the point that that the yards come at quick cruiser design from different start points, on the cruiser racer spectrum.
not sure tye Pogo is a 'slow' racer. if the tanks are full, and you're fully loaded with canned soup and Fray bentos maybe. But it's pretty much a class 40. Just add crew, you'd think.

dunedin

Visit site
Cesar, at RM, describes their boats as ‘fast cruisers’ and the JPK’s and Pogos as ‘slow racers.’ Slightly loaded, but making the point that that the yards come at quick cruiser design from different start points, on the cruiser racer spectrum.
Judging by their incredible race results, there is nothing slow about the JPK racers